cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZenWiFi AX6600 problems switching from one node to another..??

angelleye
Level 7
I have the ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 Mesh system with 2 nodes, one on each end of the house.

Everything is working just fine as long as the device doesn't move.

However, devices like phones, tablets, etc. are dropping off the WiFi when I move around the house.

I'll notice the internet start lagging and it can't load anything, and then it'll show the phone has switched to use its internet signal instead of WiFi.

When I look at WiFi at that point it shows "connected without internet."

If I disable WiFi on the device and re-enable it, then it connects fine and it's solid again until I start moving around again.

Any information on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

jzchen
Level 14
Is this new/newly setup, or working and then new problem? Sounds like it was setup as router and Access Point (AP), but not AiMesh.

First try to verify firmware is the latest. I checked and there is a new firmware dated 2022/05/03 May 3, 2022. Both units should have firmware 3.0.0.4.386.48706.

If you still has an issue verify AiMesh is setup properly. See this page for help in setting up AiMesh:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1045754

angelleye
Level 7
Sorry, I meant to provide those details and forgot.

It is currently setup as AiMesh and all firmware updates have been applied, so it's currently running 3.0.0.4.386_48706-g5f8f479 on both.

Here's a look at the AiMesh details.

Here it shows that both are running latest version version, and the AiMesh node has "Great" connection to primary.

Again, all the devices that are pretty much stationary (ie. desktops, Tvs) do not seem to have this problem. Devices that are moving around (ie. Phones, Tablets, Meta Quest Headset) are disconnting at times.

I noticed with my mesh that devices can hold connection with far away nodes vs transfer to the nearest node. The signal threshold is maybe set too low. There is a place in the settings to adjust this but I never dare tinker with it just set it to default and left it there.

I guess there are two ways to try to adjust this:

1. Try to bring a device to the midpoint between the router (node 1) and node (node 2). Try to check the signal strength there. Then set the disconnect rule to slightly weaker so it will jump nodes sooner.

2. You can increase the disconnect signal strength little by little until the dropping stops.

This is just my hunch maybe a call to tech support may help better. I'm quite new to AiMesh to be completely honest.

jzchen wrote:
I noticed with my mesh that devices can hold connection with far away nodes vs transfer to the nearest node. The signal threshold is maybe set too low. There is a place in the settings to adjust this but I never dare tinker with it just set it to default and left it there.

I guess there are two ways to try to adjust this:

1. Try to bring a device to the midpoint between the router (node 1) and node (node 2). Try to check the signal strength there. Then set the disconnect rule to slightly weaker so it will jump nodes sooner.

2. You can increase the disconnect signal strength little by little until the dropping stops.

This is just my hunch maybe a call to tech support may help better. I'm quite new to AiMesh to be completely honest.

I'm not seeing these options anywhere in the router AiMesh settings. Can you please elaborate on where I might find them?

When you log in to your router at router.asus.com or 192.168.50.1

On the left under Advanced select Wireless

On the right there are many tabs default is General, select Professional

List below should have Roaming assistant should be Enable then you can change the dBm. I do believe a higher (less negative #) means stronger signal. -70 dBm is default so you can revert back if you don't like the results:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036730/

Found this primer on signal strength:

https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/wifi-signal-strength-basics/

jzchen wrote:
When you log in to your router at router.asus.com or 192.168.50.1

On the left under Advanced select Wireless

On the right there are many tabs default is General, select Professional

List below should have Roaming assistant should be Enable then you can change the dBm. I do believe a higher (less negative #) means stronger signal. -70 dBm is default so you can revert back if you don't like the results:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036730/

Found this primer on signal strength:

https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/wifi-signal-strength-basics/

Thanks for the info, but this doesn't seem to be helping. This seems to be giving me options for how far away from an access point I can be before it switches, but it's the actual switching that seems to be failing for me.

I have the main router in a room on the NW corner of the house. I have the other access point in the room on the SE corner of the house.

If I'm near one of them and connected it will work great as long as I stay in that area. As soon as I get close enough to the other one, though, that it has to start making a decision, it just drops.

When that happens (I can tell quickly because everything lags) I just disable my WiFi on my phone and turn it back on. It connects to whatever I'm closest to at that point, and it works great again until I get close to the other again. Then I have to repeat the cycle.

Darn. those things didn't help.

It seems like maybe it's happening when I'm right near the middle and both have similar signal strengths. Just grasping at straws, really. All I know is I can't move around on these phones without constantly disconnecting and reconnecting my WiFi.

Any other ideas on this would be great. Thanks!

angelleye
Level 7
I installed a WiFi Analyzer app and it warned me about the option under Android Settings -> Developer Options -> WiFi Throttling and I disabled that. I have disabled that now and hoping maybe it'll help.

I'll try this awhile and post the results.

Sorry I didn't see your post until you bumped the thread again!

dBm is not distance it is signal strength. It is affected by increased distance. So if you stay connected and move away at a certain point this signal is poor, which would explain why it lags/slows down. I noticed sometimes devices stay connected to the further node/router even though I am very near to a different one.

So I suspect yours is switching late hence the slowdown before it switches to the nearer node....