cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant install windows 11

Lascivious1
Level 8
I have spent the last 2 hours trying everything to get windows to install on the pc. this is a fresh build. noting on it and I cant get the system to start the install. i notice in bios it recognizes the usb drive in and says what it is but the damn thing wont start. just keeps going back to the bios page enter screen. I have the boot options as usb drive and then M_1 drive.
What am I doing wrong?
25 REPLIES 25

Hopper64
Level 15
You’re not able to go to the boot menu in the bios and boot device override and click on the usb drive containing windows to start the install?
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Not_Enough_Rage
Level 11
I don`t mean to high jack your post Lascivious1, but I am having the exact same problem.
Hopper64, when I go into the Boot Menu and click on my USB drive that contains the OS to start the installation it keeps going back to the bios like OP has stated. It keeps doing this when windows goes through the restarts. It will not return the setup screen. Just keeps opening bios. What`s wrong?

TonyRoma
Level 7
Needs UEFI USB drive, not legacy BIOS? I create all my USB's using Rufus without issues.

TonyRoma wrote:
Needs UEFI USB drive, not legacy BIOS? I create all my USB's using Rufus without issues.

I`m using a USB drive that has W11 on it. Bought it from Micro Center.

Not_Enough_Rage wrote:
I`m using a USB drive that has W11 on it. Bought it from Micro Center.

Same here!
It is now somehow on my SSd drive but everytime I restart it goes right back to bios. I even took out the other SSD drive to only have one in. This is frustrating.
I followed every tutorial I could find and cant get this thing to boot in windows

Lascivious1 wrote:
Same here!
It is now somehow on my SSd drive but everytime I restart it goes right back to bios. I even took out the other SSD drive to only have one in. This is frustrating.
I followed every tutorial I could find and cant get this thing to boot in windows

Yea, I can see in my bios the OS is installing on the right drive on mine. But, for the life of me I don`t know why it keeps going back to bios instead of the setup screen when it restarts.

Some things to try:

1. "Load optimised defaults" in the BIOS and don't enable any form of overclocking, not even XMP/DOCP for memory, let your memory run at its native/slow speed. Do not change anything from defaults unless absolutely necessary. Try a boot with everything on defaults, before trying the next stuff.
2. Try disabling the UEFI CSM (compatibility support module) if enabled, or enabling it if disabled.
3. Make sure secure boot / TPM is enabled. I don't think it should be necessary to boot the installer, but it is necessary for actually running the installed OS.
4. If you have a working system and a spare USB memory stick (minimum 8GB, ideally USB3), try Create installation media for Windows.
5. If freshly created media for Windows 11 fails, try creating a Windows 10 USB and see if that works. It will possibly help you figure out if you have a hardware problem or a Windows problem.
6. Run memtest86 on it (it may be built in to your UEFI, depending on your board, or download and create a USB boot stick with it).
7. This sounds like a crash and system reset, maybe. If you're getting nowhere, try reseating everything, inspecting all of the edge connectors, sockets, pins, etc for any damage or contamination.

Hopper64
Level 15
Does the drive say something like UEFI:…….? I think the bios natively disables CSM so it must be installed UEFI. Also in the boot menu, Secure boot should be windows UEFI mode under OS type.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Hopper64 wrote:
Does the drive say something like UEFI:…….? I think the bios natively disables CSM so it must be installed UEFI. Also in the boot menu, Secure boot should be windows UEFI mode under OS type.

Nothing says UEFI..... on either the install drive nor the drive I am installing to. Yes, CSM is disabled. Should I enable it? In Secure Boot, it only has the option to click on Custom or Standard.
When enabling CSM, should Boot Device Control be set to UEFI only?
Which setting should Boot from Network Devices be set to? UEFI or Legacy?
Which setting should Boot from Storage Devices be set to? UEEFI or Legacy?
Which setting should Boot from PCI-E/PCI Expansion Devices be set to? UEFI or Legacy?