cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX SCAR G533QR problems after Windows reinstall - displays, drivers?

Steamrunner-Str
Level 7
I started having issues with my Strix Scar a few months ago where it suddenly started lagging or stuttering, even in Windows - the mouse cursor was jerking from place to place, clicks weren't being registered, but task manager wasn't showing any CPU load and everything seemed up-to-date. I had installed Windows 11, so I put it down to Win11 being the problem and wiped the SSD, reinstalling Win10. Everything was fine for another couple of weeks, then the stuttering started again, even on 10. This time it got to the point where sometimes Windows wouldn't boot up, and even the repair options wouldn't work, so I had to wipe and reinstall 10 again...

This time (no stuttering so far) I'm having issues with things like the HDMI output (I use an external 4K monitor) no longer outputting 4K - apparently it's a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" now - and the laptop display isn't even detected. I've downloaded all the drivers listed on the Asus support page for the latpop, MyAsus says everything is uptodate, but Windows Update has a bunch of "pending download" items (I've followed all the start/stop services fixes but that hasn't helped) and if I unplug the HDMI cable, I'm left with a laptop with a very nice keyboard but no display.

Last time I resinstalled Windows 10, everything was fine up till it started stuttering again; any idea what's happened this time around? I've seen there's some sort of AMD issue but so far there doesn't seem to be a fix - and if that was the problem I've been having, wouldn't it be happening now?
1 REPLY 1

Cojokek
Level 8
Steamrunner-Strix wrote:
I started having issues with my Strix Scar a few months ago where it suddenly started lagging or stuttering, even in Windows - the mouse cursor was jerking from place to place, clicks weren't being registered, but task manager wasn't showing any CPU load and everything seemed up-to-date. I had installed Windows 11, so I put it down to Win11 being the problem and wiped the SSD, reinstalling Win10. Everything was fine for another couple of weeks, then the stuttering started again, even on 10. This time it got to the point where sometimes Windows wouldn't boot up, and even the repair options wouldn't work, so I had to wipe and reinstall 10 again...

This time (no stuttering so far) I'm having issues with things like the HDMI output (I use an external 4K monitor) no longer outputting 4K - apparently it's a "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" now - and the laptop display isn't even detected. I've downloaded all the drivers listed on the Asus support page for the latpop, MyAsus says everything is uptodate, but Windows Update has a bunch of "pending download" items (I've followed all the start/stop services fixes but that hasn't helped) and if I unplug the HDMI cable, I'm left with a laptop with a very nice keyboard but no display.

Last time I resinstalled Windows 10, everything was fine up till it started stuttering again; any idea what's happened this time around? I've seen there's some sort of AMD issue but so far there doesn't seem to be a fix - and if that was the problem I've been having, wouldn't it be happening now?

Try using LatencyMon, be sure you had a stutter and then tell us what LatencyMon is displaying. My guess is that it could be storport.sys, or it could be related to this https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-410