cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About AMD Smartshift and G713QY

Pjgg78
Level 7
Hello

I have an Asus Rog Strix G713QY-K4005T, and I'm experiencing reboots during gaming, under 5 minutes after I launch a game the laptop's display goes black and it reboots. This only happens when it's plugged in, when it's running on battery the gaming sessions go smooth and without issues for as long as the battery lasts. The only way I can play a game without issues while plugged in is by going to Device Manager and disabling the RX6800M to force the laptop to use only the integrated GPU.

Through AMD Software Software Adrenalin Edition's overlay readings, I noticed that when gaming on battery Smart**** Max percentage usually varies between 70% and 100%, and the CPU/GPU bar has a red part towards the GPU side as soon as the game starts. When the laptop is plugged in Smartshift Max percentage is always 0% and the CPU/GPU bar is always gray not showing any red parts during the couple of minutes the game runs until the laptop reboots, it's like Smartshift is not working/disabled when the laptop is plugged in.

So is this working as intended? Or could this be the cause for the game crashes when the laptop is plugged in?
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
Have you checked temps? The laptop is going to draw more power and run hotter when plugged in so it could just be a heat related problem.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Have you checked temps? The laptop is going to draw more power and run hotter when plugged in so it could just be a heat related problem.

Yes, CPU temps peak at 93°C, RX6800M current temps peak at 80°C and junction peaks at 100°C, they never go higher than this when plugged in.

xeromist
I suppose it could be a defective power brick. Not able to deliver peak power. Or it could be the machine. Either way you'll likely have to send it for RMA.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I suppose it could be a defective power brick. Not able to deliver peak power. Or it could be the machine. Either way you'll likely have to send it for RMA.

I already did, they say there's nothing wrong with it because they ran stress tests on it at 100% load of CPU and both GPU's and it worked without problems. Even with a video showing the laptop rebooting several times every time I launch a game they say there's nothing wrong with it hardware-wise.

The only thing I see that might not be right is Smartshift MAX working when running on battery and not working at all when plugged in on AC power and it's only on AC power that the gaming reboots happen, gaming on battery goes smooth and stable without issues. It's hard for me to believe it's just a coincidence but if that's the way Smartshift is supposed to work It's got to be something else.

xeromist
That's strange they wouldn't have any issues. Have you experienced this issue anywhere else with different household wiring? Just in case you might want to try a different outlet if you have not.

Another thing I would try is to see if GPU Tweak or MSI Afterburner will allow you to lower the power limit of the 6800m. I haven't tried it myself but if that's an option and you are having power issues that could help you diagnose.

xeromist wrote:
That's strange they wouldn't have any issues. Have you experienced this issue anywhere else with different household wiring? Just in case you might want to try a different outlet if you have not.

Another thing I would try is to see if GPU Tweak or MSI Afterburner will allow you to lower the power limit of the 6800m. I haven't tried it myself but if that's an option and you are having power issues that could help you diagnose.

ASUS ROG support says it's probably a faulty 6800M GPU that fails when more power is demanded from it, and it doesn't happen on battery because on it delivers less power. But if the GPU demands more power and Smarthshift doesn't deliver it the same thing will happen, a system reboot.

I'll try it in GPU Tweak and yes, I tried different outlets.