cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z590 Maximus 13 Apex no boot with latest BIOS (code 99)

Rocket_Scientis
Level 8
Hi.
Recently I've updated motherboard bios from 1301 to 1402 and motherboard not boot. Post code shows 99 with green led and Asus ROG logo on monitor screen. Also I can't enter the bios, keyboard is not reacting and it looks like a system hang. I had 2 or 3 successful boots, it took a while. I just waited and motherboard started to boot into Windows after 2-3 minutes. I've tried to load optimised defaults but no difference. Even CMOS reset is not helps. Some users mentioned that code 99 on Asus boards might be keyboard or mouse related but after unplugging it's still a code 99.
If I use bios flashback and flash bios 1301 then seems like everything is fine (I believe, I got this particular board only 2 days ago). Factory bios 0506 from 2nd bios ROM boots fine too.
Any advice?

System specs are:

i7-11700K
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Z590 Maximus XIII Apex
Kingston KF436C16RB1K2/32
Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super Gaming OC
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2
Samsung 980 PRO 500GB (Windows)
Goodram IR-SSDPR-P34B-01T-80 1TB
Windows 10
LG 27GL650F
4 REPLIES 4

Ashtr1x_86
Level 7
Rocket Scientist wrote:
Hi.
Recently I've updated motherboard bios from 1301 to 1402 and motherboard not boot. Post code shows 99 with green led and Asus ROG logo on monitor screen. Also I can't enter the bios, keyboard is not reacting and it looks like a system hang. I had 2 or 3 successful boots, it took a while. I just waited and motherboard started to boot into Windows after 2-3 minutes. I've tried to load optimised defaults but no difference. Even CMOS reset is not helps. Some users mentioned that code 99 on Asus boards might be keyboard or mouse related but after unplugging it's still a code 99.
If I use bios flashback and flash bios 1301 then seems like everything is fine (I believe, I got this particular board only 2 days ago). Factory bios 0506 from 2nd bios ROM boots fine too.
Any advice?

System specs are:

i7-11700K
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Z590 Maximus XIII Apex
Kingston KF436C16RB1K2/32
Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super Gaming OC
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2
Samsung 980 PRO 500GB (Windows)
Goodram IR-SSDPR-P34B-01T-80 1TB
Windows 10
LG 27GL650F

Hi, this is my first post here and ironically I have to reply to an issue thread.

Well, I bought an Apex, the ASUS QC is so bad that almost like 4 mobos have their edges paint chipping off exposing the board traces. Some boards were having that to a huge extent. Finally got one board which did not have this issue. Some boards had DIMM slots plastic with hazy finish too (whitish residue which won't go away even after wiping with Alchohol pads)

Ultimately I was fine with what I got finally with 10900K, 3090FE, C16 GSkill 4000MHz 32GB kit, Liquid Freezer II 360, and code 99, massive failure and disappointment. I tried BIOS FlashBack to 1202, did not work. BIOS slot changed no dice. The QLED light stuck at Yellow/Green always. I thought ODD SATA drive might be causing but after disconnecting that also got the same issue. All fans spin up perfectly fine, the AIO liquid also flowed through first time too. All brand new components. I bought PS/2 KB+M for my Windows 7 installation, tried them instead of USB and vice versa nothing worked. Oh I had 2x 980 Pros connected through DIMM.2, removed it and tried also did not work.

Not sure what ASUS is doing for QC, really painful because no other board has 8X SATA ports with External SATA controller (helps with ODD Windows 7) which allows all drives plus 2x M.2 SSDs also work, Z590 ACE has all good stuff esp the AL backplate, Thunderbolt 4, Native USB 2.0 ports (for Windows 7). And solid HW but the 6X SATA on that board doesn't allow to run 2x NVMe SSDs with all SATA occupied. Plus despite that other thread you started on the ALC4080 issues (Thanks for that thread) I followed it all the way to the end, still was going with this board because of the feature set it has relative to the 10th gen performance, DIMM slot performance, etc.

Not sure if this is something new that ASUS screwed up or just insane bad luck.

Did you get it resolved ? I sent it back though it was in return period, almost expired the 30 day return.

