cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z690 Motherboard Fail after Armory Crate Update

Astroturf
Level 8
Not sure where best to start this. 2 June Armory Crate informed me there were 2 app updates. I installed them and restarted PC. AI Suite III failed. Uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted to a blank screen. Unable to get into BIOS - totally blank screen. Moved HDMI from RTX3060 card to motherboard. Still blank. Tried Displayport to different monitor. Blank. Removed graphics card and tried motherboard video outputs. Still can't get into UEFI BIOS. Reset CMOS, removed battery, swapped RAM, removed SSD. Dead. All fans spin up happily but absolutely no video. Anyone else have this issue? Have returned the motherboard for supplier to investigate so now without the PC for 7 days+. Very frustrating. Mobo was Prime Z690-P Wifi D4 . Never had an ASUS motherboard totally bricked before.
8 REPLIES 8

DragDay7
Level 9
How long have you waited on blank screen? It can have a hiccup and take a minute or two before it gets into boot screen. Also, do you have a speaker connected to FP header? You can try figure out what's wrong by listening how many beeps it make.

DragDay7 wrote:
How long have you waited on blank screen? It can have a hiccup and take a minute or two before it gets into boot screen. Also, do you have a speaker connected to FP header? You can try figure out what's wrong by listening how many beeps it make.

Good ideas. I had speaker connected and there was no sound at all. Let it run for about 2 minutes and there was not even a screen flicker. I got worried that I was cooking the CPU so didn't let it run longer than that.

Astroturf wrote:
Good ideas. I had speaker connected and there was no sound at all. Let it run for about 2 minutes and there was not even a screen flicker. I got worried that I was cooking the CPU so didn't let it run longer than that.

Speaker didn't work on my board at first, Different board. Had to switch it on in the Bios. Can't remember where or what it was called though, sorry, but atleast you should be able to get it to work in the replacement board

Astroturf
Level 8
Update: Supplier provided a refund as tested non-functional. Good that ASUS provided refund. Have now obtained ROG Strix Z690 Wifi D board, but my original RAM doesn't work. Thought it was on the QVL but although it worked with PRIME no good for STRIX, which is disappointing. New boards seem to be very fussy 🙂

Astroturf wrote:
Update: Supplier provided a refund as tested non-functional. Good that ASUS provided refund. Have now obtained ROG Strix Z690 Wifi D board, but my original RAM doesn't work. Thought it was on the QVL but although it worked with PRIME no good for STRIX, which is disappointing. New boards seem to be very fussy 🙂

Can you run the RAM at a lower speed or even just one stick so you can get the machine running until you can acquire another kit? Sucks to have a paper weight because of memory compatibility.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Can you run the RAM at a lower speed or even just one stick so you can get the machine running until you can acquire another kit? Sucks to have a paper weight because of memory compatibility.

Sucks alright. Tried one stick, different channels, different sticks. No good. Amber light before getting to finish POST. Manufacturer didn't understand the problem as they asked for dumps from within Windows 🙂 Let them know that I cannot get into UEFI let alone Windows. Supplier is letting me return RAM for them to test. Hopefully a refund or credit on QVL RAM. Still the process is a pain!

Astroturf wrote:
Manufacturer didn't understand the problem as they asked for dumps from within Windows 🙂

xDDDDD

This is getting out of control Asus.

DragDay7 wrote:
xDDDDD

This is getting out of control Asus.

TBH It was a Team T-Force recommendation. Yet to hear back from them but they usually respond within 6 -8 hours.