cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ProArt Z690 - Thunderbolt Daisy Chaining not working

asus5234
Level 7
Hello,

I do have a ProArt Z690 and do also have a 4k Thunderbolt Monitor that supports daisy chaining. I am using it to connect an additional 4k Monitor via one thunderbolt cable.

This setup works fine on my laptop.

Now I was hoping to use the same setup with the ProArt. However, I can't get daisy chaining to work. Using Thunderbolt + HDMI both monitors work fine.

I also tried both windows and linux without success. It doesn't even work in the BIOS so I don't think it's a driver issue.

I tried all the various BIOS options that relate to Thunderbolt but had no success.

Did anybody else manage to make this work?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

funkyd
Level 7
Are you using integrated or external graphics? With an external GPU, you'll need to connect the DisplayPort of your GPU into the DisplayPort-IN 1 of the motherboard and then use USB-C 1 to connect your monitor. Otherwise, with integrated graphics, USB-C 1 is supposed to output the DP signal by default. If you're changing around cables, make sure to do it when the system is off.

I don't have this MB and don't use thunderbolt graphics on my system, but hope this is helpful!

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for not mentioning that but no I don't have an external GPU.

Just using the integrated GPU on my 12900K. Neither of the two thunderbolt ports work for daisy chaining.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi asus5234,
Is the display normal on the first monitor connecting to USB-C 1 on the motherboard but the second monitor connecting to the first monitor with daisy chaining is no display?
Have you tried on bios 1403 with bios all default settings and also tried connecting the second monitor to USB-C 1 on the motherboard and then connecting to the first monitor with daisy chaining?
May I have a video about how you connect two monitors and how they shows?
Please also share me the brand and the model name of your two monitors and thunderbolt cable.
Thank you.

Thanks STARRAIN@ROG,

> Is the display normal on the first monitor connecting to USB-C 1 on the motherboard but the second monitor connecting to the first monitor with daisy chaining is no display?

That is correct, video on USB-C1 is completely fine but the second monitor connected via thunderbolt to the first doesn't show any video. The USB functionality does work though (i.e.: USB devices connected to the second monitor are recognized fine).

> Have you tried on bios 1403 with bios all default settings and also tried connecting the second monitor to USB-C 1 on the motherboard and then connecting to the first monitor with daisy chaining?

I am on Bios 1403 and have tried with all default settings yes. Unfortunately the second monitor doesn't have a downstream thunderbolt so I can't test it that way around.

> Please also share me the brand and the model name of your two monitors and thunderbolt cable.

First monitor is Lenovo ThinkVision P27u-20 (using the supplied cable). Second monitor is LG 27UL850-W.

Can I just confirm wheather Thunderbolt daisy chaining is generally supposed to work?

Hope that helps,
Thanks

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi asus5234,
Thank you for your reply.
I'll consult our tech team more about this.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi asus5234,
After consulted our tech team, if you use integrated GPU, only one monitor shows the video.
If you want to use daisy chain, please install a discrete graphics card and refer to page2-19 in our user manual to connect the DisplayPort of your discrete graphics card to the DisplayPort-IN port on the motherboard for two DisplayPort set.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/ProArt_Z690-CREATOR_WIFI/E18933_ProArt_Z690-CREATOR_WI...
Thank you.

Thanks for coming back.

That is quite disappointing though. The whole point of Thunderbolt is to support daisy chaining.

Could have gone for a lot cheaper motherboard then without thunderbolt.

Might send this one back in that case.