cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which M2 Slot on Maximus Z690 Apex?

PegasusRideR
Level 7
I just got a Maximus Z690 Apex. I've been googling for some hours and still not sure which M2 slot to use. There are 2 threads about this here but couldn't make sure as different people seem to have said different things. So Manual says M.2_1 connects to CPU and M.2_2 connects to chipset. My questions are:

1) Will using M.2_1 slot cut down PCI-E_1 slot from 16x to 8x? If not I guess this is the slot to use for best speed?
2) Will speed be lower on M2_2 as it connects to the Chipset? (I'll use one Samsung 980 Pro, Sound Blaster ZxR and 2 hard drives in total. Cpu is 12900K)
3) Which one would run cooler thinking that first is above and touching VRM heatsink, also next to CPU. Other is sharing the same heatsink with chipset(Heat is a big issue where I live)?

Note: From what I understood DIMM.2 is just for the extra additions so I'm thinking that's out?
7 REPLIES 7

ahfoo
Level 13
Just mount it on the M_2_ for your boot drive.

ahfoo wrote:
Just mount it on the M_2_ for your boot drive.

Umm you mean 1 or 2?

The CPU PCIe lanes on Z690 are (1x16 + 1x4) or (2x8 + 1x4), based on Intel's Z690 Chipset Brief. ASUS will almost certainly have the first M.2 on the CPU's 1x4. That's where you want your system drive to be, unless you have a really good reason not to.

PegasusRideR wrote:
Umm you mean 1 or 2?

Nearest to your CPU M_2_1

Braegnok
Level 14
PegasusRideR wrote:
I just got a Maximus Z690 Apex. I've been googling for some hours and still not sure which M2 slot to use. There are 2 threads about this here but couldn't make sure as different people seem to have said different things. So Manual says M.2_1 connects to CPU and M.2_2 connects to chipset. My questions are:

1) Will using M.2_1 slot cut down PCI-E_1 slot from 16x to 8x? If not I guess this is the slot to use for best speed?
2) Will speed be lower on M2_2 as it connects to the Chipset? (I'll use one Samsung 980 Pro, Sound Blaster ZxR and 2 hard drives in total. Cpu is 12900K)
3) Which one would run cooler thinking that first is above and touching VRM heatsink, also next to CPU. Other is sharing the same heatsink with chipset(Heat is a big issue where I live)?

Note: From what I understood DIMM.2 is just for the extra additions so I'm thinking that's out?

Hello PegasusRideR,

I'm using M.2_2 socket for my primary drive,.. and my GPU runs @ x16.

I needed to remove M.2_1 heatsink for clearance, due to active backplate on GPU.

Using M.2_2 socket the drive temps are fine.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Using DIMM.2 here as well as the M.2_1. Drive temps are all healthy under 45c.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Many thanks for the answers! I ended up installing on M.2_1 as chipset has the lanes for it and will be the fastest. Also weighted both heatsinks. M.2_1 heatsink is 150gr whereas M.2_2 heatsink is 162gr. Since first one is smaller and thicker with almost the same weight, I'm thinking it will do better cooling than second slot heatsink which is very wide and thin. I also made 2 small mods on board heatsinks. I will make a thread for the mod once I set up everything.