cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Impact - RAM Crash in Windows

Outbreaker
Level 8
Hi,

I'm having a very frustrating problem with this mainboard. I tied 3 different 3200Mhz RAM sticks and even gone true a mainboard replacement and I also have tested it with an AMD 3900XT CPU and AMD 5900X CPU.
But no matter what I do, as soon as I enable the XMP profile on this mainboard or set the RAM above 2600Mhz then my Windows starts crashing.

When I set the SOC Voltage manually from auto (1.000) to around 0.8500-1.0250 then everything runs stable with 3200Mhz. :rolleyes:

So what's is going on with this SOC Voltage setting in this mainboard? is it bugged?
I don't want to be forced to set this manual. Because if I sell my PC and the new owner updates the BIOS then he will never find out why his Windows starts crashing. And this also doesn't give me much trust in this mainboard. 😞
18 REPLIES 18

Grimpak
Level 8
Outbreaker wrote:
Hi,

I'm having a very frustrating problem with this mainboard. I tied 3 different 3200Mhz RAM sticks and even gone true a mainboard replacement and I also have tested it with an AMD 3900XT CPU and AMD 5900X CPU.
But no matter what I do, as soon as I enable the XMP profile on this mainboard or set the RAM above 2600Mhz then my Windows starts crashing.

When I set the SOC Voltage manually from auto (1.000) to around 0.8500-1.0250 then everything runs stable with 3200Mhz. :rolleyes:

So what's is going on with this SOC Voltage setting in this mainboard? is it bugged?
I don't want to be forced to set this manual. Because if I sell my PC and the new owner updates the BIOS then he will never find out why his Windows starts crashing. And this also doesn't give me much trust in this mainboard. 😞
Have one too, and I'm running a 5800x3d with a pair of kingston fury sticks at 3600mhz.

Have you updated the bios up to the latest version? also it might just be that the board is overvolting the SOC a bit more than it should on auto (it does not stick to 1.00v. in my case it floats around 1.1v and 1.095). SOC can get a bit too unstable if too much voltage is applied.

Yes i have the latest BIOS version and have also tried different BIOS versions. But all have the same problem.
I also have the feeling that this SOC Voltage display is totally wrong and that it is 0.1000-0.1500 higher than what it shows. :rolleyes:

My first RAM kits where also 3600MHz RAM's (Corsair Vengeance LPX). They run fine for 7 months but then I got also a few crashes with those RAM's when I ran low load tasks overnight. Looks like the mainboard was slowly killed those RAM's. After that I bought only 3200MHz RAM Kits because they are the default MHz for AMD and Intel. But all of them are crashing in around 10 seconds after Windows booted when setting them between 2800MHz-32000MHz. Replacing the mainboard and CPU and even the PSU didn't change anything.

Outbreaker wrote:
Yes i have the latest BIOS version and have also tried different BIOS versions. But all have the same problem.
I also have the feeling that this SOC Voltage display is totally wrong and that it is 0.1000-0.1500 higher than what it shows. :rolleyes:

My first RAM kits where also 3600MHz RAM's (Corsair Vengeance LPX). They run fine for 7 months but then I got also a few crashes with those RAM's when I ran low load tasks overnight. Looks like the mainboard was slowly killed those RAM's. After that I bought only 3200MHz RAM Kits because they are the default MHz for AMD and Intel. But all of them are crashing in around 10 seconds after Windows booted when setting them between 2800MHz-32000MHz. Replacing the mainboard and CPU and even the PSU didn't change anything.

maybe play a bit around with the digi+ settings? also check ryzen dram calculator to see if you can pump out other settings?

Grimpak wrote:
maybe play a bit around with the digi+ settings? also check ryzen dram calculator to see if you can pump out other settings?

You have to read my first post too. Everything should run with the XMP profile settings without the need to change the SOC voltage. Like it always worked with every single other mainboard I had before.

hi men i have the problem too i update the bios and after this i get blue screen of death of memory problem i run check to the memory and dont see any problem i think is the bios problem but i dont know what to do ...

Or shelly wrote:
hi men i have the problem too i update the bios and after this i get blue screen of death of memory problem i run check to the memory and dont see any problem i think is the bios problem but i dont know what to do ...

Did you set BIOS to optimised default setting before and after BIOS update?

Or shelly wrote:
hi men i have the problem too i update the bios and after this i get blue screen of death of memory problem i run check to the memory and don't see any problem i think is the bios problem but i don't know what to do ...

Try to set the SOC Voltage in the BIOS between 0.9200-0.9600, this has fixed my problem on all three 3200MHz 1.2v RAM kits.

I'm in contact with Asus support, and i hope they now finally test this themselves instead of thinking it's an error by the costumer.

We can find the same problem posted back in 2021 with this Mainboard.
https://www.overclock.net/threads/gskill-3200c14-issues-with-amd-5950x-and-rog-crosshair-viii-impact...

EDIT:

I returned this mainboard again and bought now an "ASUS ROG Strix B550-I" and now everything is working. Looks like Asus doesn't care about fixing hardware bugged products.

This, this 0,925v on SoC Voltage helped me mate. Thank You! You saved me another 500e in time and 200 - 400e [200e is Impact currently and 170e is B550 I Aorus]. It works, I have one MemTest pass using 3600 MHz / 1800 MHz [fabric] behind me on GTZN 64GB kit [2 x 32GB 16-22-22-42].

Btw. why did You let go of Impact in the end? I mean, the SO-DiMM.2 slot is priceless for M.2 cooling, since all other iTX/DTX boards have it stuck on the rest of the chipset, which drives NVMe SSD's hotter than hell.

Thank You once more!20230723_194139.jpg
20230723_193621.jpg20230722_211454.jpg

It's worth noting given this keeps getting brought to the surface; that VSOC is non-linear in terms of stability. This means some CPUs may be more comfortable with less than what auto rules apply. It just means the CPU has a relatively decent fabric.

There's always the potential for manual tuning when overclocking.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090