cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Z690 Hero won't post; stuck on Q-Code 00

krassyg
Level 7
The fans spin up briefly and that's it. No signal going to the monitor; Q-Code is stuck at 00. Q-LEDs are off. Unplugged everything from the motherboard except the power cables; same thing. Was able to do a BIOS flashback; no help. Any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8

RedSector73
Level 12
Any chance overtighten cooling solution (cpu heatsink), back it off 1/4 turn on the screws.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

As above,

Check motherboard stand off screws aren't over-torqued

Reseat CPU whilst checking for any bent pins, then remount cooler whilst ensuring even mounting pressure

If no joy, remove the motherboard from the chassis and retest
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Using Corsair 150i Pro RGB with the proper stand off screws. Did it anyway and reapplied thermal compound; no joy. So you guys think it is CPU related? I was using the same CPU and RAM with another motherboard( Asus Prime Z690-P) and it was working fine. Updated the BIOS and decided to try the XMP-2 settings on the mobo and the system died; reset bios, etc. nothing helped. Now I am getting the same problem with the new mobo; CPU KIA? i7-12700K.

krassyg wrote:
Using Corsair 150i Pro RGB with the proper stand off screws. Did it anyway and reapplied thermal compound; no joy. So you guys think it is CPU related? I was using the same CPU and RAM with another motherboard( Asus Prime Z690-P) and it was working fine. Updated the BIOS and decided to try the XMP-2 settings on the mobo and the system died; reset bios, etc. nothing helped. Now I am getting the same problem with the new mobo; CPU KIA? i7-12700K.

Given what you're saying above, it sounds like the CPU needs to be RMA'd, yes.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Given what you're saying above, it sounds like the CPU needs to be RMA'd, yes.

I would try running the motherboard, in the motherboard box, but I also agree code 00 is CPU DOA unless standoff screw on board causing issue or overtightening of the heatsink.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Two motherboards resulting in 00 sounds pretty conclusive to me. Trying the cpu in another motherboard may lead to further issues.

It definitely isn't the heatsink; it makes perfect contact with the cpu and I tightened the screws by hand very carefully. Started the RMA with Intel; will report back after I get the replacement. The crazy thing is that the system was working fine with XMP-1 profile; it stopped working when I tested XMP-2. I though XMP was supposed to prevent stuff like that.

ahfoo
Level 13
If you rule out the the CPU the fault of the problems. Removing all the ram you have and just insert a single memory ram module to kick start the system.