cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does G74SX take in air? Also Q's about temp.

swangger
Level 7
I'm always curious about this question, so where does G74 take in its air? If possible, a pic would be nice :]

Also, if you are a G74 owner, what is your usual idle temperature @ high performance mode (For CPU & GPU)? How high did the temperature go up when you are gaming?

My idle temp for CPU is usually around 37-45C, GPU is around 30-35C. Gaming temp CPU have gone up to 65 I believe, and GPU was 62C when I played DiRT 2 today. I did not overclock my GPU btw, and the game was run on high not ultra, around 40-50 fps.

I know laptop cooling pads don't have much use for G74 but I have one. I was wondering if it helped your G74 lower its temp, for me, not a noticeable difference was made.
2 REPLIES 2

StefanLundmark
Level 7
22C in the room here, currently idling at 46C. I've seen it dip down to 36C but that's when the room temp is lower.

Maximum I've seen it at (ME3 at max, Diablo III beta at high, or StarCraft 2 at High) is 63C for the CPU. I've got no idea about the GPU as I haven't checked though.

It doesn't help much, as the major air intakes are on the top side of the notebook. To be sure, a little air goes in the bottom (or does on my G53SX at least), but the vast bulk of it goes in under the gigantic speaker grille. Some of the space under the grill is devoted to the speakers, and the rest is the air intake. Great design, I think, it significantly reduces the dust collection problem. You shouldn't need a chill pad for the G53/G74, as ASUS put in a real cooling solution.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23