Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    New ROGer Array

Thanks all for the info. but I have run those checks using an app on my mobile.
    I do not have congestion of note at home. I stay in a free standing house with a fair amount of distance between myself and my neighbors. Whilst yes i can see a neighbors WiFi or two it is a distant signal. Quite low if you look back at the signal strength images from earlier posts.
    I have also had my old faithful TPLink router in the same spot as the AX11000 and no issues at all.
    Also before I got the Ax11000 I had a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 which also sat in the same spot on my desk. No issues except for coverage. Which is why i forked out for the AX11000.
    I am at a loss as to why 3 devices all exhibit some form of this weird WiFi issue.

Yes there are other possible causes for interference, A microwave downstairs in the kitchen, but not on often enough to cause this, only 2 adults in the house.
    No wireless door bells, heck I dont even have a wireless printer.

Out of ideas really.

New ROGer Array

As noted in your first post you set up your old router in conjunction with the ASUS:

DHCP on the TP-Link is OFF. How are all the 2.4 GHz devices getting assigned an IP address? As I understand it's modem - TP-Link - ASUS?

I have been reading up on the C20 did you have smart connect enabled on it?

802.11ax/WiFi6 have you tried enabling it?
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Untitled.jpg  

Last edited by jzchen; 06-11-2022 at 07:14 AM.

New ROGer Array

@jzchen,

The C20 is a pretty old unit, perhaps 5 plus years with a locked firmware.
    So no smart connect or anything fancy there.

I have turned off DHCP on the Tplink, DHCP is enabled on the AX11000. The 2.4Ghz devices connect to the Tplink and get an IP from the Asus.
    As for the WiFi 6 mode, yup, tried a number of times with various settings. No change worth noting unfortunately.

I finally go so sick of the issue, I have given the Asus Merlin 386.5_2 a go.
    I let it use the settings as the original firmware, no 2.4 devices at all are connecting ( there was a scent of 2 devices that connected for a second and then vanished). I then did a reset and reconfigured the router again from scratch.
    Unfortunately the same issue.

Attached is an image showing the wireless log which shows that the devices and duration of connection. It looks like the total connection time overall not current connection time.

In other news, the device is not overheating, the WiFi is running at 41 deg and the CPU is 62deg Celsius.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 01.png  

02.png  

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_2468 View Post
    Having a look at the connected devices, you can see the duration connected.
    The devices connect and drop off and come back.

Just to reiterate, if I use another router this drop off doesn't occur and I am able to pick any channel the devices stay on the entire time.
    I took a look at my log and many devices have a blank space for Access Time. BUT they are consistently on the list. It seems you are experiencing a weak signal, interference, or both.

Please see posts 10 and 18 for my current configuration.

A business FAQ from Netgear:

https://www.netgear.com/assets/campa...Fi-6-Final.pdf
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 2_4and_partial5list.jpg  

Last edited by jzchen; 06-16-2022 at 01:03 AM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Saltgrass PC Specs
    Saltgrass PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XIII Hero
    Processori9 11900K
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 3090 FTW
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorDell AW3420DW
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Pro 1 TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 212X
    CaseCooler Master
    Power SupplyAntec HCP Platinum 1000
    Keyboard ASUS Strix Flare
    Mouse ASUS Chakram
    Headset/Speakers Logitech wired 5.1
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AX11000/AXE11000
    Accessory #1 VR Headset
    Accessory #2 Saitek X52

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_2468 View Post
    @jzchen,

Attached is an image showing the wireless log which shows that the devices and duration of connection. It looks like the total connection time overall not current connection time.
    In your attachment, both of your 5 GHz radios are showing a device with a Rx rate of 6 Mbps. All of the devices show the same connection time. Do you have any idea why they are showing such a low rate with the strong signal? Have you tried moving them around to see if that changes?

The only one that shows normally is the N350, so what type of device is that?

New ROGer Array

Cool Just WOW!

Right, Boy oh Boy!!
    Finally some news!

