cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z590 Maximus 13 Apex no boot with latest BIOS (code 99)

Rocket_Scientis
Level 8
Hi.
Recently I've updated motherboard bios from 1301 to 1402 and motherboard not boot. Post code shows 99 with green led and Asus ROG logo on monitor screen. Also I can't enter the bios, keyboard is not reacting and it looks like a system hang. I had 2 or 3 successful boots, it took a while. I just waited and motherboard started to boot into Windows after 2-3 minutes. I've tried to load optimised defaults but no difference. Even CMOS reset is not helps. Some users mentioned that code 99 on Asus boards might be keyboard or mouse related but after unplugging it's still a code 99.
If I use bios flashback and flash bios 1301 then seems like everything is fine (I believe, I got this particular board only 2 days ago). Factory bios 0506 from 2nd bios ROM boots fine too.
Any advice?

System specs are:

i7-11700K
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Z590 Maximus XIII Apex
Kingston KF436C16RB1K2/32
Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super Gaming OC
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2
Samsung 980 PRO 500GB (Windows)
Goodram IR-SSDPR-P34B-01T-80 1TB
Windows 10
LG 27GL650F
19 REPLIES 19

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Rocket Scientist,
Have you tested with minimal components on bios 1402 to see if can enter bios?
a. Keep the CPU, CPU radiator fan and a single DRAM installed on the motherboard
b. Remove all the USB devices and external cards from the motherboard, including the mouse, keyboard, USB flash disk, SSD, external PCI-E Cards, etc.
c. Remove all the cables connected to the Motherboard ,including LAN cables, audio cables. Only leave one monitor connected to verify the display.
d. Then try to re-boot the computer. If it can power on normally, the problem may be from the removed external devices. Re-connect the external device one by one until you find which external device or cable causes the problem.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Rocket Scientist,
Have you tested with minimal components on bios 1402 to see if can enter bios?
a. Keep the CPU, CPU radiator fan and a single DRAM installed on the motherboard
b. Remove all the USB devices and external cards from the motherboard, including the mouse, keyboard, USB flash disk, SSD, external PCI-E Cards, etc.
c. Remove all the cables connected to the Motherboard ,including LAN cables, audio cables. Only leave one monitor connected to verify the display.
d. Then try to re-boot the computer. If it can power on normally, the problem may be from the removed external devices. Re-connect the external device one by one until you find which external device or cable causes the problem.
Thank you.

Hello. Seems like bios 1402 doesn't like my Nvme Goodram IR-SSDPR-P34B-01T-80 installed into DIMM.2 slot.
Motherboard can boot without this Nvme installed into DIMM.2. It also can boot into Windows if I install this Nvme into DIMM.2 but system freezes with code 99 as soon as I try to enter the bios. I'm not sure if bios 1402 don't like this particular Nvme or any Nvme installed into DIMM.2 since i tested it only with this Nvme + DIMM.2 combo.
And from this moment there is 2 scenarios:
1. Motherboard remains in code 99 state untill I turn of my PC and uninstall DIMM.2 module with this Nvme. Or reset CMOS (this step not always helps). Safe boot button on the motherboard PCB not helps at all by the way in this case.
2. After several attempts and manual PC restarts motherboard pass this code 99 state and boots into Windows and I can restart or turn off my PC normally.

But if I try to enter the bios - system will freeze in code 99 state again. Or it will allow me to enter the bios and change desired settings or load optimized default settings but system will freeze in code 99 state after I save the bios settings and reboot my PC.

This is never happened in bios 1301 or 0506 (factory bios, stored in 2nd bios ROM).

Rocket_Scientis
Level 8
Update.
I tested both sides\slots of DIMM.2 module with this Nvme SSD and both sides are not work as intended on bios 1402.
Also i did the same test on two previous bios versions 1202 and 1301. Both bios seems works fine with this SSD no matter which Nvme slot I use.
It works on previous bios version so I don't think this is a DIMM.2 module or slot malfunction. More like something wrong with the 1402 bios. I can't even complete bios flashing when I upgrade to 1402 if this Nvme installed in DIMM.2 module.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Rocket Scientist,
Do you have other Nvme to try it installed into DIMM.2? If no, have you tried formatting the Nvme?(please backup your file before format.)
May I know more detail about "can't even complete bios flashing when I upgrade to 1402 if this Nvme installed in DIMM.2 module"? Does it also show code 99 when you flash bios 1402 again with bios flashback or ezflash?
May I have the serial number of the motherboard via pm?
Thank you.

Rocket_Scientis
Level 8
I installed my main Samsung 980 Pro Nvme into DIMM.2_2 and removed Goodram Nvme from system. It is still code 99 with only Samsung Nvme installed. So this is not a Goodram Nvme fault. + both Nvme works fine under bios 1301 and below.

I tried to update from bios 1301 to bios 1402 via EZ Flash from bios (actually doesn't matter if I use EZ flash or bios flashback, result will be same).
With only Samsung disk installed in DIMM.2 slot I flashed the bios, bios flash completed, PC restarts and I see A2 code , ROG logo on my monitor screen and nothing happens.

I waited for several minutes and restarted PC manually. After restart code is 99. Also ROG logo on my monitor screen. I tried to reset CMOS 3 times but no luck. It is still code 99.

From here I can do 3 things:
1. While bios version is 1402, I can uninstall DIMM.2 module and boot into bios or Windows without any problems from disk installed in M.2_1 slot (first Nvme slot of the motherboard, right under CPU socket). If I install DIMM.2 (with Nvme) module back = after 1-2 system restart it will stuck with code 99 again or if I'll try enter the bios.
2. I can use USB pen drive with bios 1301 (or below) on it and flash this bios using bios flashback function. Both Nvme disks will work fine in any combination after bios 1301 flash.
3. I can turn off my PC and switch bios to reserve bios 0506 from 2nd bios ROM (using key on the motherboard PCB) and boot into bios or Windows without problems with any combination for both Nvme.

Here's is video for reference how it looks like when 1 of my 2 Nvme is installed into DIMM.2 module (it is Goodram on this particular video demonstation) if bios is 1402.
Video link: https://disk.yandex.com/d/tDHi9K7zfXP40A

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Rocket Scientist,
Thank you for your information.
I'll consult our tech team more about it.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Rocket Scientist,
Thank you for your information.
I'll consult our tech team more about it.

Ok. I have an update.
Today I discovered that it is possible to hang system under BIOS 1402 even without DIMM.2 module installed.
First of all I want to remind you one more time that I can't reproduce this problem under BIOS 1301 because it works fine.

Now, what I did.
I updated BIOS one more time to 1402 version. System didn't boot with DIMM.2 module (with Nvme in it) installed. I removed DIMM.2 module and system booted.
I did few PC restarts and looks like everything is fine but If I press Delete key on my keyboard to enter the BIOS system will hang with code 99. I have to press Delete key very fast, like 2-3 key presses per second from moment motherboard post codes start running. Once I get code 99 = it will stay in code 99 every next PC restart.
Next I removed 1 stick of RAM and system booted and I didn't succeed to hang system in code 99 state with 1 stick of RAM. That Delete key mashing trick didn't work anymore and each time system enters the BIOS.
So.
BIOS 1402:
2 sticks of RAM + Nvme in DIMM.2 module = code 99.
2 sticks of RAM + No DIMM.2 module = It can boot Windows but will code 99 if I'm trying to enter the BIOS by pressing Delete key very fast and remains in that state every next restart.
1 stick of RAM + Nvme in DIMM.2 module = code 99.
1 stick of RAM + No DIMM.2 module = System boot and BIOS access without issues (I believe, but not absolutelly 100% sure).

BIOS 1301:
Everything above but without any issues.

Rocket_Scientis
Level 8
Could you please ask ASUS tech team one more thing?
Each time I switch between BIOS ROMs (using BIOS switch key on motherboard PCB) I see this message on my screen:

Bios is updating.
Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure.

I know this is how it should be after BIOS update. But this is happening each time I switch between BIOS ROMs. Even if I didn't update BIOS. Could you clarify this moment too, please?
As far as I remember this shouldn't happen during BIOS switching or I'm wrong?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Rocket Scientist,
I'll forward your update to our tech team and also ask more about the bios update message.
Thank you.