Keyboard ROG Falchion NX / Strix Flare II
    Mouse ROG Chakram X/Chakram Core/Spatha X
    Headset ROG Delta S Animate
    Mouse Pad Steelseries Prism XL + ROG Scabbard II
    OS Windows 11 Home
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Thank you,

Looking at it a little closer, it says the 6-pin pcie power connector is for the front panel usb 3.2 headers, which would be your case usb ports.

In the motherboard manual I see there are usb 2.0 and usb 3.2 headers. I'm sure you're using a newer case that supports usb 3.0 or higher.

Do the case usb ports charge any faster?

I imagine the wattage from the 6-pin pcie power connector is shared with the pcie x16 slots and usb 3.2 headers.

New ROGer Array

Sorry for my bad english, i use google translate. I hope you understand me below.

I carefully studied the description and specifications of the ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME, and found the following:

The instructions say this: (look added three screenshots on this post)

Judging by the description, as I understand it, this 60W quick charge is only supported if connect a special cable (which comes from the front panel of the case) to a special USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C (Front Connector) connector on the motherboard. I'm using the "Cooler Master C500P Mesh" case and only regular USB-A connectors are available on the front of the case. USB-C is not there. Therefore, despite the fact that I connected the additional power supply (from the PSU) 6-pin to the connector that is located next to the 24-pin on the motherboard, apparently I still can't achieve fast 60W charging (due to the lack of USB -C port on the front of the case). Tell me please, did I understand correctly that this quick charging does not apply to the three rear USB-C ports (which are located on the back panel)? That is, the "60W Quick Charge" function can ONLY be used by one USB-C port, which must be located on the front of the case? I would like to hear your opinion on this matter.

But anyway, there are other points that raise questions and problems:

Judging from the description of the rear ports my motherboard (see screenshot below on this post), it turns out the following:

Port number 9: This is a standart USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C port.
    Port number 11: This is a Thunderbolt 4 USB Type-C port that has increased speed rates and capabilities.
    Port number 12: this is a USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C port, which, unlike port number 9, also has an increased speed rate (20 Mb\s instead of 10)

That is, it turns out that all these three USB-C ports (despite the same appearance) have slightly different characteristics.

The other day I did a little test with my tablet (iPad Pro 12.9"). Perhaps this will also make it easier for you to understand the situation. I decided to measure how long the tablet will gain + 5% charge over time under the same conditions. The results are as follows:

* 1 test: USB-C 20W Apple original adapter (from wall socket) charged the tablet by 5% in ~10 minutes.

WHEN PC IS ON:

* 2 test: from Thunderbolt 4 USB-C (port number 11), the tablet was charged by 5% in ~ 15 minutes.
    * 3 test: from USB-C 3.2 Gen 2x2 (port number 12) the tablet was charged by 5% in ~ 17 minutes.
    * 4 test: from standart USB-A ports (I tried different ones), the charge did not go at all, but Windows recognized the tablet, it was possible to open files from it, but apparently, the charge from these ports was so weak that the word "no charge" was written on the tablet ". USB-A flash drives are also normally recognized.

WHEN PC HAS BEEN TURNED OFF:

* 5 test: from USB-C 3.2 Gen 2x2 (port number 12) the tablet was charged by 5% in ~ 30 minutes. That is, this already indicates that in the off state, less current is supplied to the port than when the PC is turned on.
    * 6 test: from Thunderbolt 4 USB-C, the tablet starts to show every 2-3 seconds that the charge falls off and reconnects. In place of the battery icon, the power is constantly connected / disconnected (and so constantly every 2-3 seconds). In this state, I did not test for how long the tablet will charge for obvious reasons. But it is worth noting that when the PC is turned on, such a "recconects" does not occur. This problem with the Thunderbolt port is ONLY when the PC is turned off.
    * 7 test: from standart USB-A ports (I tried all the ports again), they all do not charge at all, and the tablet and other gadgets (mouse \ keyboard) do not react at all and do not rgb light. The tablet also does not respond at all.

However, it is worth noting that in the state when the PC is turned off - the LED lights inside the 3.5" sound connectors (where the audio jacks are) are light up, the LAN ports and the Clear Cmos button are also light up. But all USB-A ports do not work and do not power supply \ not charge.

_______

And judging by all the above, I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to do something so that the ports of the "USB-C" format at least give approximate values ~ 20W? As I already said, this 60W fast charge is not so critical for me. But at least the basic values ​​​​that are declared on the board (if I'm not confusing anything, the specifications motherboard promises 27W standart Watts) I would like to have. So that you do not have to constantly charge everything from the outlet. I sometimes use my tablet as a "second monitor", and I need to be able to connect it via USB-C port from a PC so that it does not have time to lose charge and not be discharged.

2. I don't understand the strange behavior of the Thunderbolt 4 USB-C port (the one at number 11 from the motherboard description) when the PC is turned off. Why, when I connect any gadget through it, do I constantly reconnect the charge every 2-3 seconds? Let ASUS engineers check the firmware, maybe the problem is in the "bug" firmware. Because, according to the logic of things, if there was something wrong with it in hardware, it would fall off even when the PC was turned on. A "disconnect charge every 2-3 sec" is only when the PC is turned off.

