cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRIX Z390-E GAMING - Intel Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V, this device cannot start

wavedashdoc
Level 7
My LAN port has never worked since purchasing this motherboard in 2019. Network activity lights have never shown on the port itself and I have always had the error message: This device cannot start. (Code 10).

I have tried all available ROG drivers, many Intel provided drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, clean installed the drivers using DriveStoreExplorer, gone into the bios, disabled/enabled the LAN port, fully unplugged the PC, drained the power by pressing the power button for 30 seconds, and then plugged the power back in after 10 minutes, cleared the CMOS, disabled the WoL and power save features, booted Ubuntu off a live CD....nothing has proven successful to get the NIC to work. And after many hours of research this seems to be a common problem specifically with I219-V and with no solution or fix other than RMA. I have settled on using a gigabit USB 3 LAN adapter and moved on, but this NIC not working has always bugged me.

However, today I stumbled on this forum post (https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/intel-r-ethernet-connection-12-i219-v-this-device-cannot-...), and saw that MSI users, with the same and/or similar MoB are having the same issue, except an admin from MSI is providing a privately messaged solution. So I'm reaching out to see if, a.) anyone else has this issue with this MoB, or NIC, b.) and/or if a solution can be developed/found.

SPECS:
All Latest Drivers
ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING BIOS 2004
WINDOWS 10 HOME
4 REPLIES 4

cuke2u
Level 8
I have the Z390-F with the same network adapter and with all incarnations of win10 through to wiin11 I've had no issues. Why did you not return the motherboard as faulty in 2019?
Asus Strix Z390-F, Intel i9 9900k, 32gb Team Group Night Hawk RGB, Corsair ML120 Pro RGB Premium AIO, be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W, AMD Vega 56, Lian Li Alpha 500X RGB, Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe

ahfoo
Level 13
If you install the correct NIC driver or driver provided in this forums and it still not working (If the mobo NIC port LED working blinking). I am sure you need to to RMA your board.

ahfoo wrote:
If you install the correct NIC driver or driver provided in this forums and it still not working (If the mobo NIC port LED working blinking). I am sure you need to to RMA your board.

Through additional research I have found my NIC has lost it's original hardware MAC address and is showing as 00-00-00-00-00-00. This was only viewable at the Windows level using Technitium MAC Address Changer. Per another thread, https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101242-How-to-change-fix-and-flash-your-Mac-Address-Asus-M..., it looks like I can re-flash the original MAC address (that I found on the MoB). I have not attempted this as of yet.

Through reading additional forums, it looks like certain BIOS updates back in 2018/2019 overwrote the NIC MAC address with an invalid value.

I have the Z390 too, but without WIFI. Otherwise, put a WIFI USB key, this solves the problem.