Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thor P 1200 24 pin connector won't click into Maximus Z690 Extreme MB

joebiwankanobi
Level 7
Hi all,

First time builder here, having a great time and ended up going entirely ROG 🙂

Strangest small issue is that the connector that came with the Thor PSU does fit into the slot on the MB, but won't click in. The clip on top is just slightly miss-aligned with the clip hold on the MB, but not enough to cause the issue (just odd to me and I thought this might indicate incompatibility).

I have reached out to ROG support to no avail.
I have purchased a second PSU to make sure it's not an incorrect cable or the like, but the cable is exactly the same and I experience the same issue.
The MB pins all look straight and aligned.

Should I just return the motherboard?
I do have cablemod cables coming in a week, I could try them and see.

Thoughts appreciated.

https://rog.asus.com/us/power-supply-units/rog-thor/rog-thor-1200p-model/
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z690-extreme-model/
5 REPLIES 5

ahfoo
Level 13
If you fully insert tight and your system able to boot. I dont see the issue. I dont think the mobo issue, and it appear to be more the PSU 24 pins connector.

xeromist
That connector is not fully inserted. It can sometimes take a little bit more force than you might expect. If it really is jammed or bottoming out then check the connectors for obstructions, and as a last resort exchange the board. However I really do think you just need to push harder. I've built a lot of systems and that 24-pin connector can be a pain to connect and remove.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
That connector is not fully inserted. It can sometimes take a little bit more force than you might expect. If it really is jammed or bottoming out then check the connectors for obstructions, and as a last resort exchange the board. However I really do think you just need to push harder. I've built a lot of systems and that 24-pin connector can be a pain to connect and remove.

Thanks for the response � you are correct, it won't fully insert.
I've connected some of the other 8 pin ones and they slide in and clip easily. This really does seem jammed. How much force should one use? I'm at the point where i'm already trying a good amount of force... having to hold the MB in place and using lets say, more force than a kid could or a weak adult 😂 don't know how to describe better than that. If I wiggle the connector in there and keep pushing, the left side seems to notch in a little more, but the right side no, or the right side notches in a little but the left side no.

Perhaps it is time to get the new MB...

joebiwankanobi wrote:
Thanks for the response � you are correct, it won't fully insert.
I've connected some of the other 8 pin ones and they slide in and clip easily. This really does seem jammed. How much force should one use? I'm at the point where i'm already trying a good amount of force... having to hold the MB in place and using lets say, more force than a kid could or a weak adult 😂 don't know how to describe better than that. If I wiggle the connector in there and keep pushing, the left side seems to notch in a little more, but the right side no, or the right side notches in a little but the left side no.

Perhaps it is time to get the new MB...

Just make sure the 24 pins PSU connector push in straight. Do not slide left or right anf all pins insert in the sametimes.

ahfoo wrote:
Just make sure the 24 pins PSU connector push in straight. Do not slide left or right anf all pins insert in the sametimes.

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense and gives me confidence that either the MB or cable is defective. I'll be doing a return.