cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set the DNS on an ac2900? Keeps disconnecting!

PSYKOnz
Level 9
Hi there, I'm looking for some wisdom, I'm trying to set up the DNS on my brand new AC2900 router, however when ever I change it the internet crashes and the only way to get it working again is to do a factory reset.

I have tired the ones listed on the router and also manually entering the addresses of them aswell as of the address of my ISP, nothing seems to work, same results every time, change it to anything other than get from isp automatically the internet crashes and I have to reset to factory and start again

I must be doing something wrong, surly, but I don't know what, please help
3 REPLIES 3

RedSector73
Level 12
What are you setting the DNS too ?

Typically, I use Cloudflare

Been a while since I used Asus router, might help if screenshot what you're doing. Also, might want to check your ISP doesn't rebind DNS to them or actively block outside DNS, in which case you may need to cloak it.

I'm aiming for cloudflare like you, it just doesn't seem to work

What really strange is that I checked through DNS leak test and the one that the router picked automatically from my ISP is r even the one the ISP says to use on there site, it says it's a DNS from my ISP but it's different, so buggered if I know

I have emailed my ISP about the DNS and if I'm abke to change it

At this stage my process is as follows

Go to the DNS page on the router

Enter primary
Enter secondary IP

Hit apply

Internet disconnected
Restart router
Still DC
Restart fiber box thing
Still DC
Restart both
Still DC
Reset router to factory
Reset all settings
Internet up

I'm very confused

RedSector73
Level 12
Try https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ Merlin firmware, you can flash back to Asus firmware, no harm in trying. Been while since used it (moved off ASUS routers about three years ago), but it has better DNS control. Actually, it was the only reason I ever went to Asus router, about 12 years ago.