cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 drive bending when heatsink screwed down.

Synomenon
Level 7
Z690-i

When I screw down the m.2 heatsink my 980 Pro. starts to bend...
14 REPLIES 14

BigJohnny
Level 13
Try thinner thermal pad.

BigJohnny wrote:
Try thinner thermal pad.

I have only what came with the motherboard which is what is pre-applied to the heatsink.

I'll probably just swap it out with the 980 Pro. I have that came with a heatsink pre-installed directly from Samsung.

ahfoo
Level 13
It look likely also due to mounting issue. The Riser too slightly higher in my opinion.

Did you install the M.2 rubber?
980 pro is single sided, so you should install the extra m.2 rubber above the already existing one, to increase the height.

I have a B550-F and I'm using a WD SN850 M.2 drive which is also single sided, so I installed the extra M.2 rubber above the already existing one to support the M.2.

mcury wrote:
Did you install the M.2 rubber?
980 pro is single sided, so you should install the extra m.2 rubber above the already existing one, to increase the height.

I have a B550-F and I'm using a WD SN850 M.2 drive which is also single sided, so I installed the extra M.2 rubber above the already existing one to support the M.2.

I don't recall seeing a "m.2 rubber" in the box. Do you have a picture of this? it seems like adding another layer above or below the drive might cause more bending.

Synomenon wrote:
I don't recall seeing a "m.2 rubber" in the box. Do you have a picture of this? it seems like adding another layer above or below the drive might cause more bending.

I installed both of them, so to give you a picture I would have to turn off my computer and remove the M.2 slots, but they come inside a little bag inside the mobo box.

Check your manual for the Package contents, this is from my manual (B550-F)

Also from my manual:

mcury wrote:
I installed both of them, so to give you a picture I would have to turn off my computer and remove the M.2 slots, but they come inside a little bag inside the mobo box.

Check your manual for the Package contents, this is from my manual (B550-F)

Also from my manual:

My friend. The user using Samsung 980 PRO.

ahfoo
Level 13
Synomenon wrote:
Z690-i

When I screw down the m.2 heatsink my 980 Pro. starts to bend...

Mate, your mounting riser are rather higher. If I am not wrong Asus Z690 board came with NVME mounting lock?

Synomenon
Level 7
Everything is stock and as it came out of the box. I didn't install any additional rubber pads or thermal pads. There is no screw to secure the M.2 drive. There's a gray, plastic lock that rotates in place to secure the drive. The risers under the M.2 drive? Those are what were pre-installed, out of the box.