cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for "good sound" on G74Sx

Moccamanden
Level 7
Heya lads and ladies,

I don't know if you've had issues with getting "ok" sounds, as I have, on the G74Sx - and I don't know, if this has been posted here before. I just wanted to share "my finding", because I'm really thrilled to finally get some decent sound out of the G74Sx.

Before the G74Sx I was the owner of a G73Jh and to be honest, I never had any real sound issues on that model(maybe because of the small "subwoofer" at the bottom). - And since I listen to rock and metal, bass has always been more or less an issue on the tin speakers of laptops.

Here is what I did on the G74Sx:

Download the Realtek HD Audio Driver from here: Realtek HD Audio Driver
When installed, go to speaker properties, choose "Enhancements".
Tick on "Environment" and choose the "Forest" preset.
Tick on "Equalizer" and try to hit this:

It made a huge difference for me and I almost "like" the way the G74Sx speakers sound now.
I do apologize if this has been posted before, but do try this if you think you have tinny sound or lack bass on your G74Sx 🙂
Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised!
- Capt. Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager
13 REPLIES 13

imbloodyskintag
Level 8
Worked nice, thankyou. Wish had more speakers though.

Yea, I know... It's quite obvious, when you hear the G74Sx speakers with default settings and drivers, that Asus did not spend a fortune on the built in speakers.
- But this way, with these settings and this driver, I feel it's quite alright to listen to rock/metal/anything with a vivid bass on the built in speakers. - Not something I could do with normal drivers and settings.

I'm glad you approve and it worked for you, imbloodyskintagain!

PILGRIM
Level 11
:)Thanks for sharing your find, Moccamanden .
I'm currently testing my sound by playing music with your configurations (minus the THX Pro)..

So far so good.
However, any of the preset "Environment" choices seem to have the same effect.
But the modded EQ (equalizer) surely makes a difference..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

AdelaisAer
Level 8
I have THX, and the latest Realtek HD driver, but I don't see "Enhancements" anywhere.
Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]

• 16GB RAM
  • nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB VRAM
  • Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB
  • 700GB 7200rpm HDD (x2 paritions, 350GB each)

dstrakele
Level 14
THX TruStudio provides a preset equalizer configuration. If this is used, any enhancements from the Realtek driver are disabled. You can use one or the other, but not both.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Yea, You can't use both THX TruStudio and the Realtek HD Drivers.
The reason I went away from THX TruStudio was because I had nothing but trouble with it. At one point it would work - at another not. Besides from that, it seems that Steam occasionally has/had problems with THX TruStudio(I experienced this when I had my G73Jh) and would refuse to load or lag like hell, making your gaming experience a living hell. I was told by some people that this was due to the fact, that Steam "thought" there was 2 soundcards conflicting or something like that.

Also, I have downloadet an iso from Digital River(Microsoft digital download site) long ago, because I really hate all the bloatware that comes with the default Asus installation(it takes 30 mins to clean out...). - So per default I have no THX TruStudio installed.

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Moccamanden wrote:
Yea, You can't use both THX TruStudio and the Realtek HD Drivers.

Just to be clear...you are still using the Realtek driver, even with THX or whatever 3rd party ehancement utility you use. What you can't use is the Realtek Audio Manager equalizer.

In Realtek Audio Manager, whether using presets or customized equalization, you can replicate the effect of any presets offered by the common 3rd party utils. It's just more cumbersome and time-consuming (unless you find a preset you like).

Ultimately, I found the paid version of SRS Essentials to be the best solution for us. It's very effective, it's a stable program, and it's easy to use. Again, I think the Realtek equalizer could do the same thing, but this is just an easier solution for $20.

Oh. :S Hm...If I upgrade my THX to some better pro version, would that help a lot, or would that be a waste of money?
Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]

• 16GB RAM
  • nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB VRAM
  • Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB
  • 700GB 7200rpm HDD (x2 paritions, 350GB each)

AdelaisAer wrote:
Oh. :S Hm...If I upgrade my THX to some better pro version, would that help a lot, or would that be a waste of money?

The thing is, however good a 3rd party sound enhancer may be (i.e. THX, SRS, etc.),
the fact still remains that the G74 built-in speakers leave much to be desired..

So, unless I always plug-in with a 5.1 or 7.1 external sound system, enhancing the
sound in the Realtek HD Audio Manager is just fine.
ASUS G74SX-3DE