cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus WS-C246 Pro issues

DirtyGuy
Level 7
Building a server for home use. Started with an i3-9100 as it was cheap and had ECC support. Got it up and running with little issues. Decided to upgrade the CPU to a Xeon E-2144G...

Build:
Super Flower Leadex III 650W 80+ Gold
Asus WS-C246 Pro BIOS updated to 1901
x2 970 EVO SSD m.2
x2 MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G3 Micron 16GB DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM

I get Q-code 96, 9A and 24 most repeatedly.

Tried with just boot drive only, no change.

Only a chepo keyboard and mouse connected. Unplug both and no change.

Re-seated RAM and CPU a number of times, separately or at same time. Ram in different slots also. No change.

Put the i3-9100 back in and nothing what so ever wrong. Xeon Dead CPU or is there something I'm missing to run a Xeon?
10 REPLIES 10

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Have you tried updating the UEFI to the latest version?

Support for the 2144G was available on 0502, but may be worth updating regardless.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I started with 1801 and after these issues updated to 1901 with change.

Its random if I get code 24 or 96. Also the white VGA light is on. Not getting the 9A code now.

Noted that when re-seating the CPU it was cold. As if it was never even trying to power.

Do I need all three power connected for Xeon?

Nate152
Hi DirtyGuy

You need to connect the 24-pin main power cable and the 8-pin cpu power cable A and B.

C is a 6-pin pcie connector, you only need to connect this if using two or more graphics cards.

ok, that is how I have it set already.

xeromist
Do you know the history of the E-2144G? If you're getting a VGA light with no external graphics installed then that doesn't bode well for the CPU.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Do you know the history of the E-2144G? If you're getting a VGA light with no external graphics installed then that doesn't bode well for the CPU.

I did buy it used. It is/was "guaranteed" working. They did offer to replace it but I wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue on my end before doing that.

Also is Asus support retarded? I put a ticket in for this to see if there was anything they could help with. Not the first ticket I put in with Asus for something over the years. Each time I get response's back that have absolutely nothing to do with what I asked or my issue. They responded to this saying I am correct, that the memory I have should work on this board. I never once asked anything about memory. This is the last Asus product I will be buying. Not the same company it used to be.

Nate152
The i3-9100 works.

It sounds like a bad cpu as the Xeon E-2144G is on the supported cpu list but doesn't work with the latest bios.

Get that replacement A.S.A.P.

Nate152 wrote:
The i3-9100 works.

It sounds like a bad cpu as the Xeon E-2144G is on the supported cpu list but doesn't work with the latest bios.

Get that replacement A.S.A.P.

So this should be just a drop in and go swap then right?