cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING - PC restarting itself automatically on boot

-Gaia-
Level 7
Hello everybody 🙂 I'm new here and I hope you can help me

4 years ago I built my PC, it’s not overclocked and I use it mainly for 3D, graphic and video works and a bit for gaming. Here the specs:

PSU: Seasonic PRIME Platinum 750W
MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING (BIOS v1802)
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3,6 GHz - cooling Corsair Hydro H115i PRO
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2666 MHz ‎1,2 Volt - 16GB x4
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Extreme Edition
Drives: Samsung 980 PRO PCIe NVMe M.2 500GB - for boot drive, Samsung 860 EVO SSD SATA III 250 GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD SATA III 250 GB, Seagate Barracuda Pro SATA III 6TB

Some days ago it stopped working: when I turn it on, it restarts 3 times and then doesn’t boot the OS. After the 3 restarts it shows this screen
BIOS now has default settings, so it doesn't see the M2 system boot disk. When I enable CSM it starts Windows, but then if I turn it off it loses this setting again.

I didn’t change anything before this issue, didn't even update Windows or drivers last time I used it.

I first thought it could be a RAM issue because it is restarting when the RAM LED on MoBo is on, but I tried to use each RAM module alone and the PC restarted every time exactly in the same way. Here a video:

I also launched Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool, result is “no error”.

Now I am afraid it may be a MoBo issue, how can I check it? :confused:
What do you advise me to do? Let me know if more details are needed
2 REPLIES 2

Nate152
Hi Gaia

Welcome to the ROG forum.

After enabling CSM, did you press the F10 key to save the setting?

When you installed windows, did you do a UEFI install?

The bios screen is usually a sign of instability, since you're not overclocking, I suspect unstable ram even though it passed windows diagnostics.

Is your ram a single 64GB kit or are you combining sticks?

All good at default settings?

When you set your ram try raising:

1) Dram voltage - 1.35v
2) CPU VCCIO voltage - 1.25v
3) CPU System Agent voltage - 1.25v

F10 and Enter to save and exit.

How does it go?

Hi Nate, thank you for answering

Nate152 wrote:
After enabling CSM, did you press the F10 key to save the setting?

Yes, I saved. I checked it again: it doesn't restart and it keeps the CSM enabled if I reboot or turn off the system, but it restarts and loses the setting when I unplug the power. I checked the PSU's voltages, everything is fine.

Nate152 wrote:
When you installed windows, did you do a UEFI install?

I don't remember that, it's been too long. Anyway I checked the System Information App and it says it's in Legacy mode. Is it a problem?

Nate152 wrote:
Is your ram a single 64GB kit or are you combining sticks?

I have 4 sticks, 16GB each. They are from 2 different sets of the same product, and I paid attention to put them paired in the correct slots.

Nate152 wrote:
All good at default settings?

I think yes, settings look ok with hardware specs.
I'm sorry but there are a lot of things that I don't know about in the BIOS. I always used it in default mode, except for enabling CSM and turning off aura leds.