Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

BIOS 4201 Destroyed Windows on Crosshair VIII Dark Hero board

I flashed the 4201 BIOS that was released in beta today, and it completely destroyed my Dark Hero board. Will just not boot Windows, only gets stuck at a F3 Qcode error. I have tried everything, including flashing back to earlier versions, and no matter what my board is just stuck forever at the F3 code. No idea what further I can do besides throw the board in the garbage, but as a warning 4201 is basically malware and should be avoided. It will destroy your board.

ROG Enthusiast Array SubiXT PC Specs
    SubiXT PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Crosshair Dark Hero (WI-FI)
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 9 5950X
    Memory (part number)BL2K16G36C16U4BL
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG 3080 TI
    MonitorLG UltraGear
    CPU CoolerArctic Liquid Freezer II 360 ARGB
    CaseCorsair 7000D
    Power SupplyCorsair 1600
    OS Windows 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Zorn_ View Post
    I flashed the 4201 BIOS that was released in beta today, and it completely destroyed my Dark Hero board. Will just not boot Windows, only gets stuck at a F3 Qcode error. I have tried everything, including flashing back to earlier versions, and no matter what my board is just stuck forever at the F3 code. No idea what further I can do besides throw the board in the garbage, but as a warning 4201 is basically malware and should be avoided. It will destroy your board.
    I had the same issue and I had to reinstall windows again. I am using 4201 but for some reason, it locks the OS.

New ROGer Array jeordiewhite PC Specs
    jeordiewhite PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Predator PH517-61
    MotherboardROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI)
    ProcessorRyzen 9 5950x
    Memory (part number)GSkill F4-3600C16-16GTZNC 16GBx2=32GB total
    Graphics Card #1EVGA Geforce 1080 Ti FTW3
    Sound CardCreative AE-5
    Monitor3x Samsung 32" 1440p curved freesync 144hz gaming monitors with HDR and quantum dot
    Storage #1Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 SSD 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i Pro RGB AIO
    CasePhanteks Enthoo 719
    Power SupplyEVGA G3 1000w
    Keyboard Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard
    Mouse Naga Hex v2
    Headset BeyerDynamics 880
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM330 XL
    Headset/Speakers Bose
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterXfinity
    Accessory #1 External back up array

F3 Recovery image is found is what the bios states for the code F3 in the manual.

Couple of questions, did you have TPM and encrypted drives? Bios tends to get wiped during an update and lose important information and unless you can enter your recovery keys in, your installation would be lost and require a reinstall.
    Did you take the time to set your bios with all the settings you know or change during a setup after a bios update? Even try locating the eufi booting option and making sure its booting into windows
    Did you try the button on the back of your motherboard labeled bios or clear cmos?
    From the above post it sounds like you may need to try to recover windows or reinstall.

I believe your motherboard has a 3 year warranty. Which means if for some reason it doesn't boot, you can send it in to asus for a repair or replacement. All is not lost.
    However likely the case is this can be resolved by reinstalling windows or if you can, boot with a windows disk or flash drive and see if you can do a recovery first.

ROG Enthusiast Array Aysberg PC Specs
    Aysberg PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-7980XE
    Memory (part number)4 x F4-3200C14-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra Gaming (11G-P4-2382)
    Graphics Card #2EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Gaming (11G-P4-2382)
    Monitor1x LG 34GK950G / 2 x HP DreamColor Z27x
    Storage #12 x Samsung NVMe 970 EVO 2TB / Samsung NVMe 3 x 960 EVO 1TB
    Storage #24 x SanDisk SDSSDHII960G
    CPU Coolercuplex kryos NEXT
    CaseLianLi PC-A75X
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1200i
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
    Mouse Roccat LEADR
    Headset AKG K712 + ModMic 5
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 1909
    Network RouterMikroTik CRS317-1G-16S+RM
    Accessory #1 Mellanox ConnectX-3
    Accessory #2 Asus Hyper M.2 X16 Card

I guess Bios 4201 destroyed your Windows install is a bit more fitting. Did you use BitLocker?

I have no problems with 4201, but I have a discrete TPM module running, so there could be some issues using fTPM I am not aware of. I used flashback and restored all values by hand.

Have you been able to bring your OS back? Can you enter the BIOS, guess not?
    Last edited by Aysberg; 04-29-2022 at 02:32 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array SubiXT PC Specs
    SubiXT PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Crosshair Dark Hero (WI-FI)
    Memory (part number)BL2K16G36C16U4BL
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG 3080 TI
    MonitorLG UltraGear
    CPU CoolerArctic Liquid Freezer II 360 ARGB
    CaseCorsair 7000D
    Power SupplyCorsair 1600
    OS Windows 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Aysberg View Post
    I guess Bios 4201 destroyed your Windows install is a bit more fitting. Did you use BitLocker?

