cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AX11000 Behavior

br116
Level 7
Not sure if this is a normal behavior, but why ALL my WIFI devices connect to the router (MAC) that is 30ft away instead of the Nodes (3ft away)?
Is that the expected behavior? Why not connect to the strongest=closest signal (MAC address)94210?
9 REPLIES 9

jzchen
Level 14
I'll try to explain this one as I understand it but take it with a grain of salt so to speak.

As far as I know the default setting is for the router/node to disconnect and transfer to another node at signal strength of -70 dBm. This is a very weak signal. So unless it drops lower the connection will stay with the current one (in your case the router) even though there may be a better option. Clicking "optimize" is supposed to cause it to jump the better connection BUT I have noticed that it is not successful and will continue to reconnect with the last node/router...

I also noticed that newishly added nodes or nodes who's connection has been recently broken and reconnected tend to not connect to devices for a while. After a day or so you may start to see devices start to connect to it. (I assume this is some sort of built in logic to help devices stay connected to "stable" nodes).

I'm attempting to attach current connection per my ASUS router app. The three nodes are located next to exterior walls of the house. The router is (as best I could) centrally located.

jzchen wrote:
I'll try to explain this one as I understand it but take it with a grain of salt so to speak.

As far as I know the default setting is for the router/node to disconnect and transfer to another node at signal strength of -70 dBm. This is a very weak signal. So unless it drops lower the connection will stay with the current one (in your case the router) even though there may be a better option. Clicking "optimize" is supposed to cause it to jump the better connection BUT I have noticed that it is not successful and will continue to reconnect with the last node/router...

The router says my computer (example) is connected to the Node, But 2 WIFI Analyzer give me a different MAC address. Someone is lying to me, lol.
Never this last comment. 1 of the Analyzers is messedup.

br116 wrote:
The router says my computer (example) is connected to the Node, But 2 WIFI Analyzer give me a different MAC address. Someone is lying to me, lol.
Never this last comment. 1 of the Analyzers is messedup.

Can give example like first two digits different? Are you aware that one router/node, the MAC two ending digits slightly different between 2.4 and 5 radios. It isn't clear if you mean the same router/node or two different?

Yes the device list on ASUSWRT is not always correct where a computer, IoT etc are connected. I have a FEIT light switch that sometimes reported as connected via Ethernet directly to the router, but it's impossible no Ethernet port. Very likely connected via WiFi to a node, and the node is hardwired to the router...

"ESP...." device is a FEIT wall light dimmer switch. No Ethernet port.

Saltgrass
Level 13
One thing you might look at when investigating is the link speeds to each node. I would think that would give you a good gage as to what and why something might be connecting.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
One thing you might look at when investigating is the link speeds to each node. I would think that would give you a good gage as to what and why something might be connecting.

Nodes are hardwired.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

br116
Level 7
This has been "resolved" WIFI Tracker was reporting on the wrong MAC address.