cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable system after updating to BIOS v1505 for Strix Z690-E

ElectronSpin
Level 7
Hi,

I'm seeing some major instability in my system after updating to BIOS v1505 now. Is anyone else seeing this or is it just me?

I've had great stability running everything at stock settings (i.e. 6000mhz on RAM, default voltages and no CPU overclock etc) since about BIOS version 811. Each time I have updated the BIOS since then I've had no issues until now. I've been using the XMP1 profile the whole time just fine.

Since installing v1505 I get constant crashes booting into Windows 11 or after a few minutes just browsing etc if I can boot into Windows at all. I've tried giving a little more VDD and VDDQ (1.325v each vs 1.3v which was the stock setting for my RAM). I've also tried running XMP2 profile but no joy with the system still crashing constantly. I ran a Memtest86 which passed fine, but Windows still wouldn't run stable. I didn't get to trying running the "RAMTest" program in Windows, but pretty sure it would of failed very fast.

To be able to make this post I've dropped everything back to default settings, so my RAM is now running 4800Mhz and it seems stable so far in terms of me being able to use a browser for more than 2 mins!

Be vert interested to hear other peoples experiences with v1505.

Also any advice on how to downgrade the BIOS would be great... ASUS EzFlash utility in the BIOS won't now read the v1403 BIOS file so I guess I need to take a different approve to downgrading?

Cheers
25 REPLIES 25

Babtista
Level 8
ElectronSpin wrote:
Hi,

I'm seeing some major instability in my system after updating to BIOS v1505 now. Is anyone else seeing this or is it just me?

I've had great stability running everything at stock settings (i.e. 6000mhz on RAM, default voltages and no CPU overclock etc) since about BIOS version 811. Each time I have updated the BIOS since then I've had no issues until now. I've been using the XMP1 profile the whole time just fine.

Since installing v1505 I get constant crashes booting into Windows 11 or after a few minutes just browsing etc if I can boot into Windows at all. I've tried giving a little more VDD and VDDQ (1.325v each vs 1.3v which was the stock setting for my RAM). I've also tried running XMP2 profile but no joy with the system still crashing constantly. I ran a Memtest86 which passed fine, but Windows still wouldn't run stable. I didn't get to trying running the "RAMTest" program in Windows, but pretty sure it would of failed very fast.

To be able to make this post I've dropped everything back to default settings, so my RAM is now running 4800Mhz and it seems stable so far in terms of me being able to use a browser for more than 2 mins!

Also any advice on how to downgrade the BIOS would be great... ASUS EzFlash utility in the BIOS won't now read the v1403 BIOS file so I guess I need to take a different approve to downgrading?

Cheers

Hello i have the exaclty same issues!exactly !!!!

Just read this

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?129231-ROG-MAXIMUS-Z690-HERO-Bios-NEW-1505-2022-06-02

let me know if you find any solution with your system at that post because its also other people that they can help us!

Im running also right now without xmp bios 1505 all auto with 12600k and with z690 G motherboard at 4800mhz (stock my ram is 6000mhz KF560C40BBK2-16 kingston)my pc not boot at XMP II or XMP I only with XMP II at 5600mhz but im getting crashes and Bsods on windows and games.

Babtista wrote:
Hello i have the exaclty same issues!exactly !!!!

Just read this

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?129231-ROG-MAXIMUS-Z690-HERO-Bios-NEW-1505-2022-06-02

let me know if you find any solution with your system at that post because its also other people that they can help us!

Im running also right now without xmp bios 1505 all auto with 12600k and with z690 G motherboard at 4800mhz (stock my ram is 6000mhz KF560C40BBK2-16 kingston)my pc not boot at XMP II or XMP I only with XMP II at 5600mhz but im getting crashes and Bsods on windows and games.

you don't have a strix e, so no, not same, stop cross posting.

jwooldridge
Level 7
ElectronSpin wrote:
Hi,

Cheers

I have a similar experience on 1505 with a Prime Z690-A. I'm using a Gskill DDR5 6000 2x16GB memory kit that is on the QVL list for that motherboard.

