Thread: Z690-E Fan help

New ROGer Array

Z690-E Fan help

Currently just finished the new build.
    My question is where I can connect some of the case fans.

1: Fan header 1 labeled "cpu_fan" can I have a solo case fan hooked to this? I dont have a cpu fan since I am using a AIO water cooler.

2: Fan header 2 labeled "cpu_opt" I have the A-RGB fan hub connected to this.

are these ok or do I have to figure out another way to route the two connections to reg. fan headers?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asus1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	94204

New ROGer Array Murph_9000 PC Specs
    Murph_9000 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair VIII Extreme
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5950X
    Memory (part number)Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16 (BL16G36C16U4B.M16FE1)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix Radeon™ RX 6750 XT OC Edition 12GB GDDR6
    MonitorROG Strix XG43UQ, XG27AQM
    Storage #1Seagate FireCuda 530
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin II 360
    CaseROG Strix Helios
    Power SupplyROG Thor 1200W Platinum
    Keyboard ROG Strix Scope RX, ROG Claymore II
    Mouse ROG Keris Wireless, ROG Chakram X
    Headset ROG Delta S
    Mouse Pad ROG Scabbard II
    OS Windows 11 Pro
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AX6000
    Accessory #1 LINKUP Ultra PCIe 4.0 x16 Riser Cable - Right Angle - 20cm

You can pretty much use the fan headers however you want, as long as you stay within the stated max current/power. That means you can have up to about 5 or 6 typical 1500 RPM 140mm case fans connected to each of those listed headers. For example, picked because I had the box beside my desk, the Noctua NF-A14 uses 1.56W or 0.13A; so you can actually have 7 of those on a single header for a combined 0.91A / 10.92W and be under the max limit. Personally, I'd probably not do more than 3 or 4 per header, and you can't control them individually, they all run at the same PWM speed, and only one fan's speed is actually monitored. I trust Noctua to get their current/power specs correct, be careful with unknown/cheap fans. Ideally, don't mix and match significantly different fans on a single header, as the PWM could give very different speeds for them. If your AIO has its own fan header(s), it can be a good idea or just convenient to use those for the radiator fans, but even that is kinda your choice.

It's better to have a few different groups of fans, such as back on one header, front on another, top on a 3rd header, etc. That gives you more tunable control over the airflow, in addition to not overloading any of the headers; you can adjust the fan curves independently for each group.

I have a personal preference for using the CHA headers for chassis fans, and leaving the CPU headers disconnected when the CPU is cooled through other means. That leaves the CPU headers available without a fuss if I need to swap the AIO out for an air cooler for some reason.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lascivious1 View Post
    Currently just finished the new build.
    My question is where I can connect some of the case fans.

1: Fan header 1 labeled "cpu_fan" can I have a solo case fan hooked to this? I dont have a cpu fan since I am using a AIO water cooler.

2: Fan header 2 labeled "cpu_opt" I have the A-RGB fan hub connected to this.

are these ok or do I have to figure out another way to route the two connections to reg. fan headers?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asus1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	94204

Hello,

You can use CPU_FAN header how you like, however CPU_OPT is slaved to it meaning it cannot be controlled independently from CPU_FAN.