Power SupplySeasonic PX-1000
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma Overwatch
    Mouse Corsair Scimitar
    Headset Steelseries Artics 7
    Mouse Pad Razer Manticor
    Headset/Speakers Swans Hivi M50W
    OS Windows 11 Education

Quote Originally Posted by Ribellu View Post
    Personally since I changed my motherboard and its components, I never had a problem with the XMP profiles, on the other hand I always choose only two DDR sticks and never four, better stability and dual channel.

And I always choose kits compatible with my MB listed on the ASUS QVL website.
    hello, i have simmilar specs with you
    hero + i7kf+ 3080ti
    but when i read ur spec is corsair 5200, do you test memory with speed 6000 already?
    because i lowering the speed to 5600 is stable now. but still 6000 cant use until now.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by trihy View Post
    If you have a friend with alder lake and other brand motherboard, ask to check vcore. This could answer our clues
    I'm certainly going to be tempted to buy another brand motherboard if this thing freezes up randomly one more time. I'll let everyone know what I learn if/when I do.

(I'm still trying to rule out external hardware and third-party software on mine.)

New ROGer Array

I've just hit the 48hr stable mark with c-states turned off, so going to start testing with it turned on and logging CPU vcore voltage to see if that's what's causing the lock ups. Hopefully we can collectively get to the bottom of this, since Asus seems to be kinda slow moving.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Turning off c states or using fixed voltage are some kind of workarounds in the meantime.

Didn't expect to have so many problems with this platform. Random freezes are painful. Just hearing some music and random freeze with a beeeeeeee sound, what a pain.

Couldn't find more info about idle voltage. But clearly random freezes at idle are cpu bound.

New ROGer Array

Sharing more information from last night's testing.

At least in my case I can clearly say it didn't seem to be low voltage that was causing the freezes, or at least... Not what HWinfo was recording. Yes it DID freeze again with C-states on when left idle, so I can at least confirm that works as a solution for me. Here's the Vcore values as recorded by HWinfo.

MAX - 1.279
    Min - 0.719
    Avg - 1.012
    (Note, in Windows, I have basically zero power saving, everything is set to be at full 100%, no monitor standby even.)

Looking at the graph as well at time of freeze... Voltage never dropped below 0.7, at least not to the very very low numbers you guys were getting. I'm not sure why turning off C-States has actually given me stability, I suspect perhaps it DOES have to to with voltage somehow but I'm not sure. 0.7xx does not seem too low to me, it's only slightly lower than the lowest in spec (0.8) for the CPU. I don't know why in my case but C-states is somehow causing freezes. Remember I have no OC, no voltage offset at all, everything is stock except XMP II is enabled. I figure I have to get everything stable before I attempt any kind of OC-ing!

So, the mystery continues for me. Don't know what exactly but it my case it does not appear that C-states is lowering voltage too much and causing freezing. It could be a different voltage value I wasn't graphing, but yes... For now I have a solution that works for me. I hope it works for you too.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I guess it depends on which clock the cpu was when you were getting 0.7xx

Maybe voltage transitions are having some problems on this boards?

I read many oc guides and all says freeze are related to low cpu voltage. Bsod to unstable ram. But could be wrong.

Also some users getting 0.2xx drops and others 0.7xx Doesn't seem right.
    Last edited by trihy; 05-04-2022 at 03:50 AM.

New ROGer Array

Yes very true. If I had to guess, what data we have gathered so far definitely point to voltage transitions causing instability... Unfortunately I wasn't monitoring CPU clocks simultaneously, though I could... For now though I think I'm going to enjoy the machine that I finally managed to get stable after 1 week of troubleshooting! I'll get back to testing at a later date, and probably post findings here. Don't let me stop you guys though, I'll still watch this thread for any updates and try to help when possible.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Braegnok PC Specs
    Braegnok PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus Z690 Apex
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-12900K
    Memory (part number)CMT32GX5M2X6600C32
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    MonitorAsus Swift PG32UQX
    Storage #12TB Seagate FireCuda 530 SSD
    Storage #24TB Seagate FireCuda 120 SSD
    CPU CoolerEK-Quantum Velocity2
    CaseTT A700 TG
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate
    Mouse G502 Lightspeed
    Headset SteelSeries Arctis Pro
    OS Windows 11 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone@ROG View Post
    Hello,

Overclocking is never guaranteed, DDR5 is no different. Speeds above 6000MT may require manual tuning on some CPU (most often with VCCSA and Memory Controller VDD)

6400 working on the Apex @ XMP

Attachment 92922

6200 on the Extreme (@ 1T)

Attachment 92923
    +1.

I haven't had any issues running DDR5 in XMP on my systems.

Running 1302 currently on Apex.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apex build hardware.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	404.8 KB 
ID:	92952

Running 1403 currently on Z690-I.

Name:	itx build hardware.jpg 
Size:	383.6 KB 
ID:	92953

I have tested several DR 2X32 modules in both systems with no issues running XMP, or manual settings up to 6000MHz.

Personally I do not think it's a BIOS issue if your system will not run memory XMP profiles.

Your CPU will be the determining factor, having a solid IMC is needed for plug & play running DDR5 XMP profiles stable on Z690 systems.

Those with a feeble CPU IMC can overcome XMP instability issues by simply lowering memory speed, or adjusting voltages.

Unfortunately a motherboard BIOS update will not fix a weak CPU IMC.
    Last edited by Braegnok; 05-04-2022 at 12:12 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by adrianpavee View Post
    Yes very true. If I had to guess, what data we have gathered so far definitely point to voltage transitions causing instability... Unfortunately I wasn't monitoring CPU clocks simultaneously, though I could... For now though I think I'm going to enjoy the machine that I finally managed to get stable after 1 week of troubleshooting! I'll get back to testing at a later date, and probably post findings here. Don't let me stop you guys though, I'll still watch this thread for any updates and try to help when possible.
    The puzzling thing in my case was that I had about two months of zero problems whatsoever, followed by a transition to problems almost like clockwork every three days. My RAM doesn't support XMP at all; it's super basic Samsung DDR5 4800, and it survived fine with 16 hours of Memtest86 pro.

All the trouble I've been having seems to vaguely coincide more with a Windows update circa April 5 than anything else, but I haven't been able to determine why for certain (yet).

New ROGer Array AwenMilano PC Specs
    AwenMilano PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Z690 Hero
    ProcessorI7 12700 KF
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
    Graphics Card #1MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X
    MonitorAsus XG 279Q
    Storage #1WD Black SN850 2Tb
    Storage #2Team Delta Max 1Tb
    CPU CoolerAsus Ryujin II 360
    CaseCooler Master Cosmos C700M
    Power SupplySeasonic PX-1000
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma Overwatch
    Mouse Corsair Scimitar
    Headset Steelseries Artics 7
    Mouse Pad Razer Manticor
    Headset/Speakers Swans Hivi M50W
    OS Windows 11 Education

Quote Originally Posted by Braegnok View Post
    +1.

I haven't had any issues running DDR5 in XMP on my systems.

Running 1302 currently on Apex.

Name:	Apex build hardware.jpg 
Size:	404.8 KB 
ID:	92952

Running 1403 currently on Z690-I.

Name:	itx build hardware.jpg 
Size:	383.6 KB 
ID:	92953

I have tested several DR 2X32 modules in both systems with no issues running XMP, or manual settings up to 6000MHz.

Personally I do not think it's a BIOS issue if your system will not run memory XMP profiles.

Your CPU will be the determining factor, having a solid IMC is needed for plug & play running DDR5 XMP profiles stable on Z690 systems.

Those with a feeble CPU IMC can overcome XMP instability issues by simply lowering memory speed, or adjusting voltages.

Unfortunately a motherboard BIOS update will not fix a weak CPU IMC.
    hmm, can we rma the cpu if this happen?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast