cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G74sx with files 3 years old???

Robert234e
Level 7
Alright so here is my problem... I bought my G74sx in January 2012. When I received it my SSD drive is over half full and constantly shrinking even though I have not installed anything to it. Upon searching the C:/ the winsxs folder is 10 Gb and growing... I paid $2000 for this laptop and there are literally HUNDREDS of files in the winsxs folder from 2009. This laptop is supposed to be BRAND NEW, not Refurbished... The sound quality was horrible out of the box but I fixed that with a few uninstalls of pre-installed audio stuff.

Please help me get my drive space back and explain why in Error report logs and folder dates are from 2009 on a brand new laptop bought and supposedly built in 2012. Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

BrodyBoy
Level 10
This doesn't mean your laptop is refurbished......Windows has many files that date to 2009 or before. (Look in Device Manager....there are many generic device drivers that date to 2006.)

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean about your SSD being "over half full and constantly shrinking."

It can be constantly shrinking if Windows is installing updates.

The files dating back are the date the file was originally created. You can replicate it by copying an older file (say a photo) to external media and looking at the creation date. It will be the date that your camera took the picture.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

What about the Error logs from 2009? I can understand the whole file created in 2009, but why would there be Error logs from 2009 as well.

As for the shrinking part, the only thing on my 150GB SSD (124GB usable) is the OS. However only 40.9GB is free and it is constantly getting smaller. I know windows did an update the other day, but I do not believe it should be taking up 80GB of space. Also I have another HDD I use to backup my system image to and it says system image is 172 GB, is this right? I apologize if this doesn't make since as I am confused by it as well.

JRd1st
Level 12
I don't know about the age of some of those files, but you may have crashdump files taking up your ssd space. Clear your temp folders. CCleaner should do that if you don't know where they are or you can use Google. Also look here http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/39784-where-dump-files-dmp-saved-after-crash.html
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

First off, Asus didn't sell you a refurb unit.... WinSXS is just a pain in the butt from Microsoft that eats SSD premium space.

Windows Vista / 7 have a directory under %windir%\winsxs which houses all the "compatibility" files. Basically they are snapshots of DLL's and such to ensure that a lot of applications have the correct version of files they need.

The smallest you can get the WinSXS directory is 6.25GB.

Few things you can do to tweak some space on your SSD and save space.

1.) Move swap partition to the secondary hard drive, that instantly frees up 1.5X the amount of RAM in your system in swap space on your SSD. I jammed my machine with 16GB of RAM so I just turned off the swap file completely - with that much RAM a swap file is unnecessary. Even with 8GB of RAM that is good enough justification to turn off the swap file IMO.

2.) Turn off hibernate mode and delete the hiberfil.sys (hibernate file) with this simple command powercfg -h off which instantly frees up 1GB minimum depending on the size of your hibernate file

3.) Cleanup WinSXS directory using this command: DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /SpSuperseded - it will purge out most of the junk files and go to the minimum 6.5GB. This clears out any of the Service Pack WinSXS junk it doesn't need. The /SpSuperseded is what tells WinSXS to keep what only has been added since the SP1 upgrade to Windows 7. Note that Windows 7 will increase the size of the WinSXS directory over time with addition of Windows Updates and installation of applications.

4.) Run the WinSXS cleanup clearing out Manifest cache using the commands below - run one at a time in a command window.
Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\ManifestCache\*
Icacls %windir%\winsxs\ManifestCache\* /GRANT administrators:F
Del /q %windir%\winsxs\ManifestCache\*

5.) Delete Windows Software Distribution Folder contents. Basically deleting these files are the cache of Windows Updates.
First turn off Windows Update service and BITS Service (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) then open %windir%\SoftwareDistribution and clear contents. After that turn the services back on and run Windows Update. Windows Update will think that it never ran before and scan your machine quick and make a new set of smaller files in this directory.

6.) Open "Computer " and right-click on the SSD and go to "Properties" and click "Disk Cleanup" it will take a second to scan and then choose the junk that it can purge and hit "OK"

That should free up a lot of space on the premium SSD space.

Actually, the hiberfil.sys (hibernation file) is the size of Physical RAM. One of the dumb design decisions of Windows--use the pagefile for hibernation, MS!!! It isn't being used while the computer is off...
Then again, LINUX can't hibernate into the filesystem--the swap space pretty much has to be its own partition.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Yes, the hiberfil.sys file could be really large as Zygomorphic suggests - but even if you have Hiberation turned off the hiberfil.sys file still exists hidden with a minimum 1GB of space taken.

Thank you all for the replies, I have determined that 25GB of space was being taken by some trial program, god knows how it got on my C:/ but I got it off. As for the Asus using clones for SSD, I can believe this. As for TEMP files I have none, I use CCleaner regularly, and run antivirus 2x a week just in case.

Thanks ROG Members, it is nice to get input from others who have the same type of computers.

dstrakele
Level 14
I suspect when ASUS first released the G74SX with an SSD, they created a Factory OS installation with ASUS Bloatware that is cloned to the SSD along with the hidden ASUS partition (to allow an ASUS Factory Restore when pressing F9 at startup). They continue to clone this 2009 OS image on the SSD's of new systems.

I also suspect the files are compressed on the SSD (i.e Compression is enabled on the OS partition) to make everything fit and leave some free space for future updates.

This is why you observe 2009 error logs on a system built in 2012, and the Windows System Image is much larger on the UNCOMPRESSED partition on the HDD.

Your Temporary Internet Files from Browsing as well as the files saved to the default Windows Libraries (Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos) will also consume SSD space until they're moved.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT