cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple screen and frozen?

imbloodyskintag
Level 8
Anyone had this happen on there g74sx before?

Has happened 4 times now including today, around twice a week since purchase. Just happened again 5min ago.

7 REPLIES 7

xeromist
Possibly the GPU is overheating and wigging out. When's the last time you cleaned the dust out of the vents?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Possibly the GPU is overheating and wigging out. When's the last time you cleaned the dust out of the vents?

Only had it just over 2 weeks xeromist. Also, according to Nvidia gpu program, temps sit around 28-33c and it only running at 51Mhz and 0.81Volts.

One thing I forgot to add before, is the fact that after every screen freeze/purple and after restart most of all of my saved log in details and passwords for websites disappear and show me as not logged in, when before freeze I was logged into all the sites??

imbloodyskintagain wrote:

One thing I forgot to add before, is the fact that after every screen freeze/purple and after restart most of all of my saved log in details and passwords for websites disappear and show me as not logged in, when before freeze I was logged into all the sites??

I also got the same issue with the saved log and passwords for websits disappear...... but that is because the screen goes black, and sometimes it doesn't recover from the black screen :S When it does it doesn't come any pop ups that if the nvidia cards has recovered or anything -.-
When it stays black I have to press the power off button so it can shut down.
I have a another rare (that has happend two times under 2 weeks) sympton, I'll see if I can find a pic of it since I can't describe it =/

The issue started with the latest approved driver from Asus at MarshallR's nVidia thread. Did clean install of the Beta 301.24, but didn't help.

I went back to 266.58 since that has been the most stable version for me (before) but now the screen blinks black in 0,01 sec (not all the time but sometimes) :S

EDIT: Like in this picture http://www.laptoprepair101.com/wp-images/reddish-screen.jpg has happend on my screen, but not in the boot up.... and instead of only red lines i get red, green and blue lines....
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

dstrakele
Level 14
If you are still in your retailer's exchange/return period, i recommend performing an ASUS Factory Restore, then attempt to reproduce the issue. If you can reproduce it, exchange the laptop for a new unit or take a refund.

If you don't want to do the troubleshooting, I again recommend an exchange or refund. You don't want to start out with a brand new system having that type of problem.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
If you are still in your retailer's exchange/return period, i recommend performing an ASUS Factory Restore, then attempt to reproduce the issue. If you can reproduce it, exchange the laptop for a new unit or take a refund.

If you don't want to do the troubleshooting, I again recommend an exchange or refund. You don't want to start out with a brand new system having that type of problem.

Agreed. If a fresh OS install still results in problems then it is a hardware issue and you should exchange/rma while you can.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

dstrakele wrote:

Its was a asus refurb which apparenty (waiting confirmation) came with a fresh 2 year warrenty?

So,
Not sure if the same applies??

imbloodyskintag
Level 8
Im running nvidia 295.10 driver.