cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does my ROG STRIX Z690-A have a leaky capacitor?

tappiah
Level 9
I had to get a replacement ROG STRIX Z690-A because my previous one completley died. No power when plugged in or anything. There were literally 0 signs of life. Before it died I would freeze during POST about 70% of the time and get tons of BSODs in windows. I'd have flip the PSU switch off and then on again to get past the freeze. The only "damage" I could locate on the board was this substance that apparently leaked under one of the capacitors near the CPU socket. Did the capacitor leak? They appear to be solid state capacitors so leaking shouldn't even be possible, right? I'm asking because when I was installing a new heatsink today, I noticed a similar oily substance under the exact same capacitor of my new board.
93136 (this is the old, dead board)

Also...unrelated but is there a way to change my username?
3 REPLIES 3

DragDay7
Level 9
Solid capacitors do leak - retro hardware fans knows about it. They're replacing them every 10~20 years. Tantalum caps don't leak - they explode if something happens xD If capacitor leaks then there's corrosion eating everything around, sometime it bends a little.

Whatever it is - it's not normal and service should take a closer look.

DragDay7 wrote:
Solid capacitors do leak - retro hardware fans knows about it. They're replacing them every 10~20 years. Tantalum caps don't leak - they explode if something happens xD If capacitor leaks then there's corrosion eating everything around, sometime it bends a little.

Whatever it is - it's not normal and service should take a closer look.

I plan on sending it in, but isn't it odd that the same substance appears to be forming under the same capacitor on another board? Could there be a component causing that? I don't have any liquid cooling so I don't know where that would even come from.

tappiah@alumni wrote:
I plan on sending it in, but isn't it odd that the same substance appears to be forming under the same capacitor on another board? Could there be a component causing that? I don't have any liquid cooling so I don't know where that would even come from.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/rk7yeh/leaking_caps_on_z690_rog_maximus_hero/

It looks like someone else had a similar problem. Same capacitor location on a different board.