Ashtr1x_86 wrote:
Hi, this is my first post here and ironically I have to reply to an issue thread.

Well, I bought an Apex, the ASUS QC is so bad that almost like 4 mobos have their edges paint chipping off exposing the board traces. Some boards were having that to a huge extent. Finally got one board which did not have this issue. Some boards had DIMM slots plastic with hazy finish too (whitish residue which won't go away even after wiping with Alchohol pads)

Ultimately I was fine with what I got finally with 10900K, 3090FE, C16 GSkill 4000MHz 32GB kit, Liquid Freezer II 360, and code 99, massive failure and disappointment. I tried BIOS FlashBack to 1202, did not work. BIOS slot changed no dice. The QLED light stuck at Yellow/Green always. I thought ODD SATA drive might be causing but after disconnecting that also got the same issue. All fans spin up perfectly fine, the AIO liquid also flowed through first time too. All brand new components. I bought PS/2 KB+M for my Windows 7 installation, tried them instead of USB and vice versa nothing worked. Oh I had 2x 980 Pros connected through DIMM.2, removed it and tried also did not work.

Not sure what ASUS is doing for QC, really painful because no other board has 8X SATA ports with External SATA controller (helps with ODD Windows 7) which allows all drives plus 2x M.2 SSDs also work, Z590 ACE has all good stuff esp the AL backplate, Thunderbolt 4, Native USB 2.0 ports (for Windows 7). And solid HW but the 6X SATA on that board doesn't allow to run 2x NVMe SSDs with all SATA occupied. Plus despite that other thread you started on the ALC4080 issues (Thanks for that thread) I followed it all the way to the end, still was going with this board because of the feature set it has relative to the 10th gen performance, DIMM slot performance, etc.

Not sure if this is something new that ASUS screwed up or just insane bad luck.

Did you get it resolved ? I sent it back though it was in return period, almost expired the 30 day return.

Hi. I didn't found any solution yet. I have this particular board only for 5 days. But in my case it might be a BIOS flaw because DIMM.2 slot works fine with BIOS 1301 and below versions. Only BIOS 1402 (latest) have this boot problem.
I think if it was something wrong with DIMM.2 slot or DIMM.2 module then it wouldn't work with previous BIOS versions too. Right now I'm using 1301. Samsung 980 Pro is installed into motherboard Nvme slot M.2_1 (1st one under CPU socket) and Goodram Nvme is installed into DIMM.2_1 module slot.
I really don't know what to say in your situation. Is your board can boot with both Samsungs installed into board Nvme slots?
I have open support thread related to this issue. You can track it if you want, and even post your problem there too.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?129387-Z590-Maximus-13-Apex-no-boot-with-latest-BIOS-(code...

Rocket Scientist wrote:
Hi. I didn't found any solution yet. I have this particular board only for 5 days. But in my case it might be a BIOS flaw because DIMM.2 slot works fine with BIOS 1301 and below versions. Only BIOS 1402 (latest) have this boot problem.
I think if it was something wrong with DIMM.2 slot or DIMM.2 module then it wouldn't work with previous BIOS versions too. Right now I'm using 1301. Samsung 980 Pro is installed into motherboard Nvme slot M.2_1 (1st one under CPU socket) and Goodram Nvme is installed into DIMM.2_1 module slot.
I really don't know what to say in your situation. Is your board can boot with both Samsungs installed into board Nvme slots?
I have open support thread related to this issue. You can track it if you want, and even post your problem there too.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?129387-Z590-Maximus-13-Apex-no-boot-with-latest-BIOS-(code...

Hello thank you.

I saw your thread.. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to keep it because I was very much disappointing how it turned out, this project of mine was in works since a year and sent it back. So I only got to try without DIMM.2 and it still failed. Did CMOS CLR no dice. I tested with 1 DIMM too, and a set of same speed GSKill pair, did not work and stuck at code99. The BIOS FlashBack succeeded since the flashing stopped which meant the BIOS worked, 1202 BIOS. Yet it did not POST unlike your case where except 1402 everything works. I will follow your thread.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

As this thread is being responded to in ROG Care I will now lock this.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090