cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Z690-F PCIe lane sharing

Sirleeofroy
Level 7
Hi guys,

There seems to be some conflicting information so looking to clarify if possible before I complete a build with a full loop this weekend.

I will be using the Z690-F with a 12900KF, RTX 3080 and x3 3rd gen M.2 drives.

With the GPU slot occupied, if I install my M.2 boot drive into the M.2 slot nearest the CPU will this reduce the GPU slot to x8 rather than x16?

I read that the CPU has 20 lanes so in theory I could run the GPU and the M.2 at full speed with no impact or reduced lanes but I can seem to get a straight answer as most posts say it will reduce the GPU to x8.

Can anyone straighten me out?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

ahfoo
Level 13
Sirleeofroy wrote:
Hi guys,

There seems to be some conflicting information so looking to clarify if possible before I complete a build with a full loop this weekend.

I will be using the Z690-F with a 12900KF, RTX 3080 and x3 3rd gen M.2 drives.

With the GPU slot occupied, if I install my M.2 boot drive into the M.2 slot nearest the CPU will this reduce the GPU slot to x8 rather than x16?

I read that the CPU has 20 lanes so in theory I could run the GPU and the M.2 at full speed with no impact or reduced lanes but I can seem to get a straight answer as most posts say it will reduce the GPU to x8.

Can anyone straighten me out?

Thanks

I dont think so in my opinion. It will not change the lane if your NVME sitting in M.2_1. That is what I am having it now in my system.

ahfoo wrote:
I dont think so in my opinion. It will not change the lane if your NVME sitting in M.2_1. That is what I am having it now in my system.

Hi ahfoo,

Thanks, that does sound promising. So just to confirm, you have and NVMe drive in M.2_1 and you are getting the full x16 link speed for the GPU?

Are you able to run GPU-Z just to confirm?

Thanks

ahfoo
Level 13
Ok, that what you need for. That is what my in law system.

ahfoo wrote:
Ok, that what you need for. That is what my in law system.

Perfect!

That shows the info I need, much appreciated. Just out of curiosity, what NVMe drive so you have in M.2_1?

ahfoo
Level 13
Samsung 980 Pro .

ahfoo wrote:
Samsung 980 Pro .

Cool, thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it 😮

Fear4u2envy
Level 7
Hey guys im having the same issue using the z690-F but i want to use 3 m.2 drives in total so if i have my graphics card on the (PCIEX16(G5) and my m.2 on M.2_1 then i should be ok but what if i want to add 2 more m.2 drives what would happen? would the graphics card drop to 8x? and if not where would be best to install the other 2 m.2 drives?
Thank You
S. Pow

hey running a 690-a fully loaded, 4x nvme, gfx & sound cards and it's still 16x 4.0. Not 100% but I think it's M2_4 that shares bandwidth with pci_3 (bottom full size slot).

NickA wrote:
hey running a 690-a fully loaded, 4x nvme, gfx & sound cards and it's still 16x 4.0. Not 100% but I think it's M2_4 that shares bandwidth with pci_3 (bottom full size slot).

so if i use the m.2_1, m.2_2 and m.2_3 i should be ok?
Thank You
S. Pow