cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG-STRIX-LC-RTX3090TI-O24G Rad Fans Question

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Anyone know if the fans on the radiator can be changed easily if you dont want the RGB on them and/or would like to upgrade the fans to, say, Noctua 120mm 3000 RPM industrials?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has done this successfully or anyone with specific tech knowledge about this.
18 REPLIES 18

Nate152
Hi Super Gnome,

I have this gpu but haven't got it out of the box yet.

Each fan should come off with four screws, the fan cables are likely connected to a fan splitter, you can use the same fan splitter cable for convenience.

Motherboard cpu and chassis fan headers support up to 1 amp, the H-amp header supports up to 3 amps. The noctua 120mm 3000 rpm industrial fans draw .30 amps maximum so you could use two of these fans with the ROG Strix 3090 Ti LC OC.

Noctua NF-F12 industrial PPC-3000 PWM

Nate152
I'll pull it out and have a look to be sure the fans are interchangeable.

So, after having a look the fans are interchangeable.

There are 4 connectors for 2 fans.

2 fan power connectors, one for each fan.

2 RGB connectors, one for each fan

I took a photo of the two connectors to one fan. You'd remove the screws, disconnect the cables, install the noctua fan and connect the power cable. Same with the second fan.

If you didn't want the RGB, you could use the same fans and disconnect the RGB cable. Or you may be able to disable the RGB in the bios or Armoury Crate.

There is no pwm cable to connect to a fan header, all three fans can be controlled with Armoury Crate, AI Suite 3 or GPU Tweak III.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Your reply is much appreciated. Regarding the headers: I just wonder if you can hook up the four pin headers no problem--the same way as you would those Noctua fans on a motherboard--via the fan headers. And I dont use any of that Asus software. It always stopped working or gave me headaches until I removed it all (Lol)! Hence, fan control would only be via the BIOS! Or rather via Tweak II which I like a lot!!

In my case I have already installed the card. I can't believe how fast gaming is now, omg. There seems to be no delay at all from moving my mouse to seeing my toon move (in Wow). Not sure if this has to do with the card itself or Direct X. I was previously using 11 so that SLI was doable.

Nate152
Yes, that would be the Fan Connect II headers. Like motherboards, each Fan Connect II header supports up to 1 amp.

I see you're using the noctua 140mm 3000rpm fans, each of these fans draw .55 amps, so you could only use one of these on each Fan Connect II header.

I'll use Armoury Crate for RGB control and GPU Tweak III for overclocking and fan control.

How well does your ROG Strix 3090 Ti LC OC overclock? In some reviews, I've seen it overclocked to 2200MHz on the core. You're noticing a speed increase because you're using the single fastest gaming gpu on the planet, in most instances the RTX 3090 Ti is faster than 2080 Ti SLI.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Thanks for the info. I plan to either swap out Noctua 120s for those two RGB fans or simply slap some fans on the front of the case to make a push/pull set up, but will have to see about that--and see what the results are if doing so. It certainly is an option.

Regarding overclocking, and this may sound silly but I dont overclock as I'm afraid I will cook my hardware. The way I do things is I just set the fan curves using Tweak II to crank up the fans to max at 65, so I can actually hear it--because I dont like high temps. I run 4k with the FPS capped at 60, the limit because that is all my monitor can do. With those settings I am getting great performance, incredible flow in game, and a very reactive gaming experience with zero lag--at worst, and this while seeing high temps on the card of 54 degrees C playing wow at 4k, video recording the game play, and with an ambient room temperature as high as 32 degrees.

If you are wondering why I bought the card it is because I have three rigs, and one had two 1070s in SLI in it--which were not really problematic but were drawing a lot of power to run 4k at 60 FPS and were running pretty hot. They can also probably still fetch a bit of coin if sold used vs a year from now when they will probably get nothing and may even die. Anyhow, I swapped out those cards for two 2080s from one of my newer systems, and then had one of my rigs without anything. I like to buy better cards now as they future proof your system and also give you a lot of performance in the first year or two. I also love blower cards because they pump the heat out of your case vs dumping it inside (which I loathe), and they seem to be getting harder and harder to get.

Nate152
It sounds like you are extremely happy with your ROG Strix 3090 Ti LC OC graphics card and it's running nice and cool, especially for the power it is capable of drawing. That makes me want to get mine installed, I hope to have a new pc up and running by the end of next week.

Since you're capping the FPS to 60 and getting a great experience, there is no need to overclock. If you were dipping below 60FPS this is where overclocking would help or if you like running benchmarks for maximum scores. You can't hurt your gpu overclocking it as Nvidia has the voltage and power limit capped although I hear talk it can draw a little over 500w when overclocking.

For the fans, just know you can use two 120mm fans or one 140mm fan on each Fan Connect II header.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Actually the power draw is lower than with two 1070s in SLI playing Wow at 4k 60 fps capped--and at pretty much middle settings. I'm not exactly sure of the average numbers but was seeing the two 1070s highest power draw for the two together was 350 watts and the max temp I saw was around 65 degrees. With the 3090 ti the highest I've seen is around 250 watts. And yesterday, after slapping a couple of Noctua fans on the outside to pull heat out of the radiator (out the front of the case just inside the mesh), and in a push pull configuration the highest temperature all day I saw yesterday was, get this THIRTY NINE POINT EIGHT DEGREES.

Also, I am very happy to see lower power draw numbers at idle--about 25 watts. In another of my rigs, which now sits in the closet collecting dust, I was seeing a power draw of 225 watts or something like that at idle with two 2080 ti cards in SLI. I have since reinstalled windows in that rig but have not used it much because I saw that crazy power draw, and when asking about the issue in a forum read that that is normal. I may have to look into that further and see if that problem still exists. The system is an AMD one with a 3950x and high end motherboard.

Hence, yes, I have to say, I am extremely happy with this card, the amazing responsiveness I'm seeing gaming, and the low temperatures.

Nate152
Wow, very nice !

54c down to 39.8c is a significant decrease in temperature, did you use the fan connect II headers?

Nate152 wrote:
Wow, very nice !

54c down to 39.8c is a significant decrease in temperature, did you use the fan connect II headers?

Naw, the motherboard has a fan extension card through which more fans can be controlled via the BIOS. I have three other fans pumping air into the case, 2 Noctua 140s--one at the back (CPU area as intake, not exhaust), the other at the front below the GPU rad, and one Noctua 120 in the case bottom, all 3000 RPM fans. Those are my only intake fans vs the exhaust as follows: Three fans on top that are part of the Ryujin 360, and these others that are part of the GPU rad.

Hence, I thought to just set the two new ones slapped on the GPU rad (with the others the RGB fans on the inside) to "silent mode" in the BIOS so that they dont pump too much air out. The case now has three exhaust on top (Ryujin), four fans as exhaust via the GPU rad at the front--(2 and 2 push/pull) and only three as intake, so I just thought to put those two to a lower speed to not make the case suck in a lot of dust. That is, I dont want too much of a negative pressure imbalance.

I could switch them to the fan connect II headers though. I dont like that my case fans really pump immediately after startup as they get those two RGB GPU fans turning passively as well as a result of the new added fans spinning--not sure if that could cause static to be pushed into the card via the RGB fans spinning passively as a result. The RGB fans do not turn at other times unless their own motors are moving them. The "silent" settings on the two fans I added do not move enough air to cause those RGB fans to move passively (except for a few seconds at start up when all of the fans really roar--as mentioned above).

If you want I can take a photo and post it so you can see the setup. Do you think it would be better to swap them to the fan connect II headers?