cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 and USB issues

W0lfecs
Level 7
Hello, I wanted to see if anyone else is having this kind of problem or if anyone knows of a fix.

When transferring large files, say 30 gig, to a USB 3.0 flash drive the thumb drive will lose its connection. Not only does the flash drive lose its connection but the keyboard LED lights will randomly cut in and out, the mouse will lock up, and the audio will cut out when this happens.

I saw on reddit where other people with z690 boards experienced similar issues but I could not find a fix. Seamed like people usually had some sort of a hub or really long USB cable when they had issues. I'm having this problem even when a hub or long cable isn't used.

My system:
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E
i9-12900K
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 (PC5-48000)
WD_BLACK 1TB SN850 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe
WD_BLACK 2TB SN850 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe x2 in RAID 1
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3
Corsair HX Series, HX1000, 1000 Watt, Fully Modular Power Supply
iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Display Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX PC Smart Case
Ducky shine 6 keyboard
Corsair Nightsword RGB mouse
Windows 11

This is with a fresh install of windows with all updates, all drivers updated, latest bios and everything else updated from Asus website as of 4/21/22

Troubleshooting I have tried:
I have tried multiple USB thumb drives. Most of which have been 3.0. I have tried different ports. I have tried moving the keyboard and mouse to different ports. I have tried different length cables for the keyboard. I have turned off AI overclocking. I have unplugged everything from the computer other than the keyboard mouse and thumb drive as far as USB ports go. None of these things fix the issue.

I have had success with with a USB 3.2 thumb drive transferring large files, but I only did it once and I can't confirm if its repeatable over an over again. I have also noticed that a longer USB cable will cause the keyboard LEDs have issues with the LED lights much faster than with the stock short cable.
26 REPLIES 26

DragDay7
Level 9
Out of curiosity, can you try to disable in bios PCIE NPM and see if it makes any difference?
Advanced Mode > Platform Misc Configuration > PCI Express Native Power Management.

Thanks

Thanks for helping.

I just tried disabling it. No luck.

DragDay7
Level 9
I had pretty much similar thing going on at the beginning - my keyboard would go disco mode while not responding to any key press. Same thing with sound. The only difference is it would happen when pc was idling once a while and sometime pc would freeze completely. Disabling PCIE NPM helped me but it doesn't help everyone.

You could try load bios default settings, lower used pcie to 3rd gen, disable pcie npm (try also in Windows power management), remove all device related software - Asus, WD, Corsair - there's Armoury Crate uninstaller tool on Asus website. Try disabling all usb power saving in device manager, remove devices that aren't required to run pc (additional drives). See if there are newer drivers around here in Z690 section.

There's something wrong with many Z690 boards. I was looking for solution too - spent whole month trying. I talked with few people having similar issue. Asus, Gigabyte, MSI - brand doesn't matter. After all only RMA helped them and so I'm waiting for my board to return.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi W0lfecs,
Do you have the issue every time you transferring 30 gig files to a USB 3.0 flash drive? Do you get any error message when it loses its connection? or the transferring stop without any error?
Are the keyboard led, mouse and audio back to normal automatically or until you remove the USB 3.0 flash drive?
Does it also occur on bios 1403 with bios all default settings?
Do you connect the keyboard mouse and thumb drive to the USB 3.2 ports of the rear panel?
Thank you.

I tried everything suggested. No luck.

Its not just with 30gig files, its just more likely to occur with larger/longer transfers. I've had it happen with much smaller files. I've purchased a few different brand USB drives all 3.2 gen 1 and I've had the same problem with all of them.

I've also had some other problems with this board so I decided to RMA it. Its sitting at Office Depot and will be picked up by FEDEX Monday 5/2, ground shipping. Will let you guys know the outcome.

