In April I upgraded my motherboard, cpu, ram and psu. Specs are:

ASUS Z690-A PRIME
Intel i9-12900K
Kingston DDR5 KF556C40BB-16 x2
NZXT C850 850W
Seagate IronWolf 2TB x2 (raid)
Windows 11 Pro

I got two issues so far (one critical):

1. Keyboard keeps getting disconnected (its backlight starts to blink - Logitech MX Keys) when connected to USB 3.2 Gen1. Using USB 3.2 Gen2 fixes this for good; with old setup everything was fine.

2. Whole PC freezes without response. I can only shut it down or reset.

I've tried everything except swapping CPU since I have only one. I tried different ram, ssd, psu, disconnected everthing which is not needed.

I've sent mb to RMA, unfortunately they said everything is OK. Maybe it is CPU fault?
9 REPLIES 9

trihy
Level 9
Welcome to the club. Start by disabling c-states on bios.

@trihy speaks truth. I managed to fix my freezing problems by turning off c-states.

Iregart
Level 7
Hello owsianka,

I am using the ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WIFI with Kingston Beast 5200 RAM.

I had a similar freeze problem after updating to BIOS 1403. The computer frozes completely after at least one hour. Only if I was in a game, I could play for hours, but after leaving the game it frozes instantly. One time after a restart MEMTEST gave me hundreds of errors and then the computer restarted. Additionally I had the effect, that after a freeze and reset, the PC won't switch off after a shutdown.

With the old BIOS 1304 I did not have that kind of freezes and errors.

I found out, that the XMP II stability has decreased with the BIOS 1403. When I set my RAM from XMP II 5200 to XMP II 4800 the freezes were gone, as were the memory errors.

Hope my story can give you a hint, where to look.

Best regards,
Iregart

So I turned off c-states and everything went fine for a while until today - again freeze with WHEA logger 1...

However something new emerged, which didn't happend before - PC went extremly laggy and speakers made wrrrrr noises before freeze...

Don't know if this is mb fault or CPU...

trihy
Level 9
Freeze without whea are cpu related. C states off probably solved that.

Whea bsod are probably ram related. Play with ram clocks, timings. Vccsa voltage, etc

Bios starting with 14xx seems to have more ram problems.

Turned off RC6 Render Standby and it seems that freezes are gone, I hope. Maybe this will help others too.

owsianka wrote:
Turned off RC6 Render Standby and it seems that freezes are gone, I hope. Maybe this will help others too.

Sorry, I am a bit confuse here. RC6 Render Standby supposed to optimize the average power of the graphics engine while the rendering engine work idle. What it has to do with USB disconnect issue?

So I've just had another freeze. Nothing works. Thanks ASUS for help!

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Sounds like overclocking instability, this can have an impact on USB controllers if a preferred voltage isn't used as it's responsible for I/O domains.

Have you yet to confirm whether the freezing occurs with XMP disabled at optimised defaults?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090