But first an answer to the question previously. N350 is my work laptop. The other 2 devices showing on my 5Ghz are cellphones, I can only assume the slider scale of the rates increasing when in use and the low rates when on idle is for power saving features on the cellphones.

Now the revelation.
    I had installed Merlin, and was testing. I had the same issue.
    Had given up for the night and powered off my laptop and my monitors. Reached down to pick up my cell phone, which still had my Asus Router app open.
    I noticed that ALL my WiFi devices were back online ?????

Thought that was weird, cool but weird.
    So the laptop is interfering with the WiFi? So I powered on my screen. and refreshed the Asus app on my phone whilst I plugged the laptop back in.
    And the WiFi devices all fell away!
    So it wasn't the laptop, it is my Monitor!
    An incredulous revelation. I mean since when does a monitor put out any form of interference at least on a WiFi spectrum or similar?
    I have a Lenovo Legion Y27gq-20 27"
    https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/acces...ing/65ecgac1us

I powered my laptop on and my other screen ( I have a 27" Lenovo and a 24" Samsung in addition to the laptop screen) leaving the Lenovo off.
    WiFi worked as expected. I can even see my 2.4Ghz WiFi on the list of available networks - Previously you didn't even see that.

Turn the monitor on, the devices slowly all disappear from the connected list. After a while there are none left.
    if the router is power cycled with the monitor ON, you get nothing on 2.4Ghz.
    If the monitor is off when the router is power cycled the devices come on but is erratic to non functional when the monitor is powered on.

I ran this past some of my fellow developer friends at work and no one could believe that this was the cause.
    We were chatting about what could cause this, and does the router and monitor share the same power feed, same plug point etc.
    They do, all my office setup runs through a APC UPS and a large battery bank as the city power here is prone to load shedding.
    Then what else could be plugged in.

Well, I have a USB 3.0 hub plugged into one of the monitors USB 3.0 plug.
    This is the model I have https://www.unitek-products.com/prod...3-0-4-port-hub

If I unplug it, the issue goes away!
    The USB ports on the Lenovo are on the same side that the router is on, the hub is plugged into that and hangs down under the monitor.
    The Hub then sits next to the router antenna.

So thankfully its not the monitor -- well it could be.
    It could be that there is some form of interference with all the onboard wizardry for the GSync and related circuitry in the monitor Or perhaps a bad ground or similar.
    Then the cable and the hub act as a resonator??
    Or perhaps the Unitek Hub is just not so well made?
    I did plug the Hub into my laptop directly and didn't seem to cause and issue. But further testing is needed. The hub was 40 cm away from the router when I did a quick test.

I also think I need to leave it like this for a few more days for some more longer term tests. I realized this only about a day ago.
    Hot damn, never ever thought that this could be a cause for weird WiFi. But I don't think I will be using this hub anymore.

But apparently USB 3.0 has been an issue for 2.4Ghz
    Check these URLS
    https://www.pcmag.com/opinions/wirel...i-interference
    and
    https://medium.com/ghostbar/your-usb...s-a3c343dc4000

The take away sentence is:
    In a nutshell - the noise from USB 3.0 interferes with the 2.4 GHz signal. However, the wireless industry is proactive about the problem. Just about all of the router makers I spoke with that offer routers with USB 3.0 ports have those ports shielded to alleviate that interference
    So what a ride. 2.5 years of weirdness and irritation caused by a USB 3 hub.
    Just wow.

Thanks all for the help and time taken to respond.
    Appreciate it. I will test more and feedback later!
    Last edited by Andrew_2468; 06-17-2022 at 06:06 PM.

New ROGer Array

Looking for FCC IDs immediately comes to mind...

EDIT- (Hope you've wrapped the USB hub in layers of Al tin foil by now. I'd give it a few layers for good measure).
    Last edited by jzchen; 06-18-2022 at 11:25 AM.

New ROGer Array

Consider disabling 2.4G beam forming. See my post here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3