cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix Z690-E problems with NVME.

samboy87
Level 9
Sup Fellow Rog'ers!

Just got my setup 2 weeks ago and almost everything with this build runs smooth! just 1 thing.
I can't setup my Samsung 980Pro 1TB as a physical disc , it creates a virtual disc of it (Microsoft Storage Devices).

My setup -

-Intel 12900K
-Asus Strix Z690-E Gaming Wifi (Bios 1505)
-Geforce RTX 3080 TI FE
-G-Skill DDR5 6000mhz (Running XMP I )
- 2x Samsung 850 250gb SSD through SATA (Last SATA ports on the motherboard)
-Samsung 980 512gb (Windows 11) installed on it. placed in M2.3 and runs fine with 4x in NVME 1.4
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB installed in M2.2 and runs as Microsoft Storage Device at NVME 1.3 , Bios sees it and Disc Manager aswell but only if i create it Virtually through Microsoft Storage Device.

P.S VMD is Disabled in BIOS , tried with Enabled but still the same.

Any clue what it could be? and how i can solve it?

I also think Boot time is slow aswell for a Monster PC like this. 21sec! don't know if that's normal but my Old X99 is booting up much faster.

here you can see the differents between the 980 and the Pro.

4 REPLIES 4

Simsum
Level 7
I have two samsung 980 pro, initialized over disk manager, stock bios settings on the nvme or storage side.

I think the boot time depends on your energy settings, there is also an bios option for "Fast boot" and "Post delay time" that affects your boot time.
If i do a cold boot, it takes 40 seconds from pressing the button to login screen.
If i boot from stand by, it takes 11 seconds to login screen.
Bios 1304

Simsum wrote:
I have two samsung 980 pro, initialized over disk manager, stock bios settings on the nvme or storage side.

I think the boot time depends on your energy settings, there is also an bios option for "Fast boot" and "Post delay time" that affects your boot time.
If i do a cold boot, it takes 40 seconds from pressing the button to login screen.
If i boot from stand by, it takes 11 seconds to login screen.
Bios 1304

The problem is i can't initialize over disk manager because it doesn't detect my 980 pro as a physical NVME.
If i don't create it through Windows Storage space devices i doesn't show my 980 Pro. if i delete the Windows Storage device it won't detect it , only in bios and not in Windows.

If the 980 is somehow attached to storage spaces, it will not show up in the disk manager.
Make sure the 980 is completely out of storage spaces, maybe that's the problem.
Don't forget to restart PC after removing from storage spaces.

Simsum wrote:
If the 980 is somehow attached to storage spaces, it will not show up in the disk manager.
Make sure the 980 is completely out of storage spaces, maybe that's the problem.
Don't forget to restart PC after removing from storage spaces.

It helped! thx bro! ❤️ Restart is what i forgot 🙂