cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Hero X (WiFi) with Corsair 3600 RAM BSOD

JamieLee2k
Level 7
ok so let me tell you a little bit about my build and then I can get into the problems I am having, So I have an ASUS Hero X (WiFi-AC) with Intel 8600K and 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Ram (CMR16GX4M2C3600C18).

So this is the issues I am having, In 2018 when I built the system I only had 16gb of ram and my system was running like a dream, Only 8 months ago I found some second hand RAM (exact same model, version, everything) so I bought it, I did a memtest86 on the RAM for 24 hours doing the tests multiple times and not a single error was found, I was happy and so I stuck them in with my current RAM making them 32GB, but this is where the problem starts, I am getting BSOD randomly and there is no rhyme or reason as to when I will get this BSOD and I have been searching for answers for a very long time, only a week ago I spoke to a friend that told me that the problem is most likely the Memory controller on the Board, now my RAM is rated as 3600MHz and this is where the problem starts, I have tried changing the CPU VCCIO voltage to 1.15v and the CPU System Agent voltage to 1.15v but I am still getting the BSOD, I have also spoke to Corsair discord and they seem to think its the memory controller and that it doesn't like 4 sticks of DIMM running at 3600MHz so I have turned it down to 3200 and it seems to be ok, but I have not bought the 3600 to run at 3200 so how can I fix this problem?
7 REPLIES 7

ahfoo
Level 13
Did you try to run in XMP mode?

RedSector73
Level 12
Is the version number on them identical too ?

Yes I am running in XMP mode and both versions are the exact same, Apart from the serial number its identical.

RedSector73
Level 12
There are no guarantees with RAM even when they match (unless bought as a x4 set), however from experience, keep the matched pairs together and then try rotating them around in the slots. You may find it will eventually work in one configuration. The issue is nearly always with the sub-timings.

If you want more scientific way of doing it than typhoon burner.

I have been running my PC for days at 3200MHz and it runs fine, no issues but as soon as I put it on 3600MHz I get random BSOD, so based on that it has to be a power issue? maybe the CPU memory controller?

JamieLee2k wrote:
I have been running my PC for days at 3200MHz and it runs fine, no issues but as soon as I put it on 3600MHz I get random BSOD, so based on that it has to be a power issue? maybe the CPU memory controller?

Could be damage due to static, did you follow good ESD working practices when you installed the motherboard and memory? You may have damaged the memory controller in the motherboard/CPU when you first installed the board and only showing up now when it has to work with more memory, or the RAM is damaged when you installed it, maybe try testing it again? Also the damage maybe in the original memory and when the system remaps it all for the new memory, the damaged part of the original memory is now in use where before it was spare memory not used by the OS, so worth testing the original memory.

Not sure why it would be a power issue, the memory is hardly drawing that much power in the grand scheme of things.

If you don't have one already, get a anti-static wrist strap and google best practices for electronics to prevent damage from ESD, at least if nothing else you can rule that out if you follow good practices.

A huge percentage of returned CPU components are found to have been damage by static and were fine when they left the factory. You don't have to feel static sparks, static of just a few tens of volts can damage CPUs and memory, you wouldn't feel a spark until it is in the thousands of volts.

ahfoo
Level 13
In order to make use of 4 RAM slot. The RAM module must be in Quad pair when you purchase. Even though may not 100 percent working well off course it quite unique and rare. I do suggest you to perform swapping the ram the slot if any slot not working or the ram module having some bad pin or oxidize in away. Keep us posted your progress in this thread. You have a good day ahead.