cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about x570 motherboard not booting due to faulty m2.

blitzcloud
Level 7
So the x570 strix motherboard died when I removed the m2 drive.

it made no sense but I checked the microsolder of the m2 and it's faulty. My guess is that the microsolder was already faulty, but not touching it since the first build made it stay "okay". When I raised a ticket within the 3 year warranty, they want me to pay to fix it (as it's supposedly not covered) and they don't know for sure it'll work.

before anyone mentions that it's unlikely that the cause of the motherboard not booting is this, that's literally the only thing I did. I removed the ssd m2 it to swap the unit. Then it never booted again

Since I don't have any proper tool to fix a microsolder, my best chance would be desoldering it instead. Would removing the m2 header potentially fix the issue? There's another m2 header so i feel it'd be worth a shot.

Here's a picture

https://i.imgur.com/Bznaiao.png

PS: the faint humidity you see is just a bit of isopropanol which helps visualize it better
2 REPLIES 2

xeromist
I can't really tell from your picture but if the solder is fractured I wouldn't put a drive in there. Is the solder actually missing? If you're just looking at a surface discoloration that doesn't mean the joint has failed.

As to whether a damaged trace would prevent post, I wouldn't think a M.2 trace would do that on its own. The circuit isn't completed without a drive inserted so it's like cutting a wire that isn't connected to anything. But if the damage creates a short that could certainly be an issue or if the drive malfunctioned that could have damaged something else. Before you go doing surgery on the motherboard I would highly recommend testing the components somehow. If you have older AM4 components or there is a PC shop that can help you diagnose I would do that first. If you find that the motherboard is just unusable then I guess it doesn't matter what you do to it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I can't really tell from your picture but if the solder is fractured I wouldn't put a drive in there. Is the solder actually missing? If you're just looking at a surface discoloration that doesn't mean the joint has failed.

As to whether a damaged trace would prevent post, I wouldn't think a M.2 trace would do that on its own. The circuit isn't completed without a drive inserted so it's like cutting a wire that isn't connected to anything. But if the damage creates a short that could certainly be an issue or if the drive malfunctioned that could have damaged something else. Before you go doing surgery on the motherboard I would highly recommend testing the components somehow. If you have older AM4 components or there is a PC shop that can help you diagnose I would do that first. If you find that the motherboard is just unusable then I guess it doesn't matter what you do to it.

You bring some fair points and i'd like to emphasize a bit.

If you check the picture, the brass like color is what appears under every soldered element everywhere in the board itself. It's the board connector element that is that color. You can see faint orange color below the rest of the solders, even on other elements.

My best bet is that the connector is somehow constantly shorting things (I'm not sure... maybe a sliver of solder that I'm not seeing) on the booting sequence of the motherboard, hence why it doesn't even display a proper error but 00 with a blinking orange light.

That's why, since asus can't assure me they can fix it (and provided I need to pay for the attempt while in warranty), I feel it's worth a shot to just desolder the header. Again, this was the only operation I did, a very mundane m2 removal after unscrewing the original heatsink that comes with the board.

I tried contacting some PC shops but they don't really want to touch anything solder related sadly.

And yes, it's been dead for some months now. I tried many things and none worked. It all circles back to the m2 solder looking iffy.

Thanks for your reply