cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME USB ports problem

zeon801305
Level 7
Owners ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME please tell me you have the same problem?

BIOS Version 1403
I try installed Firmware PD FW update tool (Version 004 and 005 too)
i set Onboard Devices Configurations -> USB Power delivery in Soft off state -> [Enabled]
ErP Ready -> [Disabled]
Optional 6-pin power connector on motherboard (next to 24-pin connector) - connected
Windows 11 Pro

but when my PC off:
all USB-A ports not charging
3 USB-C ports - they charge, but for some reason the central port USB-C is buggy and shows that the charge is disconnected every second

when my PC on:
USB-A ports start to charge, but apparently it is very weak... It takes about ~40-50 minutes for the charge on my iPhone 12 Pro Max to rise by +4%. And my iPad Pro 12.9" when PC on - when i set via USB-A cabble indicated "no charge". At the same time, Windows 11 Pro sees IPhone \ iPad (i can open photos via cabble on my PC) and various USB flash drives - work.

Is my motherboard defective? Or this a software issue?
46 REPLIES 46

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi zeon801305,
Do you want to disable or disable standby power of the USB connected device when the pc is off?
Do you mean only get the issue with your iPhone and iPad connecting to USB-A ports when the pc is on?
If you connect the iPhone and iPad to USB-C ports, charging and file transferring are working fine?
Do the USB flash drives work well in USB-A ports when the pc is on?
Do the issues also occur with bios all default settings?
Thank you.

Sorry for my English, i hope you understand me.

I want to make it so that when I shut down Windows (when I turn off my PC) - all my USB-A and USB-C ports can charge my gadgets (Logitech G Pro Superlight mouse, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPad Pro 12.9" etc). And, so that it gives out at least 27+W declared by the standard. I want charge my gadgets without problem when PC on and off.

Right now:

When my PC off - all my USB-A ports (which are located both on the motherboard and on the front case of the PC) do not supply any charge. I am using original 100% working cable "USB-A > Lightning" from Apple. I can't charge anything in this state. But three USB-C ports (which are on the motherboard) when my PC off (in this case i use original 100% working "USB-C > Lightning" from Apple) - supply a charge. My iPhone shows that it is receiving a charge, but in 10-15 minutes of time my phone did not even get + 1% charge. That is, if there is a charge, it is very-very slow.

Also I noticed that when my PC is turned off: two ports USB-C (upper and lower) give a stable, continuous charge (but charging is very slow). But the central USB-C port, when I plug my iPhone or iPad into it, every second it shows on the gadgets screen that there is a charge, then that there is no charge.

When my PC on - all my USB-A and USB-C ports charge and work correctly. When the PC is turned on - i tried to connect my iPhone, iPad and via USB-A and via USB-C ports - all fine, PC sees this gadgeds. I can open folder with photos on my iPhone\iPad. Also, i can use my USB-A Flash drive, and my mouse (Logitech G pro superlight). And my central USB-C port (which constantly falls off when the PC is turned off) no longer buggy and shows a stable charge.

But anyway, even when the PC is turned on - All my USB ports i have a feeling that charging is very, very slow. My motherboard specs say 60W fast charging (if the 6-pin power connector is connected). But even if it was not connected, according to the standard, it is stated that the motherboard should produce 27W. But I have a separate 20W Apple power adapter and it charges many times faster than what I get from USB ports on my motherboard when the PC is on.

I'm not really interested in 60W, but I would like to see the standard 27 watts so that I can charge my gadgets and not experience problems.

P.S. My BIOS settings added to this post.

And one more problem with my ASUS Z690 EXTREME motherboard: when starting the PC, the mini OLED screen (which is located on the M.2_1 radiator) seems to work fine at first, but after a while it constantly starts to give out glitches (in the form of stripes and half numbers). This is a constant problem with him. But this worries me less than the incomprehensible situation with USB ports.

Nate152
Hi zeon801305

To charge devices from the usb ports while the pc is off, enable ErP Ready S4+S5.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi zeon801305

To charge devices from the usb ports while the pc is off, enable ErP Ready S4+S5.

Are you sure? As far as I understand, this setting, on the contrary, will not allow the ports to supply current when the PC is in S4 and S5 mode (that is when PC off).

I found a description of this function on the Internet (see screenshot):

Nate152
I'm sorry you are correct.

I have ErP Ready S4+S5 enabled to turn off the RGB on my peripherals when the pc is off.

Setting ErP Ready to disabled should allow charging of devices when your pc is off.

I came across an article with a suggestion that may help.

Nate152 wrote:

I came across an article with a suggestion that may help.

Ok, thanks, i will try it a bit later.

But anyway, i don't understand, why when my PC "ON" - USB ports are charging very-very slowly. My iPhone 12 Pro Max got +4% charge per ~45 min - this is a very bad result. My iPad Pro 12,9" says on screen "no charge" when i put USB-A cabble when PC on.

And why when PC "OFF" - my USB-A ports not charge, but USB-C - charge, but slowly... and the average USB-C port, when the PC is turned off, cuts off the charge every second... it's not normal

On Tech Specs for my motherboard says (see attached screenshot below):

Front Panel USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 with Quick Charge 4+ Support

- Support: up to 60W charging*
- Output: 5/9/15/20V max. 3A, PPS:3.3–21V max. 3A
- Compatible with QC 4.0/3.0/2.0, PD3.0 and PPS

* To support 60W, please install the power cable to 6-pin PCIe Graphics Card connector or can only support 27W

I even tried doing the following: I tried to turn off the PC > after that I completely de-energized the PSU and unplugged the cord from the outlet > waited about 5 minutes > plugged the power cord into the outlet and turned on the PSU (but PC i not launch on this moment). And after this steps - anyway, all my USB-A ports not charging my gadgeds.

I assume that there are 2 options: either Asus released a crooked firmware for USB ports for my motherboard (but i tried install and USB PD controller FW update 004 version, and 005 - i open exe file via Administrator role in my OC Windows 11 Pro - it's not helped me), or my motherboard is defictive. But since the ports work when the PC is turned on, I think it's a software problem.

ASUS check pls your USB Firmware for Windows 11 Pro for "ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME" or Check programm code BIOS 1403 for this motherboard. I want charge my gadgeds via USB ports when PC ON and OFF...

Nate152
The 6-pin pcie graphics connector is to supply additional wattage to the pcie x16 slots, I'm not sure if this helps with usb charging, you could connect it to see if charging is faster.

Nate152 wrote:
The 6-pin pcie graphics connector is to supply additional wattage to the pcie x16 slots, I'm not sure if this helps with usb charging, you could connect it to see if charging is faster.

I already wrote in the first post, that additional the 6-pin connector - connected

photo what i mean: