cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zephyrus S17 New Laptop Video Playback Issue

Luiz7s
Level 7
Looking for some help if possible.

Purchased the following laptop in March but had it stored away till last month as was a present... Asus ROG Zephyrus S17 Gaming Laptop - 17.3in FHD

Laptop itself is fine but i'm getting playback issues on video sites, such as YouTube, Twitch & Newspaper websites. Mainly any website that has a video on it.

Video playback from a file mp4 or mkv ect all play fine.

Doesn't happen all the time but happening a bit more here and there.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lYpwTqYeq6b--zuuZfewTpowwS4-6njK/view

I've uploaded a video i recorded (above) for anyone to see what i mean.

Any help would be appreciated.
When I've got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along.​
8 REPLIES 8

azwxguy
Level 7
I imagine you have checked for and installed all the various system updates. Are you using Win 10 or 11? What is your wifi download speed? I have not watched the video. I also have the S17 and am very (extremely) pleased with its performance.
N71JQ-A1, G752VM-RB71, GX703HR-XB96

azwxguy wrote:
I imagine you have checked for and installed all the various system updates. Are you using Win 10 or 11? What is your wifi download speed? I have not watched the video. I also have the S17 and am very (extremely) pleased with its performance.

Everything is fully up to date, using Win 11 and i'm on 500mb internet provider.
When I've got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along.​

azwxguy
Level 7
Watched the video. Still not sure what I'm seeing. Sometimes there are difficulties recording video from a computer monitor due to differing frame rates. If what you recorded plays exactly like what you are seeing, it might be something called screen tearing. This results from a loss of sync between the monitor refresh rate and the GPU refresh rate. Search for that term on the internet and try some of the suggestions. There is a diagnostic in the MyASUS app which might find something. Or maybe your GPU just needs a driver update.

I have a dual-boot setup, Windows for gaming and Linux Mint for work and unfortunately the Linux part is working terribly.

When closing the lid the keyboard doesn't react anymore, requiring forced reboot, sometimes fans turn of in standby creating overheating, battery life is absolutely horrendous and so on.

The hardware is amazing, but these issues are ruining the usability. Has anyone found solutions to these issues?

azwxguy wrote:
Watched the video. Still not sure what I'm seeing. Sometimes there are difficulties recording video from a computer monitor due to differing frame rates. If what you recorded plays exactly like what you are seeing, it might be something called screen tearing. This results from a loss of sync between the monitor refresh rate and the GPU refresh rate. Search for that term on the internet and try some of the suggestions. There is a diagnostic in the MyASUS app which might find something. Or maybe your GPU just needs a driver update.

Thanks for the reply, the recording is fine that's what the actual website is displaying when i'm recording.

Another example if a video is playing i.e YouTube the video plays sideways like a slideshow.

azwxguy
Level 7
Those are some interesting symptoms you have there, and still nothing springs to my mind. I can't know what video playing like a slideshow would look like. It sounds like maybe a physical problem (i.e. MB connections) or maybe something to do with the way the graphics portion of this machine is configured. I don't entirely understand that myself. There is an Intel UHD graphics card, chip, included with the i9 processor or some such, and a separate NVIDIA RTX 3070 card. I think the NVIDIA card kicks in when a graphics-intensive request is made, like a game. Not sure if I would go poking around inside this machine or not. Maybe contact ASUS and work out an RMA? Still under warranty right?

azwxguy
Level 7
Something else you might try. Download a free benchmarking app such as Furmark and run it to stress the system. It won't necessarily tell you where the problem is, but if there is a problem it will certainly uncover it.

xeromist
That's not tearing. There are parts of the screen higher up out of frame being flashed in the middle of the screen.

@Luiz7s you could connect an external monitor or TV just for curiosity's sake but it appears to be a hardware fault. See if your retailer will still let you exchange it, otherwise RMA with ASUS.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…