Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Moderator Array

Hi Rocket Scientist,
    Our tech team has tested the motherboard and devices at hand on bios 1402 for 10 times, but don't encounter qcode99 issue.
    Here is the testing pic in bios:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DIMM.2.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	93685
    Please send your motherboard to our RMA for further examination.
    For "bios is updating" message, if the EC versions are different in two bios chips, it is normal to get the message when switch between them.
    Thank you.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Hello!
    Could you please ask them to reproduce this the same way as I did?
    I've made a 15 minutes video where I show every step.

Video: https://disk.yandex.com/i/iMsSB8gawUtafw

I don't believe my motherboard is faulty because it works with BIOS 1301 and this is shown in my video (except it can hang with code 00 during PC restart or shutdown process, but this is happens very rare... Like once per 20-50 reboots but not sure if this is 1301 BIOS related).

I thought problem might be my Kingston RAM but today I tested it with G.SKILL kit and it also gives me qcode 99. All components were tested with Z590 Aorus Master motherboard (and everything works) with latest F8a BIOS which contains Intel security update like Apex XIII 1402 BIOS. I believe something wrong with the 1402 BIOS with it's "Improve system compatibility and stability" release note... Might be they are improved something wrong. Again, faulty motherboard wouldn't work with previous BIOS but it does work with 1301 and below. Seems logic to me.
    I've already sent one Apex 13 in RMA when it made static noise (you may remember my forum thread related to this issue with reproduce method) and you said to RMA motherboard but problem was fixed later. Now I bought 2nd Apex 13 which have problem with latest BIOS and you ask for RMA again. Please, don't do this again. I want enjoy purchased product, not spend my time in tinkering it or RMA. And previous RMA wasn't smooth and easy, believe me.

P.S. Speaking of changes. Some default settings were changed in BIOS 1402. Here is pictures for example. Comparison between 1301 and 1402.
    This indirectly confirms the idea that the problem may be in the changed 1402 BIOS settings. I'm not claiming that the problem in these particular settings but it might be somewhere else. However I didn't managed to fix anything by changing values I've tried to change in the BIOS.

Name:	1301 VF.jpg 
Size:	471.2 KB 
ID:	93687

Name:	1402 VF.jpg 
Size:	499.3 KB 
ID:	93689

Name:	1301 current.jpg 
Size:	392.0 KB 
ID:	93690

Name:	1402 current.jpg 
Size:	405.4 KB 
ID:	93688
    Last edited by Rocket Scientist; 06-28-2022 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Pictures

Moderator Array

Hi Rocket Scientist,
    As you can see in the testing pic from our tech team, it can enter bios on bios 1402 with 2 ram sticks installed and drive installed in DIMM.2 slot.
    However, I will forward your feedback to our tech team to check again.
    Thank you.

Hello. I found one trick. If I'll change my system configuration - then system will boot with BIOS 1402. For example, if I get qcode 99, I can remove graphics card, power on my PC, it will show D6 error. I turn off my PC and install graphics card back or install different graphics card. Or extract CPU from the CPU socket and install it back to trigger "CPU has been changed" POST message. And PC will work if I won't try to enter the BIOS. E.g. It will pass stress tests, there is no any errors in device manager or Windows event log, I can restart my PC etc. So I still believe that the motherboard is fine + as I said before previous BIOS versions doesn't have any issues in this regard.
    Problem occur only when I try to enter the BIOS when BIOS 1402 is flashed. May be they changed voltages, timeout or something. Please, ask them to check everything one more time.
    May be there is insufficent voltage for my CPU to start because I have not very good sample or something else. I don't know. But motherboard can pass stress tests like OCCT with AVX load and error detection without any problems.

For validation of my statement that motherboard can work under BIOS 1402 in full configuration with both Nvme installed - here's screenshot and video of stress test.
    All values and voltages are as is after BIOS 1402 flashing, I didn't change anything.

Video: https://disk.yandex.com/i/tczkLTaCEJNGcw

Name:	1402.png 
Size:	341.1 KB 
ID:	93725
    Last edited by Rocket Scientist; 06-30-2022 at 04:31 PM.

Moderator Array

Hi Rocket Scientist,
    I'll forward the information and consult our tech team as well.
    Thank you.

Moderator Array

Hi Rocket Scientist,
    Our tech team has tested a motherboard on bios 1301 and bios 1402 again. There is no obvious difference between them.
    For your issue, since qcode99 occurred after POST, it was probably stuck at the device.
    However, you have tried other drive and DIMM.2 slot but the issue was still there, please send your motherboard, CPU and drive to our RMA for further examination.
    If it is difficult to send CPU and drive as well, please send the motherboard first.
    Thank you.

Name:	1301-1.png 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	93808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1402-1.png 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	93809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1301-2.png 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	93810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1402-2.png 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	93811

Today I figured out that SATA SSD have same qcode 99 error. I've uninstalled all Nvme SSD's and installed one SATA SSD. I did new Windows 10 install on this SATA SSD under BIOS 1402 but after all system is hanged with qcode 99 after few times I entered the BIOS. So, this is not Nvme disk or RAM problem (since I've tested other RAM kit). I'm not seeing how CPU could be a problem here either if it works with BIOS 1301 or below and Z590 Aorus Master motherboard without boot problems.
    I'm gonna RMA motherboard via local seller.

New ROGer Array

Hello I have been following this thread ever since I had the same issue.

I will keep it simple, here's my first message to Rocket Scientist in his other thread (essentially same)

First I bought the ASUS Maximus Apex XIII board which didn't have any board paint chipping was finally happy as many had poor QC that out of box. I built my entire machine - i9 10900K, Trident Z 4000C16 B-Die 32GB 16GBx2 kit, Seasonic 1000W, Nvidia RTX3090 FE, Liquid Freezer II 360, Fractal. Started up with Q-code 99, there's no debug led issues on CPU, VGA... it just hangs on yellow green light failing to POST. I also had an ASUS DVD ODD using stock cable, plugged in my Samsung 870 Evo with stock sata cable. Used DIMM.2 slot with 2xSamsung 980 PROs, used PS/2 mouse and KB.

Removed ODD, Removed SATA, Removed DIMM.2, Replaced RAM with 1 Stick, replaced the whole kit with another brand new same kit, Removed GPU, Replaced PS/2 KB and Mouse with USB ones which work on my work machine. Same issue, I flashed BIOS 1202 using BIOS Flashback took a while because probably it was 64GB USB 3.0 drive (Samsung), the Flashback light stopped meaning Flash was successful, tried BIOS slot 2 and 1 both, no dice. It was always failing with 99. CMOS Reset also tried. I cannot even see AMI BIOS splash because it simply fails to POST.

I was really heartbroken because this project was in works since a couple of years as I had to learn a lot and APEX 13 was top board as it had all features I needed like V_Latch, easily operate NVMe x2 without cutting lanes, 8X SATA, Windows 7 compat but really sad. Did an RMA, it was in last 7 days of return. The CPU was tested in Maximus 13 Hero without issues for SP rating. And mine is even top bin of 10900K there should be no voltage issues because it's rating is more than SP95.

Thanks not sure if it helps ASUS team, thought to share my experience because it's same QCode 99.

Moderator Array

Hi Ashtr1x_86,
    It seems your issue is different from Rocket Scientist's, although it's same QCode 99.
    If you still get the QCode 99 with only CPU, CPU radiator fan and a single DRAM installed, and you have followed the instructions in the link below, please send your motherboard to our local service center for further examination.
    https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042678/
    Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2