3. Why, when the PC is turned off, absolutely all USB-A ports do not work and do not supply current? USB-C is served, but there is clearly a very weak charge. Although the BIOS settings are set to "USB Power delivery in Soft off state -> [Enabled]", and also "ErP Ready -> [Disabled]". For example, I use a Logitech G Pro Superlight mouse, it is wireless and connects only via USB-A. Previously (on another old PC), it was very convenient for me to turn off the PC, connect the charging cable to the mouse and go away. And at this time, she charged. Right now, I can't do it. The mouse can only be charged when the PC is turned on. This brings discomfort.

I really hope that after all these are software bugs, and not hardware ones.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Скриншот 27-05-2022 02.25.22.png  

Скриншот 27-05-2022 02.26.07.png  

Скриншот 27-05-2022 02.27.15.png  

Last edited by zeon801305; 05-28-2022 at 07:45 PM.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z - 3600MHz 16-16-16-36-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyPCP&C Turbo Cool 1200w
    OS Windows 11 Home

You understand it correctly.

You need a case that supports USB 3.2 Gen 2 and it looks like only the USB 3.2 Gen 2 header gets the extra wattage, I don't see it mentioned for the usb 3.2 Gen 1 headers.

Since you're having some abnormalities with charging and the oled display, does device manager all look good, no missing drivers?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	device.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	93264

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    You understand it correctly.

You need a case that supports USB 3.2 Gen 2 and it looks like only the USB 3.2 Gen 2 header gets the extra wattage, I don't see it mentioned for the usb 3.2 Gen 1 headers.

Since you're having some abnormalities with charging and the oled display, does device manager all look good, no missing drivers?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	device.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	93264
    i check - device manager look good, no missing drivers
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Скриншот 29-05-2022 00.21.58.png  

Nate152 PC Specs
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    OS Windows 11 Home

All looks good with Device Manager, I don't see any missing drivers.

You say you have usb power delivery in soft off state Enabled, soft off state would be sleep or hibernation. Does it charge any better in sleep mode?

Since you're turning your pc completely off, I'm wondering if there are any other bios usb settings for when the pc is off, instead of soft off.

New ROGer Array

Also, on this theme owners ASUS Z690 EXTREME complain about the same problem with OLED mini display on M.2_1: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...eme-OLED-issue

but besides that, I still have a problem with the USB ports, which I described in this thread.

P.S. I also had a problem with sound (when I used an external ROG CLAVIS with my Sennheiser earphones) but it was solved after I uninstalled three applications: Sonic Studio 3, Sonic Radar 3, DTS Sound unbound - apparently they conflicted with Windows 11 Pro or my hardware. Very often, the sound began to wheeze in various usage scenarios.

I think the problem is in the firmware, asus engineers needs to check firmware for this motherboard

Nate152 PC Specs
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    OS Windows 11 Home

It's cool ASUS offers Sonic Radar 3 but I don't use it. As for DTS Sound Unbound, I've tried it and while it works there is sound degradation, so I don't use it either.

I find the motherboard audio quite good and with Sonic Studio 3, I bet your sennheiser earbuds sound great.

You may have missed my post above, maybe sleep vs off will make a difference with charging.

New ROGer Array

I got tired of suffering and doing tests, and sent a request to Asus technical support in my country. I was given some recommendations and told what need to set in the BIOS settings - I did it, but it not solve the problem. Also, they gave a link to download the new ports firmware (PD FW update tool ver 005) - I downloaded and installed it - it also did not help. I clarified this point several times about BIOS settings or another Windows settings - I was told that there are no other settings responsible for powering the ports. After that, ASUS employees said that they would test a similar build on their test bench in their laboratory, and they would answer a little later.

One of the suggestions of technical support was that the problem was most likely a hardware malfunction of the motherboard.

But my guess is that the problem is most likely either in the firmware or in an unsuccessful BIOS version. I hope that I'm right, and I don't have to take the motherboard to the warranty service. For example - one of the owners of a similar board (in the topic that I threw off above) already reported that, he had a similar problem with a mini oled screen on an old z490 Asus motherboard. And she decided only after 6+ months, when Asus released a new firmware \ BIOS. (check screenshot on this post, i repost this message)

I will wait for their answer. I'm really tired of messing around with this problem.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Скриншот 29-05-2022 15.23.48.png  

Nate152 PC Specs
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    OS Windows 11 Home

All right.

This sounds good, let's wait for ASUS's testing.

Let's hope they can replicate the issues for a fix.

I'd be interested to know their test results.

Moderator Array

Hi zeon801305,
    My all USB-A ports (when PC state OFF) they don’t supply power.
    For this part, please uncheck "turn on fast startup" option in power system settings and then check if the issue still present.
    Attachment 93569
    Thank you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast