cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Dark Hero startup issue

johnkickassgear
Level 7
I have a new build with the Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero motherboard that is about 9 months old now and it has the startup problem that others have mentioned. So far it is not serious, but it may be getting worse. For the first 5 or 6 months it did not happen, then I started getting very intermittent failure to start when the computer is turned on. This only happens in the morning when the computer has been off for hours. If I press the power button, nothing happens. The only way to boot the computer is to turn off the power supply, and then turn it back on. Has a fix been found for this yet? Will it be fixable with a BIOS update? It has happened about 5 times in the last 3 months. I have had many computers over the last 30+ years, and this is the first time I have encountered this issue.
6 REPLIES 6

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi johnkickassgear,
Please help to check your pm.
Thank you.

The power supply is a 1200K platinum from Corsair, and it gives continuous readouts. Power is OK, it is just a glitch with the motherboard, which needs to be reset by doing a power off. I have read that others see this with the same MB. Just wondering if this can be fixed with a BIOS update.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi johnkickassgear,
Have you tried another PSU but the startup issue still occurs? or you don't have another PSU to try?
Could you please help to reply my pm for other information?
Thank you.

I have built all my own computers, as well as ran a small computer build company for 4 years. I've been doing it since the mid 90s. I have a good power supply tester here, and it checks out perfectly every time. I also have Corsair voltage monitoring on the system, and can look at all voltages any time. They are all rock solid. I don't know if it is because of power dips occurring overnight (the system is on a very good UPS), or whatever, but this only happens when I go to turn the system on in the morning, and it has only happened about 5 times in the last 10 months. On this setup, the power button makes a faint beep when you press it, and that way you know it is responding. When the glitch happens, there is no faint beep. All I have to do it to power down for a few seconds, and power it back on. That seems like an issue with the MB responding to the power switch. Otherwise the system works great.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi johnkickassgear,
Please send your motherboard to our RMA and describe your issue and the frequency of occurrence in detail for further examination.
Thank you.

Thanks very much for the reply. If the problem continues or gets worse, I will consider getting an RMA. But at this point, I would rather not be without a computer for that long. It is a lot of work to disassemble the system, which has liquid cooling, so I will wait and see how it goes. As I mentioned, I was mainly interested in whether this might be fixable by a future BIOS update, or if this is something that can't be addressed via the BIOS.