cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Zephyrus g15 3070 low fps in games absurd vs hp omen

GreyWind007
Level 8
This is the situation:
* I have the Asus G15 with 3070(80-100w) graphics and 5900HS processor.
*My friend has the HP Omen 15 with 3060(80w) graphics and 5800H processor.

We mostly play dota 2 at 1440p. He gets 110ish fps dips into the 100s when intense fights. I get 80fps dipping into 60s when intense fights.
EXACT same graphics configuration for the game. Drivers are all up to date with nvidia and AMD. Armory crate gives basically same fps ranges with either Performance or Turbo. Tinkered with processor power management and still same low and sad fps. I used dota example here but this is the same with other games also.
WHAT IS GOING ON??? I paid 1800 dollars for this laptop and he paid 1000 for his and beats me all around in games???. This is so depressing. I love the ASUS chassis but this laptop is giving me so many headaches already, plus my processor is always reaching like 90C in dota 2. srsly?. i don't know if this is bad pasting limiting my rig because of thermals but this is just absurd. i held ASUS in such high steem and this is just plain pathetic. If anyone has any lights on this issue help would be appreciated. Ty.

UPDATE #1 6/9

So i opened up the laptop and what i found was a really bad job of liquid metal application. Half the die didn't have it on. So since i don't have Liquid metal available at the moment what i did was spread in a better fashion what was already applied, but as u can see in the pictures there was so much spillage that i am actually impressed there hasn't been a shorted circuit already, specially with the guard not correctly placed. By moving the LM i managed to bring down the temperatures of the processor to 88C while playing Dota, so it is not thermally throttling anymore.
This has given me about 15 more consistent fps in dota in comparison to before the fix. I also changed the GPU thermal paste to TG Kryonaut which i had available, but this has actually increased the GPU max temp to 80C during the same game of Dota. My thermal paste was a little bit old so i don't know if that is the reason, or if it is the CPU pushing more heat to the pipes not allowing the GPU to be as cool as it was before. I've seen much better numbers from other ppl ( 70ish CPU and 60ish GPU) with proper repasting of the LM and thermal paste so might be trying that once i get my hands on some Conductonaut. Still not impressed with factory work. see for yourself.

also after cleaning the factory thermal paste from the GPU copper heatsink, this stain was left behind and i was not able to remove it.
12 REPLIES 12

world
What's your GPU and CPU utilization look like while you play dota 2?

You mentioned your CPU temperature is high-- what's your GPU temperature look like while you game?

world wrote:
What's your GPU and CPU utilization look like while you play dota 2?

You mentioned your CPU temperature is high-- what's your GPU temperature look like while you game?

about gpu and cpu utilization i wouldn't know just yet, i will install some software to read that since alt+tab would not be accurate when checked on armoury crate.

update: i have partially troubleshot it, there is some GameDVR thing for windows 11 that was eating resources, i deactivated that and it improved just some now hovering around 100 but still dipping mid game and in intense fights towards 70(this does not happen with the lesser HP Omen 15 my friend has). My CPU temps are basically at 95C when i have checked armoury crate mid game. which tells me it must be the cpu throttling. gpu temps tend to be a lot lower, around 75 or less, i will double check next time. Another thing i have noticed is when the game is on pause. Everything is still rendered in Dota while on pause and you can look at your hero and move the camera around the map etc, but the players are just frozen...so when that happens the FPS skyrockets to 150ish, which then again tells me it is the CPU struggling to keep up, probably due to temp. will update with some screens once i get the software installed.

I may also try to repaste the CPU liquid metal and the GPU thermal paste. The fans do work as intended, 4400rpm 45db. But somehow the CPU is heating like crazy and Dota is not even a game that uses that many cores...

Also my room temperature is 18C so even crazier

Why is this being moved, like my previous thread also?.
This is an asus ZEPHYRUS g15

Edit by cl-Albert 6/1/22: Sorry, my mistake and thanks for letting me know.

xeromist
I believe your notebook has a native resolution of 2560x1440 and your friend's has a native of 1920x1080. Are you running them at the same resolution?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I believe your notebook has a native resolution of 2560x1440 and your friend's has a native of 1920x1080. Are you running them at the same resolution?

good observation. but my friend is using an external monitor that is 1440p. i understand this could be bypassing nvidia optimus but even then the framerate difference is way too much (remember he has a 80w 3060 and i have a 80-100w 3070 and a higher tier processor). i haven't had the chance yet to upload screenshots with cpu and gpu utilization since i have to install msi afterburner for that, but i have played one game and it starts around 130fps but it goes way down into the 70's mid game while my friend is still from 110ish to 100 in intense fights, also my framerate seems to be a lot more all over the place, moving between 100 and 130 at game start. We both have windows 11.
I will ask of him to use laptop monitor with increased resolution rendering to match the 1440p and see how that goes.

using balance(performance mode) which is what i usually game on these are the current CPU and GPU results for Dota 2 1440p max settings. Averaging 100fps initial state and diminishing towards 70-80 when populated fights are in place.

you should guide by the MAXIMUM value as anything else is not representative of in game values since they start decreasing once i ALT+TAB to screenshot the results, but i can assure that the cpu and gpu while in-game are running at those maximun values. which are 93C for CPU and almost 77C for GPU. If i use Turbo profile values are virtually similar with no fps increase while reaching 100W on the GPU power draw. What is not so great is the AVERAGE core effective clock speeds on the CPU, those values were taken from full ingame rendering and a quick screenshot alttabbing and it is only reaching 1600mhz, while maximum is about 3600mhz.

Is this good enough reason for a RMA request?. Mine is still under warranty.

xeromist
Definitely looks to be the CPU holding you back, yeah.

When you are concerned about throttling I recommend comparing your unit to other publicly available data like reviews or forum posts(of the exact same model). The way laptops are designed these days it's difficult to compare between brands. Some trade performance for portability even with the same or better specs. Basically everything can/does throttle but if yours is doing it more than others of the same model then you should set up an RMA.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Definitely looks to be the CPU holding you back, yeah.

When you are concerned about throttling I recommend comparing your unit to other publicly available data like reviews or forum posts(of the exact same model). The way laptops are designed these days it's difficult to compare between brands. Some trade performance for portability even with the same or better specs. Basically everything can/does throttle but if yours is doing it more than others of the same model then you should set up an RMA.

that makes sense but i've found no one benchmarking dota 2, would have to try other games. what i am sure of is that these temps are not normal. There is plenty of posts benchmarking this laptop with uningine valley and others and none reaches even 80C on CPU, mine goes to 93C 😞

xeromist
Yep, probably a bad thermal interface if I had to guess. Technically a repaste or liquid metal is something you can do or pay a local shop to do but when you have a warranty you might as well use it. If there's something more complex like a defect in the heatsink then a repaste won't help and it would have to be swapped under warranty anyway.