The other big problem I was having is with the ROG M.2 Hyper card. I had 4 M.2 drives installed in total two on the motherboard for my C drive and 2 on the Hyper card for D drive both sets configured in Raid 1. The D drive would intermittently disconnect. I first noticed this browsing files on the D drive in windows explorer when it would occasionally freeze and say not responding. Than I started to randomly return to my computer only to see my screen saver displaying an error. My screen saver was set as a pictures slide show which used a folder stored on my D drive. When I reformatted for trouble shooting the USB issue I got rid of Raid on C drive and removed the hyper card and put the two drive from the hyper card on the motherboard and I no longer had issues with the D drive disconnecting.

A small problem I was having is the LED settings in the BIOS would not stay to what I would set them to. Therefore I could not get the lights to turn on when the PC was powered on and off when it was powered off. It was either on all the time or off all the time.

There are just too many issues with this board. I've waisted way too much time already. This experience has me second guessing my loyalty to ASUS, for over a decade now they have been my go to. I find myself wishing I went with the MSI carbon Z690.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi W0lfecs,
Thank you for your reply.
If there is any issue after send the motherboard with the ROG M.2 Hyper card to RMA, please let me know.
Thank you.

madenglis
Level 7
This is happening to me also. I have the latest Bios, Drivers, updates etc. It's especially bad if I'm mining at the same time I transfer a file. I get loud pops over the speakers and all my USB devices power cycle. The keyboard lights and mouse freezing are happening also. Is this more of an RMA than software/firmware fix?

W0lfecs wrote:
Hello, I wanted to see if anyone else is having this kind of problem or if anyone knows of a fix.

When transferring large files, say 30 gig, to a USB 3.0 flash drive the thumb drive will lose its connection. Not only does the flash drive lose its connection but the keyboard LED lights will randomly cut in and out, the mouse will lock up, and the audio will cut out when this happens.

I saw on reddit where other people with z690 boards experienced similar issues but I could not find a fix. Seamed like people usually had some sort of a hub or really long USB cable when they had issues. I'm having this problem even when a hub or long cable isn't used.

My system:
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E
i9-12900K
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 (PC5-48000)
WD_BLACK 1TB SN850 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe
WD_BLACK 2TB SN850 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe x2 in RAID 1
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3
Corsair HX Series, HX1000, 1000 Watt, Fully Modular Power Supply
iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Display Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX PC Smart Case
Ducky shine 6 keyboard
Corsair Nightsword RGB mouse
Windows 11

This is with a fresh install of windows with all updates, all drivers updated, latest bios and everything else updated from Asus website as of 4/21/22

Troubleshooting I have tried:
I have tried multiple USB thumb drives. Most of which have been 3.0. I have tried different ports. I have tried moving the keyboard and mouse to different ports. I have tried different length cables for the keyboard. I have turned off AI overclocking. I have unplugged everything from the computer other than the keyboard mouse and thumb drive as far as USB ports go. None of these things fix the issue.

I have had success with with a USB 3.2 thumb drive transferring large files, but I only did it once and I can't confirm if its repeatable over an over again. I have also noticed that a longer USB cable will cause the keyboard LEDs have issues with the LED lights much faster than with the stock short cable.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi madenglis,
Do you also use ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI motherboard?
What is the probability of the issue? every time you plugged the USB drive to transfer a file?
Does the USB flash drive disconnect without mining and just transfer a file? Is it the specific file, size or format? Have you tried with another USB port and USB flash drives?
Are the keyboard led, mouse and audio back to normal automatically or until you remove the USB 3.0 flash drive?
Are the speakers USB speaker?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi madenglis,
Do you also use ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI motherboard?
What is the probability of the issue? every time you plugged the USB drive to transfer a file?
Does the USB flash drive disconnect without mining and just transfer a file? Is it the specific file, size or format? Have you tried with another USB port and USB flash drives?
Are the speakers USB speaker?
Thank you.

Yes I use the ROG STRIX Z690-E Gaming Wifi Motherboard. I can replicate the issue every time. The drive only disconnects/freezes while transferring files. Mining makes the issue worse. Even small 600mb files cause the light flight and mouse freezing. If the drive is plugged in (any usb port or interface) nothing happens, only until file transfer. Speakers are NOT usb. Bios is 1403. Tried with default settings. Happy to try other things.