I have no problems with 4201, but I have a discrete TPM module running, so there could be some issues using fTPM I am not aware of. I used flashback and restored all values by hand.

Have you been able to bring your OS back? Can you enter the BIOS, guess not?
    I also have a discreet TPM module. I received a 64 q-code. I do not use BitLocker or any virtualized security. I was able to move forward by doing a reinstall. Never had this issue before.

New ROGer Array J Bish PC Specs
    J Bish PC Specs
    MotherboardCrosshair VIII Formula
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5950x
    Memory (part number)64gb KHX3600C18D4
    Graphics Card #1XFX 5600XT
    Graphics Card #2XFX 5600XT
    Sound CardCreative A-E5
    MonitorProArt PA329CV
    Storage #1WD SN850 512gb
    Storage #2WD Black Sata 6gb
    OS Windows 11 (All Current)

Have the Crosshair VIII Formula and no issues here with beta bios 4201.

This thread here may help... Dont know system specs etc., but maybe...

Soluzar74

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/commen...ing_q_code_f3/
    Last edited by J Bish; 04-29-2022 at 06:27 PM.

ROG Member Array ManMountain PC Specs
    ManMountain PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-64GTZN 64GB 2x32GB DDR4 3600MHz
    Graphics Card #1RTX 3080 TUF OC V2
    Sound CardOnboard
    MonitorSamsung C49RG90SSU 49
    Storage #15 x HDD (20 TB)
    Storage #24 x SSD (6 TB), 1 x NVMe (1 TB)
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CasePhantek Eclipse P600S
    Power SupplySuper Flower Leadex II 850W 80 Plus Gold Modular
    Keyboard Corsair K60 RGB PRO
    Mouse Corsair HARPOON RGB PRO
    OS Windows 11 Pro Workstation

No issues updating to 4201 beta.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zorn_ View Post
    I thing you erase the key ftPm. for default the bios come on Erase, you need disable it, before reboot.
    Check the Ftpm and read!!!!
    you need read! always.
    solution reinstall windows
    thats all

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I will share my experience with my new Crosshair VIII Dark Hero and this awful 4201 BIos update.

I just switched from Intel to AMD and my new board came with I believe 3801 and it worked OK, but I just received the board so I couldn't tell how stable it was.
    I updated to the latest 4201 and things seem OK, but this BIos is so flaky that is almost scary to touch any Bios settings.
    I run my system at stock settings and the only thing I changed I have enabled D.O.C.P Standard which is (lintels XMP) and enabled ErP to S4 and S5 and things seem OK, but as soon as I try to play with some settings e.g. "Precision Boost Overdrive" and I want it to disable to see the difference, I started getting BSODs. I have reverted back to Auto, but nothing but BSOD's, even resetting bios to defaults wouldn't fix it, still BSOD's.
    Something is definitely wrong with Bios 4201 and Asus should fix it. We aren't the only one, there is a lot of people that say the same thing about this Bios is mess.
    Last edited by Megascrypt; 09-07-2022 at 05:16 AM.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Intel NUC laptop LAPQC71D
    MotherboardROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
    ProcessorAMD 5800X
    Memory (part number)32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix RTX3090Ti
    Sound CardSound Blaster Z
    MonitorAORUS FV43U
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    CPU CoolerCustom loop
    CaseBeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 V2
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard ROG Strix Flare II Animate
    Mouse ROG Chakram X
    Headset Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad ROG Scabbard
    Headset/Speakers Logitech z906 5.1
    Network RouterpfSense/OPNsense

Quote Originally Posted by Megascrypt View Post
    I will share my experience with my new Crosshair VIII Dark Hero and this awful 4201 BIos update.

I just switched from Intel to AMD and my new board came with I believe 3801 and it worked OK, but I just received the board so I couldn't tell how stable it was.
    I updated to the latest 4201 and things seem OK, but this BIos is so flaky that is almost scary to touch any Bios settings.
    I run my system at stock settings and the only thing I changed I have enabled D.O.C.P Standard which is (lintels XMP) and enabled ErP to S4 and S5 and things seem OK, but as soon as I try to play with some settings e.g. "Precision Boost Overdrive" and I want it to disable to see the difference, I started getting BSODs. I have reverted back to Auto, but nothing but BSOD's, even resetting bios to defaults wouldn't fix it, still BSOD's.
    Something is definitely wrong with Bios 4201 and Asus should fix it. We aren't the only one, there is a lot of people that say the same thing about this Bios is mess.
    You mentioned you had already updated it before testing so it's possible there are other instabilities that went undiscovered? Have you since disabled DOCP and ensured the memory is running at base speeds? I have found that XMP/DOCP doesn't work with all kits and sometimes you have to start at 2666 and work your way up to find the max speed for that kit on your specific system.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast