cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX 2080 ti can't control center fan

Sprocketeer
Level 7
Aloha,

Alright so... I switched the card to quiet bios and sure enough when I boot up the pc the fans don't spin until the temp hits 55 degrees at which point the side fans follow the curve I set and the center fan just goes full speed no matter what curve I set for it. Then when the temp drops below 55 the side fans stop as they should but the center fan keeps going at full pelt until I reset the pc. When I start up in quiet mode and all fans are off I can set the center fan going manually with the fan speed slider but it again goes straight to full speed and then doesn't respond to the slider at all while the side fans respond to their slider exactly as they should.

I've tried setting a curve with GPU tweak, then unistalled that and tried with MSI and got the same result with both and I also reseated the card but to no avail. GPU tweak also shows the center fan speed as 0 rpm and 0% when it's going full blast. Any ideas please folks?
10 REPLIES 10

ahfoo
Level 13
Asus implemeted the quite bios according to their algorithm. It supposed to be set the fan speed to the lowest and on high when the GPU required. Check your temp of your GPU if the temp having any ill effect.

Quiet bios isn't an algorithm or a fixed, unchangeable curve it just removes the min fan speed so it stops the fans running when the GPU temp is below 55 degrees. My issue isn't with quiet bios though, my issue is not being able to control the center fan speed beyond it being 0 when the system boots with quiet bios on (In performance bios it just runs at full speed all the time from boot up) and then once it does start when triggered by the temp it ramps up to full speed straight away. It won't stop until I reboot the system again and won't respond to fan control software.

ahfoo
Level 13
The middle fan supposed to work according to temp. For me my centre fan will only working while it need it. I tested it while I am performing some benchmark with open case and I can touch and feel how the middle fan working.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Sprocketeer,
Is the model name ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING?
Does the issue occur with NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready Drivers V512.15?
Do you use GPU riser?
If you install Afterburner at the same time, please reinstall it and only install GPU TweakII V2.3.9.0 or GPU TweakIII V1.5.0.0 to check it again.
Thank you.

Hi Starrain,

The model name is Asus ROG-Strix-RTX2080TI-A11G-Gaming, I have the latest NVIDIA drivers V516.59 and I don't use a riser. I have tried uninstalling MSI afterburner and only having GPU tweak V1.5.1.3 installed (and vice versa).

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Sprocketeer,
Could you please check it with NVIDIA Drivers V512.15 and GPU TweakII V2.3.9.0 or GPU TweakIII V1.5.0.0 from our support site?
https://rog.asus.com/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-rtx2080ti-a11g-gaming-model/h...
Thank you.

I just rolled back to those versions, tested it and it didn't change the behaviour of the center fan in any way.

Sprocketeer wrote:
I just rolled back to those versions, tested it and it didn't change the behaviour of the center fan in any way.

As far I can understanding the Nvidia RTX design, there is no way you can adjust the centre fan in a way. Please correct me if I was wromg. That is why none of the software such as Afterburner and even the monitoring software only report 1st and 3rd fan.

All I really want from it is to turn off when the temp drops below 55 degrees when in quiet mode, I don't care about controlling the speed beyond that. If the temp is over 55 I'm gaming and won't hear it anyway but when I stop playing I want everything to be quiet again.