cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Z690-I Strix M.2 Bending

iQyThradz3137i
Level 8
I read someplace else about people having problems with the M.2 Bending on the z690-I linked below do i have to worry about this if i go m.2

https://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=93083&d=1652642356

Also using dual m.2 will i have temp problems i remember my friend having 2 m.2 on the Z590-i strix and his idle temps were 60c and getting close to 80c This was above the 3070 dual gpu and inside the Tu150 .

Im building in the A4-H2O
10 REPLIES 10

iQyThradz3137i
Level 8
Anyone able to provide insight on this issue?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Have you the enclosed rubber pads that ship with the motherboard meant for single sided M.2 devices?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Have you the enclosed rubber pads that ship with the motherboard meant for single sided M.2 devices?

I just ordered the board but i read other places about this issue.

From what i see there are no rubber pads for the Z690-I Strix ITX motherboard

iQyThradz3137i wrote:
I just ordered the board but i read other places about this issue.

From what i see there are no rubber pads for the Z690-I Strix ITX motherboard

No rubber pads for the back of the M2s came with my Z690-I MB. My solution was to not tighten down the top heatsink all the way, just make contact with the thermal pad and tighten another 1/2 turn on each screw so it doesn't bend. This only works if you are aren't using both M2_1 and M2_2 slots, as the bottom one always will bend as the middle heatsink/daughter board needs tightened down completely to make a proper connection. I wish Asus would come up with a solution to this; the stacked M2 design was half baked.

Dunkelstar wrote:
No rubber pads for the back of the M2s came with my Z690-I MB. My solution was to not tighten down the top heatsink all the way, just make contact with the thermal pad and tighten another 1/2 turn on each screw so it doesn't bend. This only works if you are aren't using both M2_1 and M2_2 slots, as the bottom one always will bend as the middle heatsink/daughter board needs tightened down completely to make a proper connection. I wish Asus would come up with a solution to this; the stacked M2 design was half baked.

These bends can cause temp problems and is the reason i am not going with a m.2

iQyThradz3137i wrote:
These bends can cause temp problems and is the reason i am not going with a m.2

Within the usage spec temp will not bend the NVME. Only wrong mounting will cause the bending.

ahfoo wrote:
Within the usage spec temp will not bend the NVME. Only wrong mounting will cause the bending.

Actually The reason for the bending is because some M.2 only have there chips on one side which is why Asus includes that rubber square. The Z690-I and Z690-I has had reported bending by many people on newegg and amazon mostly because of single sided components.

ahfoo wrote:

The Z690-I does not come with the blocks to support the other side, like other Z690 boards do apparently.

It's a MB design error with how the two M.2s on the Z690-I are stacked.

ahfoo
Level 13
Sorry to say that I never encounter any bend either single or double sided NVME which bend in my system.