cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable calcluator key on G74sx

G74sxpoo
Level 9
I accidentally hit it when playing games and it launches a retarded calculator and take the focus off the game.

How can I turn it off??
12 REPLIES 12

fostert
Level 12
insert and lock 3/8" bit, plug in drill and start pressing! Really, that key does nothing else anyways...at least I haven't been able to train it to do anything else in Linux.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

57degrees
Level 7
You need to return the machine to the seller and buy a different machine.

I haven't tried this myself, but if you want to give it a try, I'm curious whether it'll work (without getting someannoying pop-up instead of the calculator).

Go into the \system32 folder and rename calc.exe.

zsld0423
Level 9
I'm trying to work on some way to re-map or disable the calc key, nothing yet 😞 But I don't have work tomorrow so i'll be trying to find some way to get rid of the stupid thing lol
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

zsld0423 wrote:
I'm trying to work on some way to re-map or disable the calc key, nothing yet 😞 But I don't have work tomorrow so i'll be trying to find some way to get rid of the stupid thing lol

I've tried several times to remap it....I can't. I can't even get a scancode from it.....

So I'm thinking, if you just want to get rid of the darn calculator pop-up, killing the program it launches might be a solution.

BrodyBoy wrote:
I've tried several times to remap it....I can't. I can't even get a scancode from it.....

So I'm thinking, if you just want to get rid of the darn calculator pop-up, killing the program it launches might be a solution.

renaming the calc.exe in system32 doesn't stop it from opening 😞 I took ownership of it, changed the name, and threw something else in with the name calc.exe and it still opens the calculator. the calculator is bound to that key regardless of it not being accessible in system32
Sager NP9370
16GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate

zsld0423
Level 9
BrodyBoy, do you happen to know the key-code for the calculator key binding? like how Arrow Up is E0_48?

edit: nevermind my good news if you saw it... having issues with it now. I can successfully change between Numlock On or Off by pressing the "\" key, but now it keeps going back to NumLock ON state seconds after pressing "\" but it wasn't doing that a few minutes ago. guess there's more work to do...

edit again: Idk what to make of this, I did a quick removal of the registry edit and then added it back in, and it's working for now... but idk for how long haha

yet again: sent a PM to Chastity and MarshallR about the calculator/numlock issue, but i'm not real hopeful at the responses I'll get lol
Sager NP9370
16GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate

zsld0423 wrote:
BrodyBoy, do you happen to know the key-code for the calculator key binding? like how Arrow Up is E0_48?

No...that was what I was saying. I can't even get that out of it! It's like the damn thing has a direct line to the BIOS or something. I have some programs that can remap keys, and a couple that simply report what codes are sent by a keypress. In every one of them, I hit that key and get no feedback....just the calculator pop-up. It's really annoying.

edit: nevermind my good news if you saw it... having issues with it now. I can successfully change between Numlock On or Off by pressing the "\" key, but now it keeps going back to NumLock ON state seconds after pressing "\" but it wasn't doing that a few minutes ago. guess there's more work to do...

edit again: Idk what to make of this, I did a quick removal of the registry edit and then added it back in, and it's working for now... but idk for how long haha

Yeah, I've ben able to remap NUMLOCK to other keys, and get the numpad to operate as you'd expect if it were "normal." But I have never been able to disable the calculator key. No matter what I do, every single press will open its a new calculator. It's bad enough that they put the key there and made it (apparently) unmappable. But it's crazy that you can't even disable it.

yet again: sent a PM to Chastity and MarshallR about the calculator/numlock issue, but i'm not real hopeful at the responses I'll get lol

I wouldn;t expect any help. Chastity's not really around here anymore, sand Marshall is helpful where he can be. But keep in mind....the key works as designed. This is not actually an "issue," per se.....it's just a feature nobody likes.

zsld0423
Level 9
well great lol. when I went through the BIOS modding software, I didnt see anything regarding the calculator. But idk, maybe I didnt look hard enough. Guess I'll scan that again
Sager NP9370
16GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate