cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AXE1600 axe1100 and RP-ax56 problems

wingdam
Level 7
I have an axe1600 as an AP with the AXE1100 as mesh node the 1100 is about 50 feet and two stucco walls away and connects at 6g great , but the ax56 nodes just won't connect I can find and set them up with the 1600 and then I get a powercycle the 56 and complete the setup later msg from the setup. When I plug it back in it barely connects to the 1600 from 2 feet and is useless 20 feet away, I've reset the 56's and redone setup but same thing. before I got th3 1600 all the nodes worked fine using the 1100 as an access point. I hate to think I just blew 700 on the 1600 anyone got any ideas?
22 REPLIES 22

jzchen
Level 14
Try a test. Resetup the AX11000 as router and the RP-AX56es as nodes. Then try adding the AXE16000 as a node. If everything works then there is definitely a bug in the firmware that ASUS needs to fix.

Just to clarify AXE16000 as router or AP?

wingdam
Level 7
I was originally using the axe1100 as an AP and the same ax56's connected and worked perfectly.

Right. I understood. I was just curious to see if you put it back that way, and then just add the 16000 as a node, does everything fall apart, or it works as such. If it works as a node instead of AP then ASUS seems to have a bug they need to fix, vs possible hardware issue.

I got some strange connections this morning....

There is a switch/are switches between the AXE16000 and the nodes, but they are wired like this, not node wired to node. All nodes are wired to a 2.5 G switch, which is wired to the AXE16000.

wingdam
Level 7
First i wrote to Asus support explaining the complete past and present setup and problem. I received a canned reply telling me to do everything that I explained I tried in my first post to them so that was a waste of time.

Here's the setup first config was axe 11000 as AP to fiber modem, ax56 in storeroom 50 ft and 2 stucco walls away, then next ax56 50 ft from first ax56 and connecting thru the first 56 all wireless except wired to fiber modem. Then I got the axe 16000 set as an AP, put the 11000 into mesh node mode and replaced the 56 in storeroom with it. connection between 16000 and 11000 was really fast and much stronger than the 56's. I then factory reset the56's and paired them with the 1600, when they successfully paired they wouldn't connect to the 1600 from 2 feet away and wouldn't connect thru the 11000 either, they connect, but show a very weak signal and drop on and off. This is for a small apt bldg I own and is for the security cameras and other sensors I need. It takes me about 2-3 hours to get to all the areas I have the stuff in and try new ideas, so I hate wasting time with useless suggestions. The 11000 connects perfectly and strong with the 16000 it's just the 56's that won't.

I'm starting to feel that I got a $700 wireless boat anchor.

wingdam
Level 7
Update-I saw that Asus released a new firmware for the 16000 (7/5) that was installed last night so I reset a 56 and set it up with the same problems.
Here's the great part when I set the 56 about 25 feet and one wall away I get a weak signal alert that shows -45 dbm and when I put the 56 about three feet away I get the same alert but -25 DBM in both cases they keep disconnecting and reconnecting with no stability.

-45 dBm is actually a decent signal. It's very new (the AXE16000) and is already on the 2nd firmware version. (ASUS cares about it's flagship product customers to update it quickly).

I'm afraid it is a little buggy at first but does settle down by next day. I would just make sure the AXE11000 can tolerate the temperature swings it may experience where you've placed it, and set up remote access so you can log into the AXE16000 remotely so you don't have to drive there to tinker with it (for now).

Keep the original SSIDs. Someone here kindly shared that if you do that all the IoTs (aka security cameras) will automatically be able to connect.

I am attaching a screenshot of NetSpot (Discover). I am about 10 ft from the AXE16000 with clear line of sight.

I forgot to mention I noticed -70s dBm and lower (more negative) signal strength is weak and may pose problems.

(I hope by now as it's the next day/morning it is operating okay)?

Also noticed one more thing. If you're checking the device list I found it not reliable for now, but I checked and the device still works. (In my case I have an old Brother HL-1470N that I just reconnected to the network upstairs with Ethernet wire to the AXE11000. Sometimes it is shown as connected to the AXE16000, etc. But when I send a test print it always works. So even if the ASUSWRT shows something amiss just check to see if you can access the cameras the normal way that you do....