cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B-350 when I reboot it chooses wrong drive

DsAMD
Level 7
I recently moved the OS from the m.2 drive to another drive and whenever I reboot the PC it always tries to go to the m.2 even though the other hard drive is set as the first option. How can I completely remove the m.2 as a boot option so the board doesn't even see it? All help is greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

world
Hey DsAMD,

A few questions about your setup to help with the troubleshooting process:

What is your drive configuration? You have 1 m.2 drive-- what's your other drive you're trying to boot off of?

If you override the boot and select your other drive, does everything work fine on that boot?

When the motherboard tries to boot from your m.2 drive, do you get any kind of error message?

Finally, how did you move the OS from one drive to another?

world wrote:
Hey DsAMD,

A few questions about your setup to help with the troubleshooting process:

What is your drive configuration? You have 1 m.2 drive-- what's your other drive you're trying to boot off of?

If you override the boot and select your other drive, does everything work fine on that boot?

When the motherboard tries to boot from your m.2 drive, do you get any kind of error message?

Finally, how did you move the OS from one drive to another?

Somehow it fixed it self but I don't have confidence it will remain fixed. To answer your questions:

Its a SATA SSD and what I did was I used Easus Todo back up to get a back up image of the system and then I restored it to the SATA SSD. The original image was taken from when the OS was on the M.2. After I did the restore, I formatted the M.2 drive. The message I got was the typical Windows boot up error message with the blue screen telling you to put in a recovery disk.

I don't want to give the impression that it magically fixed itself without me changing anything. I did go into the BIOS settings and I changed it in the secure boot section from Windows UEFI mode to "other OS" and it started rebooting normally. I thought this change is what did it but I switched it back to see if the problem would re-emerge and it did not so it left me scratching my head thinking that had nothing to do with it. The BIOS settings on this board has always been a bit wonky for me. I plan on building a new gaming PC next year and I have been using Asus board for 11 years so I doubt I will try something else but I have to mention it hasn't been all roses with this board.