cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Z490-G - nvidia Founders 30xx hitting dimm slots?

cmosfxx
Level 7
Owners of any of these FE cards (3070/TI, 3080/TI, 3090/TI) and Z490-G motherboard, does the card shroud hitting the dimm slots or not?

Picture of what I'm talking about:
https://imgur.com/a/6FNfgrD
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi cmosfxx

Welcome to the ROG forum.

At 6:05 of the video, it looks like they have a 3080 FE installed.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi cmosfxx

Welcome to the ROG forum.

At 6:05 of the video, it looks like they have an FE gpu installed.

Thanks! He cuts the video right on the point though. I'll try to contact him.

Ok I've figured it out.

ASUS uses two versions of those retention clips on the ram slots.

There are two versions of the Z490-G. I'm not sure when ASUS replaced those clips. (see picture below)

But I've found that this is not the only motherboard ASUS did that. Z490-A for example, has three versions. One with "type 1" clips, one with "type 2" clips and one more with both of those types on each ram channel (see picture below)

Both types have the same dimensions but as you can see on the picture below "type 2" is much thicker on the side where the tab (or however this is part is called)

Nate152
I would think any gpu would fit just fine with either type of clip even with a backplate.

You may run into issues if you were trying to use something like the EK Vector FE water block with the active backplate.

Nate152 wrote:
I would think any gpu would fit just fine with either type of clip even with a backplate.

You may run into issues if you were trying to use something like the EK Vector FE water block with the active backplate.

My 3070 Ti FE is hitting those clips. I can force it pass them but still, it's a tight fit. Other people told me their 3080 Ti / 3090 have clearance about ~1mm between the card and those clips which it really confused me at first because nvidia told me all those FE cards have the same "backplate" size.

Now, if you look at the image below from my motherboard, it makes sense. If my z490-g had those "type 1" clips there should be enough clearance which now there's not.

Also one more thing. This issue is only present on the z490-g as far as I can tell from the ram slot distance to the pci-e. No other motherboard has so small distance. Not even itx form factor motherboards.

Nate152
It's certainly a tight fit.

Once you get it past the clips and fully seated, does it fit better with little to no pressure on the ram clips? It looks like it should unless it's already fully seated.

If you're uncomfortable with any pressure on the ram clips, you could trim them off straight with a dremel tool.

Nate152 wrote:
It's certainly a tight fit.

Once you get it past the clips and fully seated, does it fit better with little to no pressure on the ram clips? It looks like it should unless it's already fully seated.

If you're uncomfortable with any pressure on the ram clips, you could trim them off straight with a dremel tool.

It's fully seated and locked on the picture unfortunately.

I could trim them just a bit yes.

If only I knew how to remove them from the slots so I could make a clean cut. I know that they are removable but I can't seem to find out how they can be removed.

Nate152
It's hard to tell how the clips are attached, in the video below, the clips look fairly easy to remove.

These look like a different type of clip.