cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won't Boot, yet Lights are on. [Dark Hero]

johnnified
Level 9
So I recently last night Started my new build after 8 years. Technology has changed quite a bit so I am a bit rusty.

My issue is: When I turn on the PSU the motherboard lights up, but when I press the case start button or even the onboard "Start" button which is lit up nothing turns on. Not even my CPU AIO cooler turns on. Nothing feels like it is booting up. I just wanted to test everything before I installed the GPU and m.2 SSD. however nothing is starting up. Nothing is trying to start up, the RBG just stays lit.
12 REPLIES 12

world
Hey Johnnified, welcome to the ROG forum!

Could you list out your system specs? It would help a lot with troubleshooting.

world wrote:
Hey Johnnified, welcome to the ROG forum!

Could you list out your system specs? It would help a lot with troubleshooting.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Chassis
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @ 4.9GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8gb)@ 3600MHz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT SE Sapphire NITRO+ 16GB
Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB, M.2 NVMe
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT, 80 Plus Gold 1000W

As I reply, did notice my Motherboard ATX Powercable has 1 out of the 24 pinslots missing. However when I looked up replacements for this specific cable i see pictures of a slot or two missing from them. Even with one pin not plugged in I should be getting an error somewhere right rather than no response at all?

My box came with the "5000 Series ready" sticker on it, but should I flash the bios anyways to latest one to be sure?

I just bought the motherboard too and I am scared i might have gotten a bad motherboard and I am not sure how to go replacing it by warranty being all I have done so far is:
Socketed my CPU
Installed the cooler
Installed RAM
Hooked up the power cables (Carefully)
And when i went to make sure it would post, nothing, not even a red light.

Am I able to Flash Bios via USB while leaving the 5950x installed?

I mean nothing is turning on anyways and when the psu is flipped on the motherboard just has it's usual RGB lighting.

Doco
Level 9
So the motherboard has lights displayed but pressing the on button nothing reacts? (Just double checking thers not post codes to work off tbh)
i7-2700K @ 1.33v 4.6ghz/ Asus Maximus Extreme IV-Z
Nzxt Phantom + Nzxt Havik 140
His IceQ7950 3G/Corsair VX550
Finally Updated to Windows 7! :cool:

Doco wrote:
So the motherboard has lights displayed but pressing the on button nothing reacts? (Just double checking thers not post codes to work off tbh)

Correct. Motherboard's RGB lights are displayed but pressing the "START" button has no reaction. Nothing happens. Not even the plugged in fans to the motherboard CHA_FAN pins try to spin.

Doco
Level 9
Hmm only other thing I can think of is one of the psu cables not fully inserted in the board or psu side (24pin or cpu etc - I'm sure you prob. Found out by now buy just incase, one pin on the 24pin missing is normal)

It shouldn't be a bios issue as I bought the dark hero when it came out with a 5900x, came from an old intel system and didn't want to fiddle about with bios updates without a cpu - the board came with support out of the box for your cpu
i7-2700K @ 1.33v 4.6ghz/ Asus Maximus Extreme IV-Z
Nzxt Phantom + Nzxt Havik 140
His IceQ7950 3G/Corsair VX550
Finally Updated to Windows 7! :cool:

Doco wrote:
Hmm only other thing I can think of is one of the psu cables not fully inserted in the board or psu side (24pin or cpu etc - I'm sure you prob. Found out by now buy just incase, one pin on the 24pin missing is normal)

It shouldn't be a bios issue as I bought the dark hero when it came out with a 5900x, came from an old intel system and didn't want to fiddle about with bios updates without a cpu - the board came with support out of the box for your cpu

I think it is the motherboard. I bought a brand new PSU, plugged it all in, nothing again. Just stays lit

Â*I have confirmed it is the motherboard after a series of psu tests. Nothing turns on with three different psu’s and nothing happens, no boot, I even put a different liquid cooler on just to be sure but then realized this doesn’t make sense because it would try to put up at least just to turn off, so now I just need help using my warranty, I bought it only a week ago or 9 days ago.Â*

Nate152
Hi johnnified,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your motherboard.

Click the link below, scroll down to the second blue section and click "Chat with us"

https://www.asus.com/us/support/CallUs/