On 1403, I was using the XMP1 profile and had infrequent crashes on certain games (Far Cry 6 and Assassin's Creed Valhalla most often). I was about to write it off as a problem with Ubisoft Connect or Epic Games Store, or perhaps a problem with those games in general.

These crashes would present as the screen freezing while the audio continued, and then would result in a reset of the display driver. I did not experience any blue screen errors or unplanned restarts on 1403.

I could not reproduce the crashes with benchmarks or stress tests in Furmark/3d Mark. Windows standard memory tests passed. I attempted the extended memory test, but it seemed to stall 3/4ths through the test, though it did not log any errors.

On 1505, it will POST fine on XMP1 or XMP2 profiles. It passed the Windows standard memory tests, but any attempt to play a game would result in a crash to desktop with no error logged within several seconds or up to a minute within starting the game.

I once received a blue screen error, IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL that resulted in an unplanned restart.

Turning off XMP profiles and running at 4800 completely eliminated any crashes I was getting. For now, the stability of running at 4800 outweighs any performance gains I was getting from running at 6000 - so I'll likely wait for a future BIOS before attempting to use the XMP profiles again.

I know that with an i7-12700k, the internal memory controller is a factor and 4800 is all Intel can guarantee, I just thought it was odd that a BIOS intended to increase DRAM stability actually exacerbated my issue.

So I've ended up downgrading to BIOS v1403 and now have my system's stability back.

I'm now running at stock settings again (e.g. 6000mhz for my RAM etc etc) and everything seems fine.

ElectronSpin wrote:
So I've ended up downgrading to BIOS v1403 and now have my system's stability back.

I'm now running at stock settings again (e.g. 6000mhz for my RAM etc etc) and everything seems fine.

Same motherboard and I have the same issues with BIOS 1505. Did you downgrade the same way as updating your BIOS using EZ Flash utility? For some reason, I can't downgrade back to v1403, I keep on getting "selected file is not proper BIOS" every time I try to read the 1403 .CAP file in the EZ Flash Utility. How'd you downgrade back to v1403?

RustyMachines01 wrote:
Same motherboard and I have the same issues with BIOS 1505. Did you downgrade the same way as updating your BIOS using EZ Flash utility? For some reason, I can't downgrade back to v1403, I keep on getting "selected file is not proper BIOS" every time I try to read the 1403 .CAP file in the EZ Flash Utility. How'd you downgrade back to v1403?

HI mate, just follow the following link.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101585-downgrade-bios

Hello

I have the same problems with this BIOS 1505 on my ROG Z690 Extreme. I had a BSOD all the time and, seeing no help, I reinstalled the entire Windows 11 system.
After reinstallation it was much better, but i noticed that something was wrong with the RAM and anabled XMP profile (G.Skill Trident Z5 F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5K). With the XMP profile enabled, the system fails the 'PRIME95' torture test and the system's 'Windows Memory Diagnostic' program immediately shows a message that there is hardware failure. At the moment I stayed with this bios version 1505, but disabled the XMP profile.

Hi

Three months in hell, 12900kf, gaming g, corsair 5600 cl36. 1405, 1505 unstable. 1304 stable on xmp1 and 6000, here are my settings:
xmp1,
vdd, vvdq, iv vddq 1.435
imc 1.35
sa 0.95
pl1 170, pl2 175, sync all cores p 50 e auto, mce off intel limits
*vvd, vddq switching freq 1.5
temps with aio zalman z36 under 90.
it,s really stable now, what a wonder))Â*

ElectronSpin wrote:

A bit of an older comment, but I'm hoping that you might be able to help me... I'm trying to roll back my asus bios 2004 build to the 1702 build, and when I try to load the file, it says "selected file is not a proper bios" (when it is). :0