cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Chakram - unreliable RF 2.4Ghz connection

Norcus
Level 8
Hello!

I just got this mouse today and I have been struggling for a while to get the RF connection to work. Eventually I got the best result by plugging the dongle to the adapter and then on the charging cable and keeping the dongle really close to the mouse. However, the mouse pointer sometimes disappears and sometimes it jumps around erratically.

Is this a known problem? Can I get a new dongle or should I RMA the mouse. I play some FPS games and using the stiff supplied cable is not an option.
13 REPLIES 13

xeromist
I have used a Chakram dongle at about 3ft or 1m and not had any issues. Plugging the dongle into the back of a chassis could be an issue depending on how much material is obstructing the connection and where your PC is located. If you have the extension up on your desk less than 1m from the mouse and you are still having problems then you either have some sort of interference or a defective unit.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Norcus
Level 8
Yes, I have my dongle right next to the mousepad and connection can sometimes be lost for a few seconds. If I move it further away it happens more frequently. At 1m connection is lost.

Nate152
Hi Norcus,

You have some other nice ROG hardware too, have you tried installing Armoury Crate and running the updates?

Before installing Armoury Crate, connect the dongles for your mouse and keyboard to usb ports, connect the cables to your mouse and keyboard and usb ports, make sure the wireless switches on the mouse and keyboard are set to 2.4GHz wireless mode.

Install Armoury Crate and run the updates, all should go well.

Select your operting system then download version 3.1.4.0

https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/Armoury%20Crate/HelpDesk_Download/

When fully updated it should look like this, click the pic to make it bigger.

Norcus
Level 8
I did all the updates immediately. Plugging the RF dongle into the PC (40-50cm away from mousepad) does not work. Sometimes it will connect, but it will loose connection frequently. I tried all ports, both on the rear IO and front of the case. The only thing that sort of works is having the dongle on an extension cable lying right next to my mousepad, but last night I was playing Quake with some friends the mouse started loosing connection intermittently during gameplay.

Also the left mouse button makes an annoying squeaky noise as the button cap chafes against the plastic bits in front of and behind the mouse wheel.

I wanted to control my peripherals through one software suite and my old Logitech products were worn and batteries required frequent charging so I switched to ROG. I must say I am disappointed. The headset electrocuted my ear so it was returned. Now I must return the mouse. My motherboard also has defects, but I can live with them as returning it would leave me without a PC for too long.

Basically 3 out of 4 premium ROG products failed. At this point I doubt I am unlucky. This seems like a result of poor product design and manufacture proces.

Nate152
Thank you,

You say your motherboard has defects, what sort of defects are you having with it?

Have you updated the bios for your motherboard?

Does all look good in Device Manager with no missing drivers?

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you,

You say your motherboard has defects, what sort of defects are you having with it?

Have you updated the bios for your motherboard?

Does all look good in Device Manager with no missing drivers?

Hey! you might be on to something. Look at my devices. The mouse is listed under both keyboards and mice but the keyboard is listed under mice. Could it be that the system mixes up the two dongles? Any idea on how to prevent this?

This is normal and nothing to worry about, mine shows the same.

Norcus wrote:
Hey! you might be on to something. Look at my devices. The mouse is listed under both keyboards and mice but the keyboard is listed under mice. Could it be that the system mixes up the two dongles? Any idea on how to prevent this?

Norcus
Level 8
All software is being updated regularly. I might do a fresh install soon though.

Ok so you got me started on the motherbiard. The rear IO plate chafes against the button for BIOS reset. This caused strange behaviour for a while before I discovered that the button would gradually be pressed in by the IO plate. Sometiumes the system would go into endless reboot cycles or not turn on at all. I had to use plyers to pull it out and then crudely deform the hole for the button to resolve the issue. Also the front USB 3 ports do not deliver proper power and some devices will not charge or power on when connected to them (this could be a problem with the case though).

Other minor issues:
The plug for the front audio connector is incredibly clumsily placed. The M2 slot and heatsink is so close to the PCIE slot that it causes tension and a slight angle on the graphics card. There have been numerous strange bugs but with the latest BIOS everything seems to work fine.

Nate152
Ah, you had to do a little case modding for the clear cmos button. Not too big of a deal and nice to see you have the skill to resolve the issue.

You find the HD audio connector clumsily placed but if you got it connected and is working ok, all sounds good there.

When a usb 3.0 case cable is connected to a usb 3.0 header this will activate and power two front case usb 3.0 ports.

You could take a picture and show us the tension and angle of your graphics card and post it for us.

So, after a bios update all is working well including the wireless connection with your ROG Chakram mouse?

This is sounding better, please list any problems you're still having.