cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix Advantage Edition G513QY Fan on high at idle

H_ANZA_LONE
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I am currently facing an issue with the fan speed on my laptop. I upgraded to windows 11 before and had the same issue. I since downgraded, but its been about 4 months since I have downgraded. I was hoping that by now the issue would've been fixed, but it has not been. AT IDLE, my temps are at 80 degrees. IN BIOS, my temps are about 80-85. My bios version is 318, and I have a ryzen 9 5900HX. I am out of options, I am about to downgrade back to windows 10. This is absolute BS. This laptop has always ran hot. But this is insane. IDLE temps should not be that hot. Has anyone else experienced this? Or found a fix?
11 REPLIES 11

world
Hey H_ANZA_LONE,

Sorry to hear you're running into issues!

I have a few questions for you just to confirm:
Is this issue happening in Windows 11, Windows 10, and in the BIOS?
Have you done any overclocking or voltage adjustments?
Does the issue persist if you reset the BIOS?
You mentioned the fan is running on high-- is there significant airflow when the fans are on high or does it feel pretty restricted? Is the air coming out hot or is it cool?

world wrote:
Hey H_ANZA_LONE,

Sorry to hear you're running into issues!

I have a few questions for you just to confirm:
Is this issue happening in Windows 11, Windows 10, and in the BIOS?
Have you done any overclocking or voltage adjustments?
Does the issue persist if you reset the BIOS?
You mentioned the fan is running on high-- is there significant airflow when the fans are on high or does it feel pretty restricted? Is the air coming out hot or is it cool?

I am on win 10 because I just roled back today. Temps are normal. No issues whatsoever. When I upgrade to Win 11, my idle temps are too high and fans get kicking. I open my laptop once a month to clean the fans out and any dust out. Infact I did it after i Installed win 11 and it still didnt help. I reset bios already. In bios temps are still high when on win 11. but on win 10 temps are normal. I actually turned off oc adjustments from the radeon app. and no change. I am lost. Id like to use win 11, but if the fans are going to ra** my ears, then I'll stay on win 10.

H_ANZA_LONE wrote:
I am on win 10 because I just roled back today. Temps are normal. No issues whatsoever. When I upgrade to Win 11, my idle temps are too high and fans get kicking. I open my laptop once a month to clean the fans out and any dust out. Infact I did it after i Installed win 11 and it still didnt help. I reset bios already. In bios temps are still high when on win 11. but on win 10 temps are normal. I actually turned off oc adjustments from the radeon app. and no change. I am lost. Id like to use win 11, but if the fans are going to ra** my ears, then I'll stay on win 10.

Have you checked the system is actually idle? If you run Task Manager and view the processor usage, then a truly idle computer will show around 1 or 2% CPU usage with sometimes 0% usage for a seconds at time. Windows has a habit of doing things in the background when the computer isn't being used or other apps decide to take over or are stuck doing something and CPU usage never falls to an ideal enough state to allow it to ramp down and cool off.

world
Thanks for the info!

The installed OS should have no effect on the BIOS itself, so it's really strange that the BIOS is reporting different temperatures depending on what OS you have installed.

Just curious, what is BIOS reporting now for idle temp now that you're on Win10?

world wrote:
Thanks for the info!

The installed OS should have no effect on the BIOS itself, so it's really strange that the BIOS is reporting different temperatures depending on what OS you have installed.

Just curious, what is BIOS reporting now for idle temp now that you're on Win10?

Now in BIOS on WIN10, I am seeing about 60 degrees C. Which is still hot, I believe that I need to reapply the liquid thermal paste under my cooler. ASUS did a horrid job of this. And currently typing this, I have excel, google, wrike for windows, teams for windows, and file explorer open. As well as armoury crate. And I am sitting at 87 degrees C. If I were on WIN11, I would be seeing about 96 degrees and most likely throttling. Did I also mention that when I game now, if my graphics are on high for too long, my whole laptop will shut down and turn off. Very upsetting for a laptop that I cannot return to bestbuy anymore, and a laptop that I depend on. I use this thing for work and school atm.

Cheers.

Asus changed something in their BIOS on one update and since then everyone is facing the same issues.

So far neither on reddit or on my thread someone with the will to help did answer.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?128388-ROG-STRIG-G15-Advantage-Edition-Fan-Noise

From the research that I can do it is an issue with the power delivery to the processor.
There is simply to much power for the processor to boosting while bein indle and plugged into the charger.

Unplug the charger and you will see with the same power settings than you will have alomost no noise at all.

For me it seems that ASUS does not care about this Laptop anymore.

Shauntre wrote:
Cheers.

Asus changed something in their BIOS on one update and since then everyone is facing the same issues.

So far neither on reddit or on my thread someone with the will to help did answer.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?128388-ROG-STRIG-G15-Advantage-Edition-Fan-Noise

From the research that I can do it is an issue with the power delivery to the processor.
There is simply to much power for the processor to boosting while bein indle and plugged into the charger.

Unplug the charger and you will see with the same power settings than you will have alomost no noise at all.

For me it seems that ASUS does not care about this Laptop anymore.

I have found a fix. Go into AMD Adrenaline settings and disable AMD CPU overclock. This helps a little. Next step is to order conductonaut and reapply a NORMAL amount of liquid metal. LMAO they applied that stuff extremely lightly. Not cooling my CPU at all! So, if you really want to fix it, reapply thermal paste, and change AMD settings. HOWEVER, I have not upgraded to win11 yet, therefore I haven't tried it there. THIS IS A FIX FOR WIN10. I am now getting 54 degrees at idle on cpu in WIN10. I however agree that Asus has stopped caring about this laptop. I am debating on selling and getting a newer one. LOL!

Cheers!!

yo tengo el mismo problema me dijeron que el disipador termico estaba estropeado lo cambiaron supuestamente pero el ordenador sigue igual asi q estoy apunto de denunciarlos..te dejo el enlace a los videos de evidencias q les envie a soporte y parece q les da igual
Bueno es el colmo a la semana de comprar el portátil con la primera actualización empezó a dar fallos con el ventilador que se dispara de forma brutal lo llevo a que lo reparen en media Mark y lo llevan al fabricante para repararlo resultado, disipador térmico estropeado ,solución cambiar por otro, parece que solo han bajado el modo del ventilador , y si esta sin conectar ala corriente eléctrica baja un poco cosa que no deberÃ*a pasar pero en fin adjunto videos por si os sirve de algo:https://studio.youtube.com/video/kY_l-yRJf2c/edit ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDJi2bRQ-zc, asi q ojito con recomendarlo. Alguno ha tenido el mismo fallo ,como lo solucionaron.

H_ANZA_LONE wrote:
I have found a fix. Go into AMD Adrenaline settings and disable AMD CPU overclock. This helps a little. Next step is to order conductonaut and reapply a NORMAL amount of liquid metal. LMAO they applied that stuff extremely lightly. Not cooling my CPU at all! So, if you really want to fix it, reapply thermal paste, and change AMD settings. HOWEVER, I have not upgraded to win11 yet, therefore I haven't tried it there. THIS IS A FIX FOR WIN10. I am now getting 54 degrees at idle on cpu in WIN10. I however agree that Asus has stopped caring about this laptop. I am debating on selling and getting a newer one. LOL!

Cheers!!

Cheers. I already ordered new LM and will also reapply the viskose thermal paste.
I see differences as high as 10C° between my CPU cores.
Something here is off for sure.

What is thef ix that you mentioned in regards for the fix